Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Goldie M »

:mrgreen: I agree with Pauline and Wurzel, Neil, your photos are great especially the one with two High Brown Frits on thistles, It must be a couple of years since I've seen them, I must go up to Arnside Knot to see if they've arrived yet Goldie :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the great comments Wurzel and Pauline :D you do know that envy is one of the seven deadly sins don't you, I am sure you are not sinful people :wink: :lol:

Thanks Goldie :D I believe the Arnside HBFs are usually a week or two behind those in the south-west which I think have been out now for a couple of weeks so yours should be out anytime now if not already.

Monday 29th June – Heddon Valley Day 2.

After breakfast I went for a little stroll down the path to Heddons Mouth, this time going down the other (left) side of the river. There was a fair bit of early cloud around and not much was yet stirring on the butterfly front, just a few Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods. Further along there is a wooden footbridge across the river where I crossed over and carried on down the other side. I spotted some Grey Wagtails looping and skimming up and down the river and watched them for a while as they were catching beaks full of flies and taking them to a couple of youngsters that I noticed sitting perched on rocks in the stream.
Grey Wagtail - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
Grey Wagtail - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
Grey Wagtails - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
Grey Wagtails - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
As it started to warm up I started seeing good numbers of Large Skippers plus flying amongst them a couple of fresh male Small Skippers.
Small Skipper - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
Small Skipper - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
There were also a few faded Small Heaths and Common Blues along here with a few fresher looking Common Blues appearing amongst some really old and tatty looking examples.
Common Blue - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
Common Blue - Heddons Mouth 29.06.2015
I then went back to meet up with Jane, stopping off briefly to take a shot of the stone bridge on the way. Jane has commented before that she thinks that this bridge looks like it should have a troll living under it. That's what happens when you read as many fantasy books as she does (although I do see what she means)
Heddon 2015 212 resize.JPG
We then went out for a little drive around to Combe Martin so she could have a nose around the touristy shops. The clouds were steadily breaking up and it was turning into a nice warm late morning so after sitting outside with a coffee in Combe Martin for a bit we headed back to the Heddon Valley. We then sat outside the Hunters Inn with a cold drink and carried on watching the world go by and occasionally getting buzzed by a Red Admiral that appeared to have taken up residence at the front of the pub.

Later in the afternoon I went out for another walk, this time heading through Parsonage Wood, to check out the wet meadow that UKB member Rogerdodge had told me about a couple of years back and where I had seen good numbers of DGFs and HBFs. Things had changed a bit along here during the past couple of years and I noticed that most of the open areas along the path had been cut back and had new locked gates preventing access, including the previously mentioned wet meadow. I am guessing that this is all part of the conservation efforts for the HBF which is being carried out in the area and is to encourage the right mix of bracken and violets that this species requires. The bank of brambles was still there and a single SWF and a couple of HBFs were flitting about on the flowers although in the now hot afternoon sun they didn’t stay still long enough for any photos.

I then carried on along the track and picked up the path that leads up to Ladies Mile and carried on up the hill a bit to enjoy the view back down the valley.
Heddon 2015 221 resize.JPG
There were good numbers of both DGFs and HBFs flying rapidly across the slopes here but it was impossible to count them accurately as they whizzed back and forth across the bracken. The males would often appear to have settled but in reality they had ducked down into the bracken in their search for females and would pop up again a few yards further along and be off again at high speed.

The biggest problem I had here in trying to get a photo of the Frits was the number of male Large Skippers…
Large Skipper - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Large Skipper - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
…there were loads of them all over the place and nearly every time a DG or HB looked like it was going to settle for a minute, one of the little s*ds would dart in and see them off :evil: . I got quite exasperated with them and even found myself shouting at them a couple of times when they put up a nicely posed individual just as I was about to take the shot…must have been the heat :oops:

In the end I just managed to get a couple of shots, one of each species.
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Dark Green Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Dark Green Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
There were also half a dozen or so old and faded Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries along this stretch, again often hassled by the Large Skippers, but surprisingly these seemed more willing to stand their ground instead of being chased off like their bigger cousins.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Meadow Browns were everywhere along with Ringlets, Common Blues and a couple of Green Hairstreaks. One of the latter looked to be in remarkably good condition and was posed nicely on top of a bramble blossom when it was hassled by a Common Blue which disturbed it and took its place :roll: . I refused to take a photo of the Common Blue out of principle.

