Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Pete and Martin for your advice and guidance. Pete, you would have laughed if you'd seen me today with wood glue and map pins but more of that later. You weren't wrong Martin :wink:

Thank you too Buggy. You help with ID's is just encouraging me, you do know that don't you :D

You and me both Dave - I find the whole process fascinating and different in each case. However, patience is not one of the qualities I am known for as friends would tell you. Having said that I spent 5 hours yesterday and 3 hours today watching that pupa. The last time I did that was years ago when I desperately wanted to see a White Letter Hairstreak. I was told that they could be found at Hollingbury Park so I stood for 5 hours under the trees to the amusement of students and passers by after which time one flew down into the long grass for about 5 seconds and then flew up again. I gave up at that point! Anyway, I hope folk will humour me on this one given the time involved so it will be covered in a few posts.

I tried Pete, I really did, but that pupa did not want to be suspended. When I eventually succeeded in getting it there it continued to spin around and twitch about in a most distressed fashion. I allowed this to continue for about 20 mins but at this time it looked in danger of detaching itself from its leaf and stretching that webbing stuff. I took about 50 photos and they were all like this:
P1520542d.jpg
By chance I did manage to get one better shot:
P1520592ad.jpg
In desperation I decided to revert to yesterday's strategy which was to try to prop up his leaf against a branch and secure it with moss and stones. This seemed to work better and he was much calmer resting against his leaf rather than just being suspended but it did mean that the clearance area for any emergence was a great deal less which was a bit of a worry. I continued to keep him in the shade as advised and continued to take shots at intervals:
P1520616ad.jpg
P1520631ad.jpg
P1520671ad.jpg
P1520675ad.jpg
By now this constant vigil was beginning to become wearing. I had turned down invitations and had been deprived of food and drink :wink: I was clinging to Martin's reassurance that it would emerge today. I decided to pass the time by doing a crossword and just as I picked up the paper a movement caught my eye. When I have seen butterflies emerge in the past it has been quick, but quite delicate for want of a better word. The pupa usually splits and this little creature, looking like a small alien, emerges, fairly quickly but a bit at a time. Not this time! It was like a mini explosion. The pupal case burst (or was kicked) open and this tiny butterfly emerged amidst a lot of chaos. I was captivated. This is the first image. More later:
P1520689ad.jpg
P1520694ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A few more from yesterday:
P1520696ad.jpg
P1520702ad.jpg
P1520705ad.jpg
P1520710ad.jpg
P1520716ad.jpg
P1520733d.jpg
It is astonishing to think that from the point when the butterfly erupted from the pupa to this photo was about 90 seconds!

