2016 butterfly winners and losers

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
NickMorgan

2016 butterfly winners and losers

Post by NickMorgan »

I haven't noticed a 2016 winners and losers topic, but apologies if it has already been done.
Winners:
Painted Ladies - a great year for them;
Red Admirals, which appear to have survived the last few winters here;
Large Whites, which are never numerous, but have had their best year in ages.

My losers in East Lothian were the mostly in the second half of the season.
Small Tortoiseshells, the late summer generation was very poor.
Commas, very few later in the year.
Peacocks, lower numbers in the second half of the year.
Small and Green-veined Whites has a poor second generation.

I think the cool summer had quite an impact on butterfly numbers, although a few species seemed to buck the trend.
David M

Re: 2016 butterfly winners and losers

Post by David M »

I have posted such a topic for at least the last three years, Nick, but to be honest 2016 was SO bad that I couldn't really think of any 'winners'.

Yes, Red Admirals boomed in late summer and Painted Ladies and Large Whites had a decent innings towards the back end of the season, but there were so many losers that I risked depressing myself if I had posted such a commentary.

For what it's worth, even previously common species near where I live struggled badly - Small Heath, Common Blue, Small Copper, Comma, Green Veined White, Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell.....the list is endless.

However, I am hopeful that this year may be rather better. The winter here has been largely dry with far more regular frosts than has been the case since 2010.

I would happily pay £500 to guarantee a warm, dry April. Butterflies are resilient creatures and an April fitting the aforementioned description would do a great deal to turn things around.

Here's hoping!

Return to “General”