A couple of male SWFs were also patrolling the lower parts of the slopes by the trees, at least one of which was already showing signs of a hard life amongst the brambles.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Silver-washed Fritillary - Heddon Valley 29.06.2015
Now for something completely off topic that could have been so much worse but luckily wasn’t.

Later on, back at the Hunters Inn and after having something to eat, we were sitting in the bar sometime after 7.30 where I was set up to enjoy a leisurely pint or two of Exmoor Beast (This stuff has to be taken leisurely otherwise it appears to alter gravity in your immediate vicinity). There was a crash and a bang from outside and everyone in the bar went out the front to see what had happened.
A mini-bus had come down the steep lane from Martinhoe and, failing to negotiate the bend at the bottom, had gone through the hedge and ended up on its nose in front of the pub :shock:
The driver was the only occupant and once it was established that he was not hurt, the camera phones all came out, including mine…well, since I didn’t have signal there I may as well use it for something.
Oops!
Oops!
image4 resize.jpg
Apparently he had dropped a party off earlier that day and had a few days to himself to explore the area before picking them up again later in the week. The Gaffer called a local recovery truck and by the time we went down for breakfast the following morning the mini-bus was gone and all was looking tidy again apart from a bit of a gap in the hedge. Talking to the locals in the bar afterwards, apparently over the years a few cyclists have failed to make that bend but that was the first mini-bus that had done it.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
Your High Browns and Small Pearls are owed a :mrgreen: , especially as we in East Sussex no longer
have a Small Pearl population locally.
Your pint of beer wasn't the only thing causing unusual occurancies with gravity !.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

PS. High Browns and beer sounds like an excellent combination.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fascinating report, great shotsand with an unusal climax Neil :shock: :D I think I'll put HBF at the top of my wish list, though hopefully errant mini-buses won't feature in my visit :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well that was a very out of the ordinary end to what seems like a fantastic break!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots of the High Brown Frits from Heddon Neil. We can relate to your report having visited this site last year. Also great shots of the Black Hairstreaks on your second visit to Whitecross, your perseverance paid off :) :wink:

Mike

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Wonderful photos as always Neil. Brought back memories of my visits to Heddon Mouth. And if you're going to have a no casualty crash what a place to do it: right outside the pub!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Neil, not one but four different Fritillaries, now that's greedy :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor, hopefully you may have Small Pearls back nearer home in the not too distant future.

Cheers Wurzel, now you have got your Heaths I reckon it won't be long before you get your High Browns :wink: .

Hi Bugboy, out of the ordinary yes, but not quite the end. Still had another day to go :D

Thanks Mike, Those Black Hairstreak shots were the result of one of those lucky, 'I'll just have a quick look down here' moments. If I had carried on past the side path I would have missed them.

Hi Hoggers, I suppose you could call it serendipitous :wink:

Sorry about being greedy Goldie, still not beaten my last visit to here a couple of years back when I saw the same four species plus Heath Frits in Bin Combe on the same day, so not all that greedy after all this time :wink: :lol:

Tuesday 30th June – Heddon Valley Day 3.

Monday afternoon had turned out rather hot and today was forecast to be even hotter so I reckoned the plan would be to have a walk in the morning and then see how it turned out before we decided what to do for the rest of the day.
The morning started beautifully with clear blue skies and not a cloud in sight, so after breakfast I went out for my little walk. I figured that it would soon be uncomfortably hot on the higher paths and so decided to head for the meadows just past the stone bridge where there was more shade available. Arriving at the meadow at about 9.30 it was obvious that the butterflies were already wide awake.
Not yet 10.00am and already getting hot.
Not yet 10.00am and already getting hot.
Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skippers and Common Blues were all over the place with a number of orange Fritillaries zipping back and forth over the thistles and stopping quite frequently to feed from them. At least two of these were SWF, easily identified by their larger size and different flight pattern but separating the others between DGF and HBF was not easy unless they settled long enough for a good view. There were also now a couple of new summer Commas here to add to the confusion of tawny orange butterflies. As is my usual practice, I found a couple of likely looking spots and just stood there or moved slowly between them to see what settled.

As in the previous afternoon, no sooner had a fritillary settled than it would often be investigated or accosted by another butterfly, but this time it was not just the Large Skippers…everything was getting in on the act :roll: During the next hour or so I watched numerous occasions where a large gaggle of butterflies would develop and go tumbling off along the meadow, often consisting of most of the species present. I also watched trains of up to 5 fritillaries weaving and looping about above the thistles looking remarkable like they were all attached together with string, like some miniature oriental kite.

