High Brown Fritillary and Scotch Argus

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Yashca

High Brown Fritillary and Scotch Argus

Post by Yashca »

Hi all,

I'm considering a Lancashire trip for either or both of the above species. What date would be best for an opportunity to see both? Are High Brown flying in Lancashire yet?

I've never visited the area butterflying before so any recommendations on exactly where to search would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
web4160

Re: High Brown Fritillary and Scotch Argus

Post by web4160 »

I visited Arnside Knott on Friday (which is technically just in Cumbria!) Plenty of Dark Green and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries to be seen together with one each of Grayling and a very worn Northern Brown Argus. No definite sightings of High Brown although one possible which I caught in flight. I would expect there to be some flying by the end of this week, although the weather forecast doesn't look to good up until Thursday. Too early for Scotch Argus yet. If you wanted to see both High Brown and Scotch Argus looking at previous years the last week in July is probably the best bet?
Attachments
DSC05345_edited-1.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Smardale Gill is an excellent location for Scotch Argus. You'll find details of this reserve, and many others, on the Cumbria Wildlife Trust site at http://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/ ... e/reserves
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

web4160 wrote: No definite sightings of High Brown although one possible which I caught in flight.
DSC05345.jpg
As no one has commented on the photo yet, I will step in and confirm this is a 100% High Brown Fritillary :)

Vince
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Weather this week has taken a bit of a down-turn - I'm thinking maybe the end of next week. I'll be too early for the Argus but will hopefully see some lovely fresh High Browns. Just need some weather!
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Vince Massimo wrote:

As no one has commented on the photo yet, I will step in and confirm this is a 100% High Brown Fritillary :)

Vince
In that case there should be plenty about by the end of next week. I thought this was the earliest date I had for High Brown's at Arnside Knott but on checking found an earlier record from 2010 of 19 June!
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

I found the Scotch Argus on Arnside Knott on 15th July last year, they hadn't been out long, they were at the top of the Knott on the west side.

Russ
Attachments
The "bore" coming up the estuary, seen from the Knott.
The "bore" coming up the estuary, seen from the Knott.
SAM_1155.JPG
SAM_1139.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You'll probably find the Scotch Argus, are out the Last week in July and the 1st week in August, to be sure of them at Arnside Knot.

The High Brown, when I've taken shots of them have been out around the 20th of July but this as been at Gait Barrow, which is half
way between Silverdale and Arnside . Silverdale is in Lancashire, you'll also find Northern Brown A there plus many others Goldie M :D
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

I'm heading off to Lancashire/Cumbria tomorrow and am hoping to visit Arnside Knott, Warton Crag and Gait Barrows. Weather looks cool and sunny. ANy last minute instructions as to which of these sites is best and where exactly the best spots on the reserves are?

Any orchid information for the area?

Thanks everyone!
web4160

Post by web4160 »

At Arnside the path from the car park on the south side is good for Grayling. Fritillary can be found at the top of the Knott between the two areas of trees and also on the slope to the north side. There is a field full of ferns which is also a good spot which is off the approach Road. If scotch argus are out the top area is best.

Gait Barrows. For fritillary the best area in my experience is by the water although most of my visits have been earlier in the year looking for Dukes.

Warton Crag. Best area again seems to be the fields with ferns in them.

Hope you have a good day.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At Gait Barrow, there's two ways you can go, the White Trail and the Purple Trail, if you follow the WT this will lead you to a gate which leads into a meadow, (ignore the gate and turn to your left) this leads back up through the Lime stones but if you look to your right after you've gone about ten paces you'll see a path which winds round and up ( the meadow should be on your right separated by a wall, follow this path if your lucky and their flying they should be at the top of this hill.

The Northern Brown if they're there will be near the barn which is on the Purple Trail also you should see Graylings on both trails.

If you've time the meadow also should have Butterflies Good luck Goldie :D
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

Thanks everyone for the advice - saw High Brown (but only just confirmed it from poor photos!) as well as Northern Brown Argus and Dark Red Helleborine. Too early for Scotch Argus I think - sorely tempted to try again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Return to “Sites”