4 DAY-FLYING MOTHS FOR ID.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
LancsRover

4 DAY-FLYING MOTHS FOR ID.

Post by LancsRover »

Hi all, I have 4 day-flying moths for ID please, they are all from northern Spain and southern France fromm my last trip in Sept.& Oct. this year.
Many thanks in anticipation,
Russ
Attachments
No. 1.
No. 1.
No. 2.
No. 2.
No. 3
No. 3
No. 4
No. 4
Chris Jackson

Re: 4 DAY-FLYING MOTHS FOR ID.

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ,
You ID request has given me the chance to try out my new "Papillons de France" guide, by Tristan Lafranchis, which also contains some day-flying moths and Zygaena.
The result is not brilliant, but that is probably down to me:
Photo 1 : I don't know
No. 2 : Diacrisia sanno (the female is orange)
No. 3 : I don't know
No. 4 : Lythria purpuraria : I'm convinced

Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Fairly sure (3) is the pyralid Pyrausta despicata, which flies with the Large Blue at Collard Hill.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

maybe something like scarce bordered straw for 1?
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Chris,

You are spot on with No. 2 Diacrisia Sannio(Clouded Buff) and it is a male, well done. It's in my book The Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Martin Townsend and Paul Waring which is illustrated by the brilliant Richard Lewington but they are a little small for my old eyes :lol:

Your also right with No. 4 Lythria Purpuraria(Purple-Barred Yellow) too, not seen in Britain since the 1800's, I found both of these butterflies in the Dordogne(29.8.15.) on the way down to Spain. I think your book is better than mine Chris, I might have to drop a few hints to Santa later this month :lol:

Cheers Russ.

Hi Matsukaze, No. 3 does look like Pyrausta Despicata, I have seen a photo on the internet of it on Collard Hill taken by Steve Blanford, so you are correct about that too.
I should have stated on the first report that it was very small(i.e. micro) moth and they are not in my book, Santa where are you?

Cheers Russ.

Hi Chris C, I think you are also correct with Scare Bordered Straw for No. 1, I had a look at Eastern Bordered Straw but it is more like SBS as you suggested.

Cheers Russ.

Thanks again to all 3 of you for your help and interest.
Russ.

Return to “Identification”