Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

Great WLH images, Trevor. I dream of recording sequences like that!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Trevor - I thought it looked like a Large Tortoiseshell as well - compare the photo of the underside on the species page... It is near enough identical.

We need an expert Nymphalophile! :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Really nice WLH photos Trevor, seek and ye shall find. :D

All the best

James

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

That's a Large OK! It looks very fresh too, despite the minor tear. Brilliant find. I sent you a PM earlier Trevor.
BWs, Neil

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

:D :D Casually chucking in a large tortoiseshell like that ... You've joined an elite club, Trevor!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

This critter doesn't have yellow legs either!!

Interesting that it should be seen when searching for fellow elm-dwelling White Letter Hairstreaks.

You could have started something here.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I'm not sure Trevor knows yet! He's going to have one hell of a nice surprise when he logs on next. In the meantime ... quick - let's all enjoy his LT before he gets back.:D
Well spotted William. I must confess to not even having seen the image until I saw your comment and scrolled back.
BWs, Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You lucky bugger Trever! :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What a jammy geezer! :mrgreen: Mind you in the bird world if you didn't ID it then it doesn't count, do the same rules apply here :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150106.JPG
Firstly many thanks for all your kind and enthusiastic comments on the Large Tortoiseshell and my
White Letter Hairstreak images, the former was a fluke, the latter hard won after much searching
( and a sunburnt forehead ), and for me produced the most satisfaction.. I had not seen any WLH.
since 2013. I do hope however that LTs. can make a comeback if Dutch Elm disease can be kept under
some sort of control, if it's not WLH may become just as rare.
Today, on arrival at work i was met by an excited car salesman, who has a showroom next to the
workshop i use. Yesterday he had a Purple Emperor land by one of his cars briefly,it then landed on
the door of my workshop for a few seconds. No photo but a perfect description of the Butterfly was
given. So add Halnaker, West Sussex to the purple map !. :D
Halnaker is only 2.5 miles by road from Eartham Woods, a known Emperor site. But no sightings for me
today, but i did see many Silver Washed Fritillaries, Commas and Skippers .

TREVOR
Attachments
P1150109.JPG
Note two eyespots on one wing, three on the other!
Note two eyespots on one wing, three on the other!
P1150108.JPG

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Trevor. It's not just the eyespots. On the side with two double-pupilled ocelli the wing venation is all wrong. It looks as if a whole bit of wing has grown twice.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I have a thing for Hedge Browns Trevor and that one is by far the most envy inducing shot that I've seen, in fact I reckon that it's even more envy inducing than a Large Tort :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm in agreement with Guy, I'd say at some point in it's development that right forwing started growing twice and was then merged into one wing. Or perhaps late on it tried to split into two? Whatever happened it's very interesting to see.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Blimey Trevor, what a year you're having :D First, those fabulous PE shots (which were well deserved after all the time you put in), then the smashing WLH sequence and then a Large Tort :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Tell me this, how on earth can you be so casual about it?? Amazing find, and then you go on to find more stuff ...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Well done you!!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree with Pauline Trevor what a year your having, very envious of your WLH :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Send me a portion of your magic asap Trevor :lol: Fantastic :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

Two of our three visits today were spoilt by the weather, heavy cloud and a stiff breeze kept the Butterflies
from flying. But at Southwater Woods we found a sheltered spot, and with some sun we at last saw some action.
Several fresh looking White Admirals and summer brood Peacocks made for a good show, but the Silver Washed
Fritillaries were supercharged and not for stopping.

TREVOR
Attachments
P1150174.JPG
P1150173.JPG
P1150172.JPG

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I'm having a really good look at your photos this time Trevor just so I don't miss the Camberwell Beauty you've sneakily popped in there...... :wink:

Really nice White Admiral, I'd love a photo of one that fresh.

James

David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I'm having a really good look at your photos this time Trevor just so I don't miss the Camberwell Beauty you've sneakily popped in there...
LOL! :)

Wouldn't surprise me!

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150301.JPG
It has been several weeks since my last visit to the old railway cutting in Hailsham.
Among the changes that were noted was Bramble blossom giving way to ripening blackberries, in fact
the whole Flora and Fauna had transformed in the short time i had been away from the site.
This location always seems to come up with some Butterfly treats, and today it was two male
Holly Blues that stole the show !. Both were found flying close to the ground, mostly settling on Bird
droppings, they also rested for long periods with wings closed as the sun went in. BUT ! , as with that
lovely female i photographed back in the Spring with open wings, the two males duly opened up when
the sun reappeared, but only briefly before carrying on with their ground searching.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150302.JPG
P1150299.JPG
P1150298.JPG
P1150300.JPG
P1150296.JPG
P1150297.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”