Other news, the Comma cat which I was enjoying so much now appears to be pupating. Whilst that is good news I really don't feel that I've enjoyed his company for long enough. Wish I'd had him earlier:
P1520636ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I shall not apologise for the number of shots posted, nor their similarity. This was a once in a lifetime event for me and I wanted to make the most of it. As the butterfly's wings became fully pumped up and it gained in strength and confidence it made its way gradually to the top of the twig, stopping now and then to rest. The odd gust of wind at times dislodged it and I held my breath as it hung suspended, before getting its grip once again. Over the next hour, as it recovered from its amazing transformation, I had the opportunity for many photos, gently turning the pot it was in to gain advantage from different backgrounds in the garden, still undecided as to my own preference. However, there are some of these shots that I really like and it is not often I say that about my own photos. I think the reason for that is the subject matter as this was quite possibly the most beautiful butterfly I have ever seen. After about an hour it ejected some bright pink meconium and started to spread its wings, appearing a little restless and impatient. It was at this point that I carefully transferred it to a cage with a nectar source as I feared it might escape in the Liphook area. Although I get SWF in the garden I have never seen a DGF here and it was my intention to return it from whence it came. A few (lot) more shots before the final installment:
P1520710b.jpg
P1520776ad.jpg
P1520809ad.jpg
P1520819ad.jpg
P1520824ad.jpg
P1520829ad.jpg
P1520852ad.jpg
P1520857ad.jpg
P1520861ad.jpg
P1520877ad.jpg
P1520902ad.jpg
P1520928ad.jpg
P1520931ad.jpg
P1520947ad.jpg
Attachments
P1520937ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A lot going on with the immature stages at the moment so I'd better finish this off:
P1520947ad.jpg
P1520969d.jpg
Whilst the butterfly was in the cage I prepared a container in which to transport him to Noar Hill. It was a short Journey - we were there less than 2 hours after he emerged but it was a lovely day and with a not so good forecast for the weekend I wanted to give him the opportunity to make the most of it. I wanted to be able to settle him in :lol: so he could get the lay of the land and find a good spot in the event of bad weather. I decided to release him inside the reserve which was close enough to where I found him. I stayed with him for about an hour, to make sure that he could look after himself :roll: :oops: . His maiden flights (is that a contradiction in terms?) seemed a little weak which was why I was reluctant to leave but it wasn't too long before his flight became stronger and more confident, visibly gaining height and power. When I was unable to approach him to take a photo without him taking off I felt he was ready to make his own way. The rest of the shots I took:
P1520980ad.jpg
P1520981ad.jpg
P1520995ad.jpg
P1530004ad.jpg
P1530009d.jpg
P1530018ad.jpg
P1530020ad.jpg
The last photo before I sadly walked away. He was high up, he was flying well, he looked magnificent :D
P1530042ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Superb sequence, Pauline. I bet you felt almost bereft once you'd left him?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you David. I really enjoyed the experience and seeing it emerge was just amazing and different to the other species I have watched. I was a little sad to see him go but mostly happy and relieved (that I hadn't done something stupid and messed it up). I have released a lot of different wildlife over the years and know that how the actual release is handled is just as important as caring for the creature. My focus has now returned to my other immature stages and I can report that yesterday my Comma cat pupated:
P1530094ad.jpg
P1530105ad.jpg
P1530189ad.jpg
I am rearing 3 Small Tortoiseshell cats and recently the first of them pupated. I was just blown away by the pupa. It looked like it had been modeled out of pure gold. It gleamed in the sunlight. It is gorgeous and my photos just don't do it justice. I have looked on this website and Vince has taken some shots which show its true beauty. This was the best I could do:
P1530144ad.jpg
P1530157ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Pauline, when you've looked after some thing for so long it's hard to see it fly a way I know the feeling, I had some Painted Lady caterpillars once and looked after them until they flew the nest, ( that's what it felt like) :D

I know they say" you never know what your buying" but these were bought for me and I raised 4 of them very successfully so I was very proud of myself :D I let them out when I was at my daughters in Kent, I thought they'd have a better chance of surviving there,
your Dark Green Frit is what I'm hoping to see at Gait Barrow, lucky you to have raised it and well done.Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Its rare for me to be lost for words Pauline, so let me just add...simply wonderful :)

Kind Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

You have really excelled yourself with those wonderful images of the Dark Green Fritillary Pauline, both beautiful and interesting to follow the sequence :D

All the best,

Neil.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Pauline wrote:A few more from yesterday:
You can see the tongue is still in two parts in the first picture, and he is joining it together in the second picture, this is the most important stage of its development, if one of the tongues gets caught around a leg, it cannot join it and cant feed. A Purple Emperor found dead at Juniper Hall a few years ago was perfect apart from a forked tongue.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie for your comments on my photos but more importantly on a successful outcome. It's good to have a bit of empathy :D . Well done to you too re the Painted Ladies.

I appreciate your kind words Bill.

I, too, Neil, found it interesting and beautiful. I think I might have been inspired by the subject matter :D . Something I'll never forget. Thank you so much for your kind comment.

Gosh Martin, that's really interesting. I had no idea :shock: I could see it was in 2 parts but didn't realise that it later fused. Still so much to learn. Thank you.

I seem to be getting a bit behind with my posts (spending too much time watching pupa I expect :roll: – I can see how easily it happens now Wurzel :lol: ). As a result, just a brief report on my recent visit to Noar Hill which was a little disappointing. There was no trace of the remaining 2 Brimstone cats :( and I could not find the Brown Hairstreak cat either :( . I am not too concerned about the latter as it looked big enough for it to be thinking about pupating (tho’ I guess it is still a tad too early), and the Blackthorn is quite dense and impenetrable so it is quite feasible that I could have missed it. On the other hand the Brimstones looked like they still had some growing to do. The plant they were on was not big and a bit isolated so quite easy to search. There was still plenty of food available so I cannot imagine they have wandered away. I am beginning to suspect foul play :evil: !

