Hello and larva ID if possible

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
DaveBasham

Hello and larva ID if possible

Post by DaveBasham »

Hello, folks.

David from Ipswich here.

I've got a caterpillar that was presented to me at the weekend for ID. I had to say that I didn't know then, and after consulting my Thomas & Lewington and the species accounts on here, that I don't still really. Rather than put up my suspicions first, and the evidence such as it is, I'd like to see what you all think. I will say now that it is from my allotment field in the middle of Ipswich UK. Anyone recognise this chap?
allotment5-7-15.jpg
P1020868.JPG
Chris Speke

Re: Hello and larva ID if possible

Post by Chris Speke »

Looks like a ' Blue ' larva.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi David

I was hoping that someone would have suggested something by now, because I'm stumped. It looks very much like a pale form of a White-letter Hairstreak larva, but it's too late in the season to expect to see such a thing.
Second opinions welcomed :)

Vince
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

All I would venture would be Lycid (obviously). Any clues as to habitat or possible foodplants to help us?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

My natural instinct was like you Vince - White-letter Hairstreak, and it was a cold, late spring. However, the allotment habitat might point to Holly Blue on probability, and the larvae are variable as they aren't restricted to the well-documented Holly and ivy. I've heard of a red larvae found in a raspberry that was reared through to Holly Blue adult. And I've heard of them egg laying on lucerne, pyracantha, and today, on Mugwort!
DaveBasham

Post by DaveBasham »

Thanks everyone.

Yes my initial reaction was to think Lycaenidae, and I still do.

We are lucky enough to have Holly Blue, Common Blue and Green Hairstreak on the allotment and this chap was found on some Loganberry underneath a Buckthorn tree and about 3m from my Birdsfoot Trefoil patch. About 7m from a small Holly bush.

A reasonably mature larva in the first week of July doesn't rule any of the above out.

I'm not quite sure why but my instinct says Hairstreak, so Green Hairstreak. But is it really???

It was presented to me on a loganberry so perhaps it was feeding on that. I must admit that at the time I thought the loganberry was incidental but maybe it wasn't and Essex Bertie is right with Holly Blue - perhaps it was on the dessert course before putting it's feet up and pupating!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

My initial instinct was green hairstreak, but like Vince I decided to wait until someone else had a go. :D It does seem very pale and the lateral line is not very visible but the context seems to fit.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I have just convinced myself that it's a (pale) Green Hairstreak larva :)

Vince
DaveBasham

Post by DaveBasham »

Well thanks a lot for everyone's thoughts. The consensus is that it's probably Green Hairstreak.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been interesting to have kept hold of it to rear it through, although having never done anything like that the thought is a little bit daunting I must admit, especially for GH.

Cheers for now,

David.

Return to “Identification”