I did however manage to get a few photos, including some DGF undersides this time as they were already closing their wings more often in the heat, to regulate their temperature.
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 30.06.2015
High Brown Fritillaries - Heddon Valley 30.06.2015
High Brown Fritillaries - Heddon Valley 30.06.2015
Dark Green Fritillary - Heddon Valley 30.06.2015
I reckon that there were probably equal numbers of High Browns and Dark Greens in this spot, around 10-12 of each to start with, although I did notice the numbers start to drop as it got warmer until there were just a couple of HBs and maybe four or five DGs left here about an hour later. Whether they were dispersing over the higher slopes or starting to tuck themselves away in the heat I am not sure, although I did watch a DGF fly high up into the trees by the river and stay there.

I then carried on down the path towards Heddons Mouth and in a spot just before it opens out by a scree slope found another, slightly faded, DGF that was lazily skimming up and down the path and settling regularly which gave me another chance for a few underside shots.
Still not a cloud in the sky...
Still not a cloud in the sky...
With it getting hotter and hotter I then turned back to meet Jane at the Hunters Inn where we just plonked ourselves at a table outside with a cold drink to chill for a bit. Whilst there we noticed the Red Admiral from yesterday was still buzzing around although the only time we saw it settle was up on the roof of the pub.
Over the next couple of hours we went for a leisurely stroll along one of the shady paths that Jane could manage and then returned to have an ice cream from the National Trust shop. As we were sitting outside the shop enjoying the ice creams a Painted Lady came along, did a couple of loops of the flower beds by the shop and then continued off up the lane at high speed.

In the end we didn’t do much else for the rest of the day, it had become too hot really and had turned into one of those days that is really best spent doing as little as possible, which we were both quite content to do…Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that.

The following morning, I went to put some stuff in our car as we were checking out after breakfast and spotted the Red Admiral already up and flying about the front of the pub. It teased me by circling my head a couple of times before shooting off and I thought that was the last I would see of it. I was wrong because a bit later, as we were getting into the car to leave, it flew back and settled on the ground a few yards away from the car. I quickly grabbed the camera which was on the back seat and took a quick shot before it was off again.
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 01.07.2015
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 01.07.2015
It almost felt as if it had come to say goodbye and was a nice final touch to a fantastic few days :D

Bye for now,

Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great stuff, I LOVE the sound of that meadow with all those butterflies tormenting you. So many fritillaries :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Bugboy, that sounds like a cracking place :D :mrgreen: , OS GRid references would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Excellent Heddon Valley reportage Neil, right up to your usual high standard and those images are cracking :wink:

Your exasperation with the Large Skipper had me chuckling, I've been at odds with them myself and I'm so pleased to know I'm not the only one who shouts at them in frustration...and its got nowt' to do with the heat Neil :twisted: :lol:

Kind Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Neil, your photos are mouth watering , your description of all those Butterflies sounds fantastic, some thing I've yet to see this year Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Buggy, it was certainly great to just stand there and be surrounded by butterflies :D

Cheers Wurzel , I have sent you a PM with a bit of info just in case you make it in that direction sometime :wink:

Thanks Bill, good to know I am not the only one too. How many of us do the same and then sheepishly look around to see if anyone has heard us :D I had visions of hearing stories later in the bar about some mad bloke in the valley :lol:

I am sure your turn will come Goldie, I have seen similar sights at Arnside in previous years. In fact I will be up your way again in a few weeks, stopping for a couple of days near Gait Barrows this time :D .

A busy few days so just a little catch up post to keep on top of things.

Thursday 2nd July

It is that time of the year now when Specklies are a constant presence in my garden. There are nearly always two or three males holding territories with fresh ones showing up constantly to replace the old ones as they come to the end of their turn in the ring. It is the females that I am always most glad to see as it hopefully means that eggs have been laid somewhere in the garden to continue the cycle.
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 02.07.2015
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 02.07.2015
Friday 3rd July

A thirty minute walk around the park by my Moms house on Friday afternoon produced loads of Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Large Skippers plus a few Small Skippers. I saw at least three mating pairs of Meadow Browns and got some photos of the one pair that wasn't tucked well down in the long grass.
Meadow Brown pair - Langley Hall 03.07.2015
Saturday 4th July

