Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7 - Over a tenth of the way through; everyone has started talking about Christmas so it'll soon be Spring :wink: :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
IanGD

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by IanGD »

A short expedition to south Essex on a hot and sunny day in mid June provided my first ever views of Heath Fritillaries. I was very pleased to get a few photos and I particularly like this one.

IMGB2609_edited-8.jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Well done for breaking your duck, Ian.

My Heath Fritillary is from the South of France on June 5th. It could arguably be a Melitaea helvetica (Southern Heath Fritillary), but can anyone tell the difference?
Uppers and unders of the same insect.
helvetica21_83 Hostellerie St Baume 05Jun17 (2).JPG
helvetica21_83 Hostellerie St Baume 05Jun17 (1).JPG
Chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hockley Wood provided by Heath Frit fix this year and I must say, they seem to be doing rather well there at the moment, I just hope the habitat management continues.
I find the constant 'sexual harassment' amusing with this species. The males just don't seem to get the message and the females just carry on nonchalantly as best they can
Heath Fritillary courting, Hockley Wood.JPG
and no encounter is complete without a nice underside shot :)
Heath Fritillary female, Hockley Wood.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Lots of these seen in France in 2017, to the point where I scarcely pay them any attention.

This specimen in the Pyrenees was an aberrant though, although it may just have easily been a Meadow Fritillary, with which Heaths fly in this region at the back end of May:
14Meadowab.(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A short stop off at Haddon Hill during our drive down to the Heddon Valley in later June produced a few Heath Fritillaries in what were decidedly borderline conditions. I spent just under an hour here and under a dull overcast and temperature of no more than 16 degrees found maybe half a dozen different individuals in varying condition from quite good to well worn and faded.
Heath Fritillary - Haddon Hill 26.06.2017
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Heath Fritillary

Hurrah I am again able to post “my Favourite Heath Fritillary”. This was taken at East Blean on a cracking day out with Philzoid. It’s my favourite just because of the many that we saw that day and there were many, it stands out as the best as it was so fresh and clean. It was also the most obliging butterfly of the day remaining in the same place long after both Philzoid and I had photographed it. If only other species were that happy to sit and pose…
DSC_7767 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Return to “Heath Fritillary”