Ben Lawers, Highland for Mountain Ringlet???

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Dave

Ben Lawers, Highland for Mountain Ringlet???

Post by Dave »

Hi - I know it's a bit in the future but how easy are Mountain Ringlet at Ben Lawers in the Highlands and which week do you think would be best in 2007 - Sat 7th to 14th July or Sat 14th to 21st? or another? I'm going to book my wife and I into a hotel in Aviemore (ca 70 miles away but excellent for wife like activities and other wildlife) for the week and you'd be amazed how quickly the good ones fill. We booked in January last year for a week in June for Chequered Skipper and we almost ended up with the last available room. My last needed non vagrant British species, unless those Derbyshire Large Coppers amount to anything and that's only about an hour's drive from me.
Thanks in advance.
Dave.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave,

I think your best bet is the first week you mention, but do remember that this species is only on the wing for a couple of weeks, and a very good or very bad season could knock them out by a week (or more!). You'll also need decent weather, and sufficient warmth, for the critters to show themselves.

Although this species can be found Ben Lawers itself, the easiest location is probably the area next to the road just before you reach the hydroelectric power station (and its dam). They can be found 10 yards or so from the road.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Sites”