On this visit I saw 3, possibly 5 Duke cats, all in locations I have previously checked and seen cats. There were even 2 cats on the same plant – a first. All the cats I am seeing are small, well tiny really, and they seem content to continue to carry on munching as I carefully turn over the leaf and take a few shots. However, in 2 of the locations, as I turned over the leaf, something dropped off quite quickly and fell to the base of the plant. It was too fast for a definite ID but the impression I was left with was that it was a Duke cat but quite a bit bigger. (There was also significant feeding damage to these leaves which I doubt was made by one of the tiny cats) Of course, once it had dropped down into the moss and roots there was no way of finding it. This has left me wondering whether this is a defence/survival mechanism that the Duke cats employ once they become older and wiser, in the same way that some other species do. I guess I am going to have to take a trip to Noar Hill in the dark to see what is munching on the UPPERSIDE of the leaves to satisfy my curiosity. A few shots of the little’uns below. The first image is uncropped to give some context and an idea of the size given that this is a medium sized leaf:
P1530243ad.jpg
P1530248ad.jpg
P1530255ad.jpg
P1530257ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic images Pauline :D That definitely seems to be the way to get such great closed wing shots of a DGF, much less hassle than waiting for tehm to sto tearing around a field :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:The last photo before I sadly walked away. He was high up, he was flying well, he looked magnificent :D
I'd be ecstatic, not sad, Pauline! Returning a "rescue job" from whence it came is surely something to be proud of; at least, that's how I normally feel when releasing critters back where they belong.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

That 'gold-leaf' Tortoiseshell pupa looks like something Fabergé might well have created.

Truly beautiful.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Wurzel. I couldn't agree more :lol: Seriously, if you ever get the opportunity, go for it, as it's an experience you won't forget!

Thank you Pete for the comment, and the help and advice. As I mentioned earlier I was happy at the successful conclusion but knowing all the perils that lie ahead of him (birds, spiders, etc) I feared for his survival. I also felt privileged to have played a little part in the process which I have found incredibly informative and interesting. Witnessing that moment of transformation is not something I'm going to forget :D

Well David, I certainly wouldn't mind wearing that round my neck on a gold chain :lol: - not the real thing obviously, but perhaps there's a gap in the market here for an enterprising jeweler to design a range based on this theme :D .

On Friday I was informed that there had been something of a mass emergence of female SSB at Bramshott and many fresh females as well as mating pairs had been seen. One of these females included a specimen which had a row of blue studs along the hind wings on the upperside, and having seen the photo, I thought that it was quite unusual. However, it was not until yesterday that I got the chance to pay a visit. As I walked onto the site I almost stood on my first mating pair which flew up and landed on a bit of grass which was clearly not able to take their combined weight in the very strong wind. As a result they landed on several other plants and then decided to settle themselves on my tripod!! As I took a few shots the battery in my camera suddenly failed (again!! :roll: ) without warning which was a bit frustrating as I looked up and saw a fresh DGF nectaring on red clover quite close to me. He didn't stay long so it is debatable whether I would have got a decent shot. I did not want to disturb the mating pair so I decided to just wander around looking at the female SSB. I had noticed previously, and today, how small some of the females were and had tried to get a shot of one of them with a 'normal' sized butterfly to demonstrate the size difference. It was therefore irritating to find a second mating pair where the female was tiny and the male quite possibly a little larger than normal. Would have made a good photo!! I went on to find a further 3 mating pairs and a mating pair of Meadow Brown. I watched a couple of mating pairs as they split up and went their separate ways but still the pair remained on my tripod. They were there for 2 hours 15 mins before I could retrieve my tripod!!! I never did find the blue studded female but with no camera battery I was strangely pleased about that. A few photos from Bramshott:
P1530325ad.jpg
P1530333ad.jpg
P1530337ad.jpg
P1530352ad.jpg
P1530365ad.jpg
P1530372ad.jpg
P1530379ad.jpg
P1530382d.jpg
PS. I now have 2 brand new camera batteries :D :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wonderful photos, Pauline, that reflect your love of the creatures you see :)

I can understand your feelings for the future of 'your' DGF but isn't it strange to think that he has to rely entirely on instinct - no childhood and no lessons from Mum. Actually, I think I read somewhere that experiments have shown that some experiences can be 'remembered' from the caterpillar stage so, perhaps, he can take advantage of the care you lavished on him.

