Emails from Rachel Lee, anyone else getting them?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Testudo Man

Emails from Rachel Lee, anyone else getting them?

Post by Testudo Man »

Ive recently received some emails from a Rachel Lee(through this forum) in connection with her requesting some of my high resolution butterfly images. She represents the Woodland Trust, Lincolnshire. Rachel is the - Media Library Manager.
She is asking me to donate my images. They are a non profit making company, yet it appears they will be selling these "Swatch Butterfly images".

I have yet to respond to Rachel...I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum, has received similar emails from Rachel, requesting that you donate your Butterfly images to their charity???
Since a good number of forum members on here, have posted/uploaded some fantastic quality butterfly photos/images, then their must be more members who have received these types of emails from Rachel.

Look forward to your replies, cheers Paul.
David M

Re: Emails from Rachel Lee, anyone else getting them?

Post by David M »

Paul, since autumn 2015 I have been the prime contact for this site regarding identification issues. I get lots of queries, and increasingly they seem to be attempts to sell services such as web design or to improve search engine listings.

I can confirm that I don't recall ever being contacted by the individual you have named, even though I have fielded dozens of enquiries relating to using images from this site (mainly for non-profit reasons).

I hope Pete Eeles drops in on this thread because he would rightfully be the individual for outsiders to contact regarding the use of images posted on this forum.

Hope that helps.
David M

Post by David M »

....ps: I have just noticed on the index page that the newest member to join UKB is Rachel Lee, on 21st March:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16534
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Testudo Man wrote:Ive recently received some emails from a Rachel Lee(through this forum) in connection with her requesting some of my high resolution butterfly images. She represents the Woodland Trust, Lincolnshire. Rachel is the - Media Library Manager.
She is asking me to donate my images. They are a non profit making company, yet it appears they will be selling these "Swatch Butterfly images".

I have yet to respond to Rachel...I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum, has received similar emails from Rachel, requesting that you donate your Butterfly images to their charity???
Since a good number of forum members on here, have posted/uploaded some fantastic quality butterfly photos/images, then their must be more members who have received these types of emails from Rachel.

Hi Paul - this is my doing! Rachel contacted me to request images for their butterfly swatch book and I let her know that I can only distribute those in the stock library (since these are the only images I have permission to distribute). However, she also requested several other images which is why you (and a few others) received the request.

Our policy is to provide images free of charge for charities and academia (even if the images are used to generate revenue) but, again, this only applies to the stock library images. It is entirely up to you if you want to make yours freely available or not.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks Pete, I was waiting for you to clarify things before responding.

I was requested to provide some of my stock images to Rachel in connection with the latest Woodland Trust Butterfly swatch book that she is compiling. I do not charge for such images but in this case have requested a complementary copy of the final product, (when it is produced) which Rachel is happy to provide.

I contributed to the original swatch book and was very happy with the product, particularly as my Orange-tip is on the cover. http://www.woodlandtrustshop.com/produc ... -book.aspx
The name of each contributor is displayed on the margin of each image.

Vince

Edit: 25th May 2018
The link now connects with the new swatch book, so my Orange-tip is history.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all

I too was asked to contribute an image (Brown Hairstreak), which is not in the UKB stock library, and was happy to do so FOC. As Pete points out, the decision obviously rests with the photographer, but a couple of points are worthy of consideration.

At first sight, it may seem slightly off-putting to some that the images will be generating revenue, in the same way that BC sells a variety of products to help fund its work. However, Woodland Trust is a non-profit-making charity, so the revenue generated would go towards the support of its own work in promoting healthy woodlands ... which help support healthy butterfly populations. They're 'good guys', on the same side as us. I work closely with one of their officers in Sussex; we're singing from the same song sheet.

BWs, Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Funnily enough I have just a few minutes ago sent Rachel some photos that she requested from me and then come on here and spotted this thread...spooky!

For my part I was happy to contribute a few photos -
1. Because although I take photos of butterflies primarily for my own enjoyment, I also take great pleasure from the fact that others may enjoy them as well.
2. I was aware that the Woodland Trust is a registered Charity.

Rachel also offered me a complimentary copy of the final swatch book when it is completed.

Cheers,

Neil.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:Paul, since autumn 2015 I have been the prime contact for this site regarding identification issues. I get lots of queries, and increasingly they seem to be attempts to sell services such as web design or to improve search engine listings.

