Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Willrow

Re: Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Last Thursday promised good weather and I took advantage by heading over to Danesway Bank in Gloucestershire and the chance to enjoy some time with Large Blue. Now as many of you know this is one of the few public access sites for the species ongoing re-introduction project, one of the major benefits of going public here has mean't some visitor pressure has been taken off Collard Hill in Somerset - which is to butterfly enthusiasts what Glastonbury is to music lovers :shock: :) - on Thursday I was surprised at how many other enthusiasts would be on 'the banks' most if not all toting digital camera gear hoping to get that defining shot of the lovely blue insect. The weather really was too good (is that possible :shock: ) because the males were hyper, zooming up and down the banks seeking out females to have their wicked way with :P I decided not to waste time trying for any pics - well I had some crackers last year :) and so I decided to just relax and enjoy the lovely location, that was until a mating pair of LB were discovered and then it was interesting to watch enthusiasts taking photos from all angles and when they had sated themselves I got a few record shots...I was so cool about the whole business I surprised myself 8) just a few years ago I would have been in there with the best of them for that top-shot :wink:
Just a momento shot of the paired Large Blues
Just a momento shot of the paired Large Blues
I was pleased to add Marbled White and Ringlet to my year list, the former was also hyper active in the sunshine and frustrated many would be photo-takers, thats the beauty of occasional cloud cover - the sun gets em' up and the cloud puts em' down...just as we like it eh! folks :wink: Other species of note were Green Hairstreak, Brown Argus and several Painted Lady. I'm afraid the banks became a bit too crowded for my liking and with the imminent arrival of a group from Butterfly Conservation (Gloucestershire Branch) I headed on to a more peaceful location for the afternoon and early evening.

Swellshill Bank, Bownham Common, Near Stroud is usually a good place for peace and quiet and so it proved a sensible choice after the hustle and bustle of Danesway. Here I enjoyed just the company of crowds of Marbled White and took the opportunity to watch and photograph these lovely butterflies that simply epitomise our summers...here are a few pics :)
Full pose Marbled White
Full pose Marbled White
Side view of male Marbled White
Side view of male Marbled White
Getting ready to roost in the tall grasses
Getting ready to roost in the tall grasses
Before my day in sunny Gloucestershire came to an end I added another seasons first when a freshly emerged male Small Skipper was noticed among the tall grasses that the MW were using to roost in, the breeze decided to put in an appearance though and the insect was buffeted about but I finally nailed a few images...and from a butterflies perspective its better to be photographically nailed than pinned :shock: well thats how our earlier 'butterflying enthusiasts' got their records isn't it :roll: :(
Male Small Skipper
Male Small Skipper
Still for just a while...
Still for just a while...
Side-on view of the same Small Skipper
Side-on view of the same Small Skipper
Mid-summer is now with us and its time to enjoy our other summer butterflies, hopefully in similar weather conditions as my visit to 'the banks' allowed, however its now 10 pm on our longest day and although its cloudy and raining I'm only just closing the curtains...cos' I can no longer see the keyboard to finish off this post :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A great read Bill. I'm loving your sense of humour :D - Smashing shots too especially the SS - and yes, it's raining here too :(

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Pauline wrote:A great read Bill. I'm loving your sense of humour :D - Smashing shots too especially the SS - and yes, it's raining here too :(
Thanks Pauline, always nice to get a bit of positive feedback...and its also good to share a bit of fun and friendly banter :) :P

Regards,

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Well! well!...believe it or not I've almost caught up with my Personal Diary :shock: :) this report is a rather short one...Oh! thank goodness for that I hear all you long sufferers sighing... :lol:

Alun Valley, Near Bridgend, South Wales Hasty decision to check out the High Brown Fritillary site after lunch last Friday proved worthwhile and justified the 35 mile journey down to the coast. At least twenty frits were seen, those nectaring on Marsh Thistle I edged my bets towards Dark Green Fritillary while those seen nectaring on bramble were probably High Brown Fritillary in either case I tried to get a positive ID and I confirmed 5 HBF - this site is one of the few where binoculars can prove very useful, the two near related fritillaries found here together can pose the best butterflyers problems, especially in windy conditions and it was very breezy last Friday.

One of the High Browns came down out of the wind and rested long enough in a 'fern-cut corridor' to allow me to sneak up (sneaky is best :twisted: ) and get a sequence of shots and this proved to be the only good chance I had of any record shots, the bonus being the butterfly was a nice conditioned female.
Lucky to get this HBF at rest
Lucky to get this HBF at rest
Female HBF brambling
Female HBF brambling
High Brown Fritillary have a great preference for bramble blossom and if their nectaring contently you can often get close enough for good pics and obviously a positive ID :)
High Brown Fritillary nectaring on blackberry flower
High Brown Fritillary nectaring on blackberry flower
Slightly different pose...
Slightly different pose...
Said it would be a short post didn't I...and for now I'm up to date... :roll: :wink:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well High Brown Frits and Large Blues in two consecutive posts, someones just showing off now!!! :P

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

We are clearly on the same wavelength, Bill. I too look for Fritillaries which favour bramble blossom. They are usually High Browns.

