Brimstone

Discussion forum for sightings.
markhows

Brimstone

Post by markhows »

Just seen a brimstone in my garden, it was pristine must be recently emerged is this unusually late. Managed a photo as well

Still seeing red admirals about as well.

Mark
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Visited my local gravel pits at lunchtime today - one red ad flying fast and purposefully south. Then a clouded yellow, flying gently tree to tree before making off south across an open field - sadly no photographic opportunity. As I left the pits and walked through the village, I photographed a male brimstone in a garden. Later, I was sitting in the car parked in Bedford town centre and saw several red ads spiralling up and down before landing briefly on a brick wall then flying off. When will the season end?!!
Alex
Chris

Comma

Post by Chris »

Saw a Comma today at Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales.

For as long as I've been keeping a record, Comma have been the first and last butterflies I've seen each year. Saw one on New Years day this year basking on a wall!
Simon C

first butterfly

Post by Simon C »

Here where I live the Brimstone is usually the first. I can still remember looking out of the kitchen window on January 1st 2000 and seeing a male brimstone settling on the Choisya in the garden.

Simon C
eccles

Post by eccles »

Comma or peacock are my usual first sightings and red admiral the last. I saw the latter in my garden this afternoon. It seemed to be attracted to the perfumed fabric conditioner in the neighbour's washing that was hanging out to dry.

Return to “Sightings”