I can confirm that I don't recall ever being contacted by the individual you have named, even though I have fielded dozens of enquiries relating to using images from this site (mainly for non-profit reasons).

I hope Pete Eeles drops in on this thread because he would rightfully be the individual for outsiders to contact regarding the use of images posted on this forum.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that David.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Testudo Man wrote:Ive recently received some emails from a Rachel Lee(through this forum) in connection with her requesting some of my high resolution butterfly images. She represents the Woodland Trust, Lincolnshire. Rachel is the - Media Library Manager.

Hi Paul - this is my doing! Rachel contacted me to request images for their butterfly swatch book and I let her know that I can only distribute those in the stock library (since these are the only images I have permission to distribute). However, she also requested several other images which is why you (and a few others) received the request.

Our policy is to provide images free of charge for charities and academia (even if the images are used to generate revenue) but, again, this only applies to the stock library images. It is entirely up to you if you want to make yours freely available or not.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

- Pete
Hi Pete, not a problem at all. Rachel did mention your name in her emails.
Rachel was totally up front about all of this, so there is nothing at all to worry about mate.

As ever, the internet can be a strange place at times :roll: ......I have had people in the past(whom i dont know at all, and have never had any dealings with) "Rip" (use one of my images) without my permission/or consent. Not a Butterfly image, but a couple of my Adder(Vipera berus) photos. Its one of the reasons why i only ever upload low res/small file size images. So if people want to use/take any of my images (without my consent) they will not get much out of a low res/small file size!

But this situation with Rachel is not like that above ^^^^^^^^, she has done everything the right way, so once again, its not a problem.

I guess i just wanted to see, if anyone else had been contacted through this same source.

Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Vince Massimo wrote:Thanks Pete, I was waiting for you to clarify things before responding.

I was requested to provide some of my stock images to Rachel in connection with the latest Woodland Trust Butterfly swatch book that she is compiling. I don not charge for such images but in this case have requested a complementary copy of the final product, (when it is produced) which Rachel is happy to provide.

I contributed to the original swatch book and was very happy with the product, particularly as my Orange-tip is on the cover. http://www.woodlandtrustshop.com/produc ... -book.aspx
The name of each contributor is displayed on the margin of each image.

Vince
Hi Vince, as i have just said to Pete, its not a problem at all.
Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi all

I too was asked to contribute an image (Brown Hairstreak), which is not in the UKB stock library, and was happy to do so FOC. As Pete points out, the decision obviously rests with the photographer, but a couple of points are worthy of consideration.

At first sight, it may seem slightly off-putting to some that the images will be generating revenue, in the same way that BC sells a variety of products to help fund its work. However, Woodland Trust is a non-profit-making charity, so the revenue generated would go towards the support of its own work in promoting healthy woodlands ... which help support healthy butterfly populations. They're 'good guys', on the same side as us. I work closely with one of their officers in Sussex; we're singing from the same song sheet.

BWs, Neil
Many thanks for your insight Neil, its appreciated.

Cheers Paul.

P.S. I had a feeling you would have been contacted, in regards to the quality of your Butterfly images. :wink:
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Neil Freeman wrote:Funnily enough I have just a few minutes ago sent Rachel some photos that she requested from me and then come on here and spotted this thread...spooky!

For my part I was happy to contribute a few photos -
1. Because although I take photos of butterflies primarily for my own enjoyment, I also take great pleasure from the fact that others may enjoy them as well.
2. I was aware that the Woodland Trust is a registered Charity.

Rachel also offered me a complimentary copy of the final swatch book when it is completed.

Cheers,

Neil.
Hi Neil, many thanks for your input/thoughts here.

I have in the past, been contacted(via the internet) to use some of my images(for educational purposes) by a small charity organisation. There was to be no monies involved in the use of my images, so i was happy to proceed. Young people were going to benefit from viewing my images, therefore it "sat well" with me.

Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

No worries, Paul. Glad it all appears to be 'kosher'.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

It looks like the new swatch book will be available from early June.
http://www.woodlandtrustshop.com/produc ... -book.aspx
I recognise the image on the front cover as being one from Butterflysaurus Rex. Congratulations, James :D

Vince

Return to “General”