Help to identify please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
esperaza

Help to identify please

Post by esperaza »

I'm a new member & still inexperienced despite a long fascination with butterflies & moths. I hope I've attached the photo correctly, if so, this butterfly / moth was seen in my Oxfordshire garden about 3 weeks ago. I've never seen anything like it though it could quite likely be very common. Despite my best efforts I've been unable to identify it. Please could someone help identify? If so, much appreciated, thank you.
Attachments
Unidentified
Unidentified
dilettante

Re: Help to identify please

Post by dilettante »

Scarlet Tiger moth I'd say ukmoths link
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

Welcome to the site. Your photo is a Scarlet Tiger moth which can be quite variable.

Kevin.
esperaza

Post by esperaza »

That didn't take long, thank you both, much appreciated.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I noticed you said your garden is in Oxfordshire. You may be interested to know that this moth has been the subject of extensive and continuous study since at least 1928 - the studies being mainly concerned with the frequency of three forms in a colony at Cothill reserve in Oxfordshire. The first time I saw one was at Dry Sandford Pit, which is one of the Cothill reserves and a great place to visit, if you don't know it already.

Scarlet Tigers do seem to have become more common in recent years - I was really pleased when I saw one in my own garden, a couple of years ago, because, as you have seen, they are such striking insects.

I look forward to reading more about your local 'finds'

Mike
esperaza

Post by esperaza »

Yes Mike, Kidlinton to be precise. I'm an Abingdon boy so know Dry Sandford well though haven't visited the pit yet. Thanks, I'll make a point of visiting soon.

Return to “Identification”