February 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickMorgan

February 2016

Post by NickMorgan »

I had a report from one of our Countryside Rangers of a Red Admiral flying near Dunbar today. This is a very exciting record for us, as presumably this butterfly has managed to over-winter here. We did think that, with so many Red Admirals around in October last year, maybe some of them would try to over-winter. I hope it has managed to find something to feed on!
David M

Re: February 2016

Post by David M »

Given the abnormally mild winter thus far, Nick, I'm not surprised that a Red Admiral has been sighted in SE Scotland. I daresay you haven't had many frosty nights, and those you HAVE had probably have only dipped slightly below freezing.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:Given the abnormally mild winter thus far, Nick, I'm not surprised that a Red Admiral has been sighted in SE Scotland. I daresay you haven't had many frosty nights, and those you HAVE had probably have only dipped slightly below freezing.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It has been a very mild and wet winter so far. The Geraniums in our window boxes look like surviving their third winter in a row!
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

What next Geranium Bronze supporting the long tailed blues :lol:

Andy
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

andy brown wrote:What next Geranium Bronze supporting the long tailed blues :lol:

Andy
It won't be long, I'll bet...

Tony M.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

My wife saw a Painted Lady in the garden here in north Somerset today, flying strongly. Hopefully it will have the sense to head south.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

SMALL TORTOISESHELL yesterday afternoon (11/02) in Penzance Town Centre during a brief warm sunny spell.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

RED ADMIRAL in my garden today (15th Feb), Gwinear, nr Hayle, Cornwall.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

Two butterfly sightings in the last few days in Cornwall takes me to four species this year, on 23rd February a single Comma at Upton Towans, and 24th February single Peacock at Carminowe Creek, Loe Pool near Helston.
David M

Post by David M »

Painted Lady seen at Limeslade Bay, Gower, Swansea, just after 11am on 28 February. The butterfly was busy nectaring on bergenia and remained in view for approximately 10 minutes prior to being disturbed by a dog.
1PL(1).jpg
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Peacock butterfly seen this morning in Holmsley Inclosure (New Forest) - 11:10 am. temp. 7°C , little wind and pleasantly sunny.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Peacock butterfly, seen today (29/2/16) just after 12.00pm lunchtime.
I was at work, sun was shining quite nicely. The Peacock flew up onto some roof tiles, where it basked briefly, then it flew out of sight.

Location - Kent.

Cheers Paul.

Return to “Sightings”