Why did the Pigeon cross the road?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Hoggers

Why did the Pigeon cross the road?

Post by Hoggers »

Has anyone else noticed how pigeons and doves seem to have a fascination with walking about in the road? Particularly just after sunrise and just before sunset? I suppose the roads are too busy at any other time but for years now I've noticed them, wood pigeons, collard doves, feral pigeons, all seemingly devoted to parading around in the road, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and also whether anyone knows why they do it? What's the fascination? I've seen some pecking the tarmac but surely they're not finding seeds to eat?

Hoggers
Allan.W.

Re: Why did the Pigeon cross the road?

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers ,
they,re probably collecting grit from the roads to break down the food in the gizzard ,hence why we give budgies (and other cage birds ) grit or cuttlebone ,but some of the little B+++++S arne,t quick enough and end up as crows food who then proceed to do the same as the pigeons !
Regards Allan.W.
Hoggers

Re: Why did the Pigeon cross the road?

Post by Hoggers »

Another mystery solved!

Cheers Allan - I wondered why I'd never seen Blackbirds, Wrens , Robins and the like act that way - I guess they don't eat seed so have no need of grit in the gizzard!

And you're also right about pigeons lack of road sense!

But I've noticed Magpies living on road kill do keep a wary eye open for oncoming traffic - something they've had to learn! They've adapted to modern life: reminds me of the days long ago when milk was delivered to the doorstep and Blue Tits would peck through the foil bottle tops to get the cream..Showing my age now!

Hoggers

Return to “General”