Silver-studded Blues - Thursley or Fairmile?

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Adrian Dowling

Silver-studded Blues - Thursley or Fairmile?

Post by Adrian Dowling »

This weds I have to drop my wife off for a day at RHS Wisley and was thinking of trying somewhere for Silver-studded Blues (as we don't get them here in East Kent), so I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
I know it is going to be very hot on Weds, which may scupper my plans anyway (I don't cope well in the heat), but which would be my best bet - go on to Thursley or drive up to Fairmile. I have been to Thursley a couple of times (but not for SSB's) and never been to Fairmile so any suggestions/directions on where to find them at either site would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian
FISHiEE

Re: Silver-studded Blues - Thursley or Fairmile?

Post by FISHiEE »

Bramshott common just south if the Hindhead tunnel is my favourite spot. Plenty of butterflies in a small area. There gave been plenty this year.

Can send some more details later if you are interested.
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

FISHiEE - Thanks for the offer of info on Bramshott Common, it would be appreciated.
I'm not sure if it would be too far from Wisley in the time I have available this time, but would certainly be useful when visiting family that way.
Regards,
Adrian
millerd

Post by millerd »

Fairmile Common is no great distance from Wisley, Adrian. You go up the A3 and cross the M25, then take the next junction to Cobham. From there, take the A307 towards Esher. After passing the Premier Inn on the left, take the first left after a set of lights. It looks like the entrance to a school by the big concrete signs, but it's a public road. Follow it until you come to a bridge over the A3 - the car park is on the right immediately before the bridge. Explore in all directions, especially the bit next to the road. There should still be SSBs flying.

Dave
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Thanks for the info Dave, I appreciate it.
I take it that SSB's have been on the wing for a while then, for some reason I had it in my mind that they started emerging around mid-July.

Adrian
millerd

Post by millerd »

I saw my first ones there on 13th June, and then visited again on 24th, when there were quite a few more out. You should still see them, but there will be fewer fresh ones I suspect.

Dave

Return to “Sites”