Starting out advice

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
ingleslenobel

Starting out advice

Post by ingleslenobel »

Hello,

I'm a bit of a photography hobbyist and whilst I'm ok with general macro photography, I've set myself a mission to get 20 ok photos of butterflies in 2016 (butterflies are almost completely new for me). Ok as in open aperture, perpendicular pose, interesting species etc. I think I've got enough equipment, and I have a willingness to read, learn and go looking. I'm hoping to go on some BC walks (are they good for photography?), and I'm trying to learn about foodstuffs etc. I'm also reading what I can get my hands on (currently Butterfly Isles) to get some more tips to find butterflies.

But, my question is this - I live 15 mins away from Box Hill and Denbies in Surrey. Am I better off just visiting those two sites the whole summer, and get to know those reasonably well, or should I go visit lots of sites. Truth is my time is perhaps a little more limited than many because of acting as a taxi for children, and unfortunately the dayjob is pretty sedentary and I don't get out and about much other than weekends. My reading of Box Hill and Denbies is that they're good for Spring and early Summer but maybe I need to go further afield in late summer. Insights appreciated - I live just east of Guildford.

Any tips on maximising my success at some respectable images would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

-Johan
Mark Tutton

Re: Starting out advice

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Johan
Personally I like to visit my local sites frequently to get a good understanding of the species and their habits but it is also nice to visit different sites with different habitats and other species. I have not visited the two sites you mention, but I know other UKB'ers who are regulars and they are good downland sites - but also you have some good woodland habitats like Bookham Common and Alice Holt forest not too far away either. There are also some good sites for some of the rarer species like Brown Hairstreak and Duke of Burgundy at Noar hill that are not too far away
I have been on a number of BC organised trips especially Hants BC - and always found them informative and sympathetic to those who want to take photographs.
I am sure you will get some good informative advice from other members of this site.
Good luck in your quest and I look forward to seeing your results.
Kind Regards
Mark :)
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Have to say, having those sites as local patches you will have no trouble at all seeing 20 species and as Mark says, Bookham is excellant for woodland species. Last year I stuck to the south east and managed to see 45 species with only the Purple Emperor avoided my camera!

Good knowledge of general fieldcraft goes a long way to getting the pictures, watch your foot fall, keep an eye on your shadow and be patient but most of all just enjoy it. You can learn a lot from books but nothing beats watching the real thing and learning their behaviour first hand, you'll soon learn which ones need to be persued and which ones sit and wait for you to come and find them.

You'll almost certainly bump into some of us lot at your local sites if you visit frequently over the summer and we're mostly a friendly bunch, I'm sure no one will mind you picking our brains out in the field as long as you don't come running over just as we're about to get THE shot we've been trying to get all day :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

As Buggy says, Box Hill and Denbies could see you well past your target on their own. In the summer it is perfectly possible to start the day in the woods at Chiddingfold, visit Box Hill and Denbies, and finish up at Dawney's Hill near Woking. You might have seen well over 20 species in the day, including some of the less common ones. However, a more leisurely approach is preferable!

Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I gathered from some of your other posts that you are a photo hobbyist. From a similar standpoint, I find that butterflies offer some of the most satisfying photographic subjects, both because of their intrinsic beauty and because their successful 'capture' requires development of a good range of field skills.

Do beware of the trap that photo enthusiasts can fall into - forgetting what you may be trampling underfoot, while seeking the 'perfect' photo.

Do not get disheartened, if you find the subjects difficult in the Spring - they will be at their most flighty and need very careful approach and fast working, to catch a good pose. Later in the year, things get easier and, by the Autumn, several species become quite torpid :)

You have an excellent 'local patch', so hone your skills there, to start with, and then plan some special trips to find other species that you find particularly appealing. Get a good field guide, to learn what flies where and when.

Good luck,

Mike
ingleslenobel

Post by ingleslenobel »

Thank y'all very much - these are tremendously encouraging responses and I'm starting to think that I might have a chance at my little mission! I would love to stumble into some people here - seems like a font of knowledge and the photography standard is extremely high; there's a lot of inspiration here. I did a bit of a search for my 2 sites and clearly many people visit these already - but the secret is obviously being there are the right time and in the right place... lots to learn!

-Johan

Return to “Photography”