Large Blue still around early July?

John W

Large Blue still around early July?

Post by John W »

Hi all,

Is it likely that the Large Blue will still be flying at Collard Hill or Daneway Banks early next week (i.e. around July 3rd/4th) ?

Thanks for any replies
John W
bugboy

Re: Large Blue still around early July?

Post by bugboy »

Your best bet would be Daneway which is the later of the two sites but I would wait for someone more experienced and who has visited there this year before making any plans.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi John,

Collard Hill is wardened and there is a blog updated daily. If you search for "Large Blue Blog" you`ll be able to read if they are still flying. They were on Monday, 26th, I was there and saw 4 in overcast conditions.

Good luck !

Jenks.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

So completely ignoring my own advice I visited Daneway today. Still freshly emerged Blues around, mostly egg laying females, so I would guess any time this coming week in good weather will give you results :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
John W

Post by John W »

Thanks Bugboy and Jenks for the replies.

The Large Blue blog for Collard Hill reported only 4 faded Large Blues today, so I've booked myself in for a couple of nights at a hotel near Daneway Banks.

I've not been to Daneway before, so any tips on where to park, how to find the site etc would be very welcome!

Cheers
John W
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi John
There is a lovely pub opposite the entrance to the site called the Daneway Inn http://www.thedaneway.pub/index- I think you are allowed to park in the car park its at SO938034. Even does a pint of Large Blue bitter!
The entrance is just over the road just walk up the hill and sit on the newly installed large blue bench and drink in the atmosphere - It's quite a large site but a fantastic location - good luck.
Kind Regards
Mark
Large blue bench at Daneway
Large blue bench at Daneway
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Mark Tutton wrote:...There is a lovely pub opposite the entrance to the site called the Daneway Inn http://www.thedaneway.pub/index
Thanks for this link, I've just seen they have a campsite, so that's a date for my intinerary next year sorted, with cheap accommodation :D

Return to “Large Blue”