Marbled White

Post by Brianch »

Making more marbled white's at Wingate Quarry, Co.Durham
Attachments
IMG_6086.JPG
David M

Re: Marbled White

Post by David M »

My, this species sure is extending its range. Have we had any Scottish records yet, I wonder?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

There was a release of Marbled Whites carried out in this area about 15-20 years ago as part of a research project by one of the northern universities into the effects of climate change. I'm not sure if these butterflies are the result of that release, or if the species has spread from further south.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:There was a release of Marbled Whites carried out in this area about 15-20 years ago as part of a research project by one of the northern universities into the effects of climate change. I'm not sure if these butterflies are the result of that release, or if the species has spread from further south.
Thanks for that, Matsukaze. I wasn't aware of this release but I suppose it makes sense given the distance between this location and its established sites.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

This was the study (Open Access so you should all be able to read the full thing). My current bosses in York were heavily involved in the project. They also gave Small Skipper a helping hand into Northumberland. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... 08.00043.x
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that link, Callum. You learn something new and interesting every day!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Encouraging to see the population is still surviving at the site after all this time. I wonder how much further north the species could now survive if it had the opportunity to do so?

Return to “Sightings”