Dark Greens prefer the marsh thistles and rarely (at least early in their flight period) descend to imbibe on bramble.

Right now, unless you are lucky with weather conditions (or can locate a female HBF), your chances of getting a close approach with an HBF are minimal.

Give it a week or two though and all that will change.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great reports recently Bill with smashing photos to accompany them :D
Willrow wrote: ...I'm afraid the banks became a bit too crowded for my liking ...
I remember seeing quite a few reports from Daneway Banks last year and thinking then that it was likely to get busier this year.

Cheers,

Neil.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

bugboy wrote:Well High Brown Frits and Large Blues in two consecutive posts, someones just showing off now!!! :P
Your probably right Buggy...good innit' :P :P :lol:
David M wrote:We are clearly on the same wavelength, Bill.
Great butterflyers usually are David... :wink:
Neil Freeman wrote:I remember seeing quite a few reports from Daneway Banks last year and thinking then that it was likely to get busier this year.
Could just be Large Blue fever Neil...but I certainly wouldn't bank on it...okay okay I'll get my coat :lol: :lol:

Thank you fellas,

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great HB's, definitely on my "wish list' for next year :mrgreen: And you've 'caught up' with your reports, what does that mean? :lol: :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Wurzel wrote:And you've 'caught up' with your reports, what does that mean? :lol: :mrgreen:
It means I'm telling porkies Wurz :oops: :lol: :lol:

BW's

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Cors Caron NNR, Tregaron, Powys on Tuesday 23rd June One of the earliest visits I've made to this super site to search for Large Heath at the species most southerly British location.
Welcome to Cors Caron...
Welcome to Cors Caron...
Bog pools at the Cors Caron reserve
Bog pools at the Cors Caron reserve
The butterfly had been reported last week from it's Shropshire strongholds so I knew it was likely to be out here :) my journey was well worth it with at least 14 individuals seen and the plus of a mating pair, these insects were 'in-cop' for 15 minutes which seems rather brief, however I witnessed the engagement and it was instant and detachment was equally quick (little bit like modern human society I suppose folks :roll: :lol: ). This Large Heath race is known as polydama and interestingly the race was once thought to be a distinct species known as Marsh Ringlet. At Cors Caron the species is thinly spread with meta-populations spread over the two distinct raised bogs, one large area of the reserve is frustratingly out of bounds during the butterfly's flight season owing to a cattle grazing regime and I've been unable to check-out the insects current status on this area of extensive bog :(
Nicely posing Large Heath on heather
Nicely posing Large Heath on heather
Paired Large Heath...a brief attachment!
Paired Large Heath...a brief attachment!
The reserve has an incredible 2 miles of board-walk :shock: and it makes visiting a pleasure for the less mobile visitor, especially those in wheelchairs or families with buggy's to push :) the scenery is wonderful, only the raised-bog areas appear rather drab, however, don't be deceived for among the ground flora is a wonder of plants and critters, such as the insect eating Round-leaved Sundew Drosera rotundifolia and the Large Heath's favoured Cross-leaved Heath Erica tetralix. Common Lizard abound as do Adder, the former love to bask on the boardwalks and I'm always aware that their aware of me too :shock: :lol:
Round-leaved Sundew - increasingly rare now.
Round-leaved Sundew - increasingly rare now.
Cross-leaved Heath
Cross-leaved Heath
Here's looking at you kid...
Here's looking at you kid...
During my day long visit I also saw the following:- Large Skipper, Green-veined White, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Dark Green Fritillary, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown & Ringlet.

For those interested Cors Caron NNR has recorded 24 species of dragonfly and this ranks the reserve among the top sites in Wales for those wishing to see these incredible insects all in relative comfort from the boardwalks. Another great day at a really spiffin' nature reserve, I thoroughly recommend a visit to anyone visiting the area :wink:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Large Heaths, another species for mrgreen to appear from my end :mrgreen:.I'm already thinking about planning some longer distance trips next year now!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

That's quite a return of species, Bill. I presume you walked around the drier parts of the site too?

On the bog itself, I usually only see Large Skippers and the occasional White or Vanessid.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Ahh, Cors Tregaron. I used to visit this area in winter to look for buzzards and kites. Know it well. On the bog itself,i saw my first hen harriers,including a male.