I too was enjoying SSBlues, yesterday, but didn't manage to capture any views as good as yours. I've never noticed before how brightly the silver studs can shine in the sun.

Mike

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

MikeOxon wrote:Wonderful photos, Pauline, that reflect your love of the creatures you see :)

I can understand your feelings for the future of 'your' DGF but isn't it strange to think that he has to rely entirely on instinct - no childhood and no lessons from Mum. Actually, I think I read somewhere that experiments have shown that some experiences can be 'remembered' from the caterpillar stage so, perhaps, he can take advantage of the care you lavished on him.

Mike
Now that the big fritillaries have been moved into Heliconiinae, their close cousins the Heliconid adult butterflies have been shown to copy each other, and learn from other butterflies, i have seen non pollen feeding heliconids [ P. dido and D. phaetusa] copy from H. melpomene [Postman] and start to coil and uncoil their tongue, with pollen and nectar and drink the result, they are not reported to do this in the wild, unless they do this high up in the canopy and it has not been seen.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
I was wondering if you could do me a huge favour :D . As you live fairly close to Botany Bay, you may
be popping over there in the next few days to see if His Majesty is ready for an audience yet.
If you see or hear of any PEs there could you PM me, and let me know. BB is over a 100 mile
round trip for me , so you could save me precious time/petrol.
Last year, the first one's were seen about now, but i have heard that they might be later this year.

Many thanks and best wishes,
TREVOR.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Trevor - I have replied by PM as requested :D

Thank you Mike, it is astute of you to recognise that. I have read something somewhere about that. I am pleased you liked my SSB's but I think your action shots are great :mrgreen:

Hi Martin, I must confess that I only understand some of that, but I get the gist. It does not surprise me tho' as many wildlife rescue centres work on the basis of 'monkey see, monkey do' to encourage sick/orphaned creatures to eat and behave appropriately. Likewise, when I kept horses they would copy behaviour from their stable mates whether good or bad, eg crib-biting. I can see no reason why butterflies etc should be any different. Thank you for your interesting and thought-provoking input.

It is late for me to be here (waiting for the foxes to wake up and get their supper) having been up at 4.15am this morning but just wanted to record a brief trip to Noar Hill today. For the first time I felt I was suffering from the 'June gap' and scratching around to find things. I found another Brimstone cat on a different plant, quite a lot smaller than those which disappeared:
P1530658ad.jpg
It was a hot and sunny afternoon but I still recorded 2 small DoB larva:
P1530673ad.jpg
P1530674ad.jpg
P1530681ad.jpg
Noar Hill is looking fantastic and I only wish I knew how to compose landscape shots to do it justice:
P1530738ad.jpg
A couple of orchids, the first I was told was a musk orchid, not sure about the other:
P1530027d.jpg
P1530728ad.jpg
I saw my first female Large Skipper of the season and a dozen or so Marbled White were scattered about:
P1530748ad.jpg
P1530704ad.jpg
Unusually for me, I took a shot at one of the Small Heath which seemed to be showing off a little. This is not one of my favourite butterflies as their usual pose in this area is to appear half dead, lying on their side, with wings tucked in :lol: :roll:
P1530693ad.jpg
The only other butterflies I saw were Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell and Meadow Brown including this poor, crippled specimen who was fluttering around pitifully in the middle of the track. I tried to transfer him carefully to some brabmle blossom which he seemed to relish, but just as quickly fell off again:
P1530714ad.jpg
Nor did I see any sign of 'my' DGF :(

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Pauline wrote:
A couple of orchids, the first I was told was a musk orchid, not sure about the other:
The first orchid is a Musk Orchid, which is very small.

The second orchid looks like the white form of the Fragrant Orchid.

I have many years experience with British and Tropical Butterflies, so have picked up many tips and observations over the last 50 years or so.

I use wood glue to for hanging pupae, the trick is to lay the stick flat on cardboard, and glue the pupa by dipping the tip in the glue and place it on the stick, while its on the cardboard. When the glue is dry, then hang or peg the stick up and let the pupa hang. They often wriggle a lot when the are placed on the stick, but settle after a while, its better done when they are not due to hatch. Some times we have had them crawl out, just after we have glued the pupa up!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”