Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Katrina

Post by Wurzel »

Fab shots Katrina, I'm especially jealous of the Large Heaths and NBAs :mrgreen: Were teh Wood Whites that you saw hangers on form the first generation or new Second generation?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Goldie, they certainly weren't easy to photograph. I think we were lucky finding what I think was a fairly newly emerged one which was more obliging. Also was helpful to have my sister who was good at spotting them!
Thank you Wurzel, I think they were still first generation Wood Whites.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Wet Feet Dawn

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went with my sister at just after dawn to Insh Marshes hoping to find roosting Northern Brown Argus. It had been raining the night before, the weather was sunny but there was pockets of mist. We couldn't resist stopping at Ruthven Barracks to take a picture on the way. We didn't find any Northern Brown Argus but my sister spotted 2 Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries which were somewhat covered in dew. Near them we quickly spotted two others. Later we found a Bee Hawkmoth, one Common Blue and two Small Heaths. We returned later to the SPFs to see them wake up.
Attachments
Ruthven Barracks
Ruthven Barracks
Small Pearl-bordered Frtillaries at Insh Marshes
Small Pearl-bordered Frtillaries at Insh Marshes
SPF single.jpg
Bee Hawkmoth.jpg
Small Heaths.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Extra photos
Attachments
DSC07356 - Version 2.jpg
DSC07371.jpg
DSC07458.jpg
DSC07477.jpg
DSC07486.jpg
DSC07520.jpg
DSC07541.jpg

William

Post by William »

Superb shots of the Fritillaries waking up, Katrina, and the roosting Bee Hawk (Narrow-Bordered I think) is a real find :)

BWs,

William

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Your report and images gives a great sense of actually being there, much enjoyed Katrina :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful Photos , I love the ones where the frit's are covered in dew :mrgreen: :D wish I'd taken it Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you William, luckily we had been told that some Bee Hawk-moths had been spotted otherwise I might have passed it by.

Thank you Willrow and Goldie

I am adding a bonus photo from that day.
Attachments
DSC07514.JPG

Katrina

More of the Same

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went back to Insh Marshes and saw 8 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries and 3 Northern Brown Argus as well as Small Heaths.
Attachments
DSC07632 - Version 2.JPG
DSC07707.JPG
DSC07711.JPG
DSC07725.JPG
DSC07737.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just seen these Katrina - lovely dewy Pearls, some very atmospheric shots, and great NBA :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Katrina, I love the expression of the BF on the third photo :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots Katrina, something really special, oozing atmosphere and possibly the most photos of my "I wish I'd taken that" category in a single post:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just caught up with your PD, those early morning shots are beautiful :) If I didn't love my bed so much I'd try to get some similar ones myself :lol:!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Beautiful images Katrina :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Pauline, Goldie, Wurzel, Bugboy and Maximus. I think I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Today was a good day for seeing butterflies but not for photographing them. I started a bit late at Botany Bay . I think I saw two purple emperors on the ground but the first was in vegetation and it later came down to the same place and the secondone just briefly touched down. I went to Chantry Hill on the way back briefly but all the butterflies were flying supercharged. I saw Dark Green Fritillaries, one Red Admiral, one Painted Lady and one Small Tortoishell as well as skippers, Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns.
I then went to the Pavilion Gardens in the early evening. I eventually saw the Monarch thanks to Leigh and Tim. It was high in a tree and moved position a few times.
Attachments
White Admiral Botany Bay
White Admiral Botany Bay
Monarch Pavilion Gardens
Monarch Pavilion Gardens
DSC07939.JPG
DSC07958.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Katrina,
Good to see you again today. So you got to see the Monarch !.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! I leave the UK for a week and a half and Monarchs arrive in my absence!!

Katrina

Ruthven Barracks

Post by Katrina »

I thought I would post a better photo of Ruthven Barracks taken by my sister at the same time as mine. She has just won the Strathspey Heralds readers' photo of the week competition with it.
Attachments
Image.jpg

Katrina

Monarch Morning

Post by Katrina »

The Monarch was still in the Pavilion Gardens, Brighton, this morning. I think its first appearance was about 9.15. Also seen were White-letter Hairstreaks. What a fabulous morning! I started by bumping into B. Rex who quickly pointed out a White-letter hairsteak. Then soon a man in a hat spotted the Monarch. The Monarch was around for a short time allowing photos then disappeared and was refound across the road. I saw plenty of other enthusiasts during the morning including meeting Pauline for the second time in two days. There was a man from Littlehampton with a bicycle who later refound the Monarch and was very good at spotting WLHs, and quite a few others keen to see the butterfly. Later Neil Hulme and Dan Danahar arrived and Dan refound the Monarch at the Victoria Fountain and we followed it back to the Pavilion Gardens. There were quite a few bemused onlookers. I think one of my lasting memories will be the sight of Neil and Dan running down the lawn in front of the Pavilion in pursuit of the Monarch.
I finished the morning by having a look at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition in the museum in the Pavilion Gardens.
Attachments
monarch 4.jpg
monarch 1.jpg
monarch 2.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It certainly was a fabulous morning, wasn't it Katrina? :D (Thank you I eventually picked up your messages). I guess this is something that we will all remember - the sight of that magnificent butterfly gliding around the gardens and allowing close up shots before it warmed up and became a bit skittish. You got some great shots of it. I notice from my photos that it sustained some damage later that it didn't have before I left at mid-day - I hope you also got some WLH that you are pleased with too?

Return to “Personal Diaries”