Bringing back the memories,Bill! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Large Heath Willrow :D :mrgreen: My Out-laws live up that way but I haven't yet successfully planned a visit at the correct time of year...yet :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Sorry for the belated replies to your comments gents :roll: it's summertime and time is in short supply :)
bugboy wrote:Large Heaths, another species for mrgreen to appear from my end :mrgreen:.I'm already thinking about planning some longer distance trips next year now!
Cors Caron is the most southerly location for Large Heath so it could be just the place to wash that :mrgreen: off Buggy... :lol:
David M wrote: That's quite a return of species, Bill. I presume you walked around the drier parts of the site too?
This species list includes the lane from the main car park David, however, the Green Hairstreak was seen on the raised bog :)
essexbuzzard wrote:Ahh, Cors Tregaron. I used to visit this area in winter to look for buzzards and kites. Know it well. On the bog itself,i saw my first hen harriers,including a male.

Bringing back the memories,Bill! :)
Still a great site for birding Mark, several Hobby hawking insects during my visit :wink:
Wurzel wrote:My Out-laws live up that way but I haven't yet successfully planned a visit at the correct time of year...yet
Come on Wurz, no excuse not to visit this wonderful reserve, take the 'outlaws' with you...I'm sure they'll love it same as they (probably!) love you... :shock: :lol:

Regards,

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your Large Heath photo is what I set out for yesterday, your photos are great Willrow, at least I saw them for the first time as they went whizzing passed Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Twelve days ago I was a bit surprised to visit Danesway Bank, Gloucestershire hoping to spend the day with the recently emerged Large Blue only to find the place alive with lots of other visitors :o so I had to curtail my visit with a promise to return...and that's exactly what I did on Monday :)

Arriving at 9am I devoted an entire day to studying the beautiful butterfly that's Large Blue following the males as they searched the banks for females, watching the mating process (polite is right :oops: ) and also the incredible precision involved with the female in egg-laying. During last years visit (with DavidM) I was surprised to notice females egg-laying on Marjoram because I had not read or heard mention of Marjoram as a food plant, this then begs the question; does the female only egg-lay on Marjoram and the larvae leave the plant for ground and then the association process with Myrmica sabuleti? On closer inspection I did notice ants on the lower plant stem, I'm uncertain of whether or not they were M sabuleti but its got me wondering :?:

Below is a female Large Blue egg-laying on Marjoram which has not yet fully broken bud.
P1200735Large Blue3.jpg
Owing to the heat many of the butterflies stopped to do a bit of sun-bathing 8) the temperature reached 24c and the bank was in need of some refreshing rain, drought is always of great concern on the fast draining friable soils that limestone seems to sit with, under severe drought all three symbiotic friends suffer; butterfly, thyme and ant.
Taking a whiff from all that busy egg-laying!
Taking a whiff from all that busy egg-laying!
Female Large Blue on thyme!
Female Large Blue on thyme!
Fully open-winged pose...just beautiful!
Fully open-winged pose...just beautiful!
Large blue on flowering Marjoram
Large blue on flowering Marjoram
My final tally for a day that lasted until 7pm was approximately 25 (knocking my tally for both visit's up to 35) I stayed until the butterflies were going to roost, I was interested to see their chosen roosting habitat (would it be similar to that on Collard Hill), the Large Blue captured below seemed happy on this seed-head with the backlight outlining both the hair filiments on the seed-head and the wing-fringes of the butterfly, I left it in peace ready for sweet slumber :)
P1200874Large Blue2.jpg
Its always sad to see a beautiful butterfly at the end of it's short life and in the case of the Large Blue I believe the average lifespan is about five and a half days :( The insect below was cursed with mites and was badly tattered yet still got about, I watched it investigating several red clover during the ten minutes or so I observed it, perhaps it wasn't fully aware of it's circumstances :roll:
Battered but not bowed!!!
Battered but not bowed!!!
The banks were awash with both flowers and butterflies on this glorious summer day, the other species seen were as follows:- Large & Small Skipper, Brimstone, Small Blue, Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Ringlet & Small Heath. I include a few images of other species below :) but do take a closer look below at the Oedemera nobilis telling the Marbled White that it's sat on it's toes...you shouldn't do that to nobility :lol: :lol:
Note the small green critter struggling...
Note the small green critter struggling...
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Paired Meadow Brown (female on left).
Paired Meadow Brown (female on left).
My revisit was certainly worth it, I learned a little more about one of our most iconic British butterflies in reasonable peace and quiet :) :wink:

Last edited by Willrow on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Willrow, and that fully opened wing is the Creme de la Creme and worthy of a least two greens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shot of the egg-laying Bill :mrgreen: Did you manage to see the eggs? I love the Meadow Brown shot too - how come I can never get one to look like that :(

Return to “Personal Diaries”