Scent Marking By Butterflies

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Hoggers

Scent Marking By Butterflies

Post by Hoggers »

Hello All, this is probably a very silly question but does anyone know whether any butterflies are known to scent mark their territories?

And also, do any butterflies have scent sensors ( chemical sensors I suppose they'd be called ) on their feet?

Thanks in advance

Hoggers
millerd

Re: Scent Marking By Butterflies

Post by millerd »

Hoggers,

I'm sure I've read that female butterflies test foodplant suitability with their feet. I assume this is scent rather than touch.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Aren't the 'brush footed' butterflies front legs modified for exactly this reason, to 'taste' the foodplant before they lay?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hoggers wrote:Hello All, this is probably a very silly question
No such thing on this forum, unlike some others I could mention, but let's not go there :)
Hoggers wrote:... but does anyone know whether any butterflies are known to scent mark their territories?
Not that I'm aware of; it would seem a dreadful waste of limited resources if they then had to move on, since (I think) the emission of pheromones (chemical signals) requires some physical change in the androconial (scent) scales. But I must admit that I've not looked into this in any detail, and am willing to be corrected by someone in the know :)
Hoggers wrote:And also, do any butterflies have scent sensors ( chemical sensors I suppose they'd be called ) on their feet?
I think most of them do. Again, I'm here to learn too :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

From what I've read, female butterflies in particular have the sensory capacity to detect 'smells' via their feet.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thank you to all who took the time to help me with my questions.

Some will have guessed that my interest in this matter comes from watching male Small Coppers - as part of their daily routine they will fly from plant to plant within their territories walking down the stems or across the leaves whilst quickly tapping their feet and I've been wondering why they do this.

Perhaps tapping disturbs residual chemical deposits on the plant surfaces which can then be detected by "scent" receptors on the feet?

It's purposeful behaviour, apparently "hard wired" into the Small Copper"s daily routine. They certainly seem to be investigating something. And as I've seen only males do it I wonder if it's sexual behaviour, ie, (just a guess ) "scenting" the presence of females that may have been in the area?

I'm not a scientist and haven't a clue about such things - I'm just trying to understand something I've seen Small Coppers do
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Perhaps it's some way of attracting females? The coppers version of a display flight? Since butterflies see more colours than we do perhaps the angle of the wings makes them stick out in some way? Or alternatively a way of telling rival males that this territory is occupied....or both maybe? Just thinking out loud :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

All ideas gratefully received, Buggy!

I did wonder if he might be scent marking his territory to keep other males out and attract females. Last Sunday I watched one male oust another from a patch of brambles. Once the original tenant had gone the victor made a few reccy flights around the patch and obviously did not encounter the first male ( he'd gone ). Once he knew the patch was now his the victor did a stem dance,tap dancing over random leafs on the bramble patch. And I wondered : was he marking it as his own?

Cheers

Hoggers

Return to “General”