Although my garden is not really ideal habitat for grassland butterflies, I usually have a few Meadow Browns show up during the summer. Saturday morning I spotted a nice fresh male that looked like he had emerged there rather than come wandering in. He had that lovely iridescent sheen that fresh examples have and which I have totally failed to do justice to in the photos I took,
Meadow Brown male - Coverdale 04.07.2015
Later in the afternoon I nipped out for an hour or so along one of the footpaths at my local site at Castle Hills. Conditions were warm and sunny with high fluffy clouds but also with a stiff breeze blowing. Meadow Browns and Ringlets were everywhere as were Large skippers, many of the latter now looking faded but with still a good number of fresh ones about. Small Skipper numbers were still low with maybe a dozen seen all told. Despite looking carefully there were no Essex amongst them as yet. No Gatekeepers here yet either but it cant be long now before both of these show up.
I was also please to see that Marbled Whites have definitely consolidated their spread to this site with a good couple of dozen seen scattered about plus maybe a dozen or so of Small Heaths.

Taking photos was difficult, with the butterflies either active in the sun or settling low down out of the breeze when they did stop, so I only took a few record shots as I wandered about.
Marbled White - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Marbled White - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Small Heath - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Small Heath - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Ringlet - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
Ringlet - Castle Hills 04.07.2015
All common and widespread species but lots of them on a pleasant afternoon despite the blustery breeze :D

Bye for now,

Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You have an incredible ability Neil to make the more common butterflies look something really special. I am thinking in particular the Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown (both last year's shots and this year). I have tried to emulate some of your shots and failed abysmally. I wish I knew how you did it cos I don't think I have one decent shot of a Speckled Wood :( :mrgreen:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thank you for those very kind words Pauline, they are really appreciated :D

Once I have found the basic settings that I like I don't really fiddle with my camera much other than change the exposure as I have mentioned before. To be honest, other than the basics, I have not really got much of a grasp of the technical side of things. I consider myself a butterfly enthusiast who happens to take photos of them rather than a 'photographer' and try to capture the character of the individual species and I hope that this comes across in my photos.

I am also fortunate with the resident Speckled Woods in my garden which give me plenty of opportunity for practice, in fact I try to get a photo of as many as I can in order to identify different individuals.

Meadow Browns can be a challenge to get a decent photo, too bright and they close their wings, too dull and they close their wings, Too warm and they never stop, too cool and they stop down in the grass. Now I think of it I don't know how I manage to get any shots of them at all :lol: .

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely sheen on the Meadow Brown Neil, he looks fresh out of the box :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I reckon he had just emerged in the garden :D

It’s raining heavily outside at the moment so a chance to do a quick post...

Friday 10th July.

Friday was a nice a nice warm and sunny day with fluffy white clouds drifting across the blue sky. After finishing work at lunchtime and doing my usual Friday afternoon running about, I sat down in the back garden with a coffee to chill out for a few minutes.
As well as the usual couple of male Speckled Wood in their corners there were half a dozen Ringlets bobbing about the brambles at the bottom end of the garden. This is a species that I see in large numbers at my local spots at this time of year but only usually get the odd one or two show up in the garden so I reckon that these may have emerged here in the areas of long grass that I leave to grow.

Later in the afternoon, around 4.00pm, I popped out for a look around Shadowbrook Meadows to see what was about. As expected, there were loads of Meadow Browns and Ringlets with plenty of Skippers, both Large and Small but no Essex yet. I have seen the latter species here in previous years but all of the ‘Smalls’ I checked today were definitely those.
Small Skipper - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
Small Skipper - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
A couple of tired and worn male Common Blues were still hanging in there with one of them trying it on with an equally tired looking female who was having none of it,
Common Blues - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
Common Blues - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
I spent about an hour here and as well as the species mentioned above also saw half a dozen unidentified whites and singles of Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and my first Gatekeeper of the year which like most things this afternoon didn't want to stop in the muggy heat.
Comma - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
Comma - Shadowbrook Meadows 10.07.2015
Bye for now,

Neil

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Neil, I was struck by your photo of the female Common Blue giving the cold shoulder to a male as it reminded me of how the female Small Coppers go about it - similar kind of pose, only the Copper will flutter her hind wings whilst holding her fore wings vertically.

I wonder if it's the behaviour of the female that signals to the male that he should go elsewhere, or maybe a chemical that she wafts back at him that switches off his mating ambitions?

Fascinating report as always,

Best wishes,

Hoggers

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I've not been able to have a look at your "and everyone else's" diaries much lately Neil so I'm catching up. Those High Brown and DG Fritillary photos of yours are fantastic. :D

Best Wishes

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”