Skipper IDs

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
sifenn

Skipper IDs

Post by sifenn »

My third group of IDs please from French Alps and Auvergne trip, turning attention to skippers...

First skipper that I saw - a Marbled Skipper ?

Red underwing Skippers ?

This obligingly tame Grizzled Skipper let me study its underwings - possibly Oberthur's ?

And I managed underwing and overwing of this specimen - Safflower ('clothes peg' on hindwing) ?

and another Safflower ?

leaving these 2 Grizzled's puzzling me; less strongly marked hindwings than the 'Oberthur's' above, so possibly Alpine ?

and from the Auvergne, an Essex Skipper (black antennae) and a female Lulworth (paw print on upper wings)

thanks again

PS - My IT skills are modest; I've been using uploads to gallery - how are others adding photos to posts minus the photo properties footer ?

Simon
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Skipper IDs

Post by Padfield »

Hi Si.

In order:

Tufted marbled skipper.
Yes - red underwing, red underwing.
Mmm ... Yes, I think it probably is Oberthür's.
The next one (that you suggest is safflower) I think is malvoides (southern grizzled skipper).
I think the next one (that you also suggest is safflower) is also malvoides.
The next two (that you speculate as being alpine) I tentatively suggest are olive skippers. An underside would sort this out instantly. I don't like them for alpine but can't absolutely rule this out as like most Pyrgus skippers, alpine has a very variable upperside.
Definitely Essex skipper, from the sex brand, and definitely Lulworth skipper.

I net Pyrgus skippers (when in doubt) and examine and photograph both upperside and underside. With good views of both, the majority can be confidently identified. But there is always a small minority that just can't be nailed, even in the hand!

Guy

PS - If your photos are stored online somewhere else you can insert them into a post using the Img tag, like this: [img]URL[/img] (for 'URL' insert online location of your photo)
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Re: Skipper IDs

Post by David M »

I agree with Guy regarding Safflower Skipper. I saw so many of these last month in the French Alps that I feel confident to state that yours are NOT Safflower.

This species is large and robust for a pyrgus and is immediately an insect that cannot be confused for one of its smaller brethren.

Return to “Identification”