To use a tripod or not to use a tripod?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Robin

To use a tripod or not to use a tripod?

Post by Robin »

I have been reading messages on another discussion board (British Wildlife) about the use of big lenses and the subject of handheld versus tripod came up. One contributor said that they had tried to use a tripod when photographing insects, but that setting up the tripod usually frightened the insect away. I seem to remember earlier messages on here that said some of you always used a tripod when photographing butterflies. Is that so? If you do, which tripod/head combination do you use and how do you manage to do this without frightening the butterfly away? How do you manage the range of heights where a butterfly might be - from ground level to high in a tree? Do any of you use a monopod?
I guess that's enough questions for one message :)
Cheers,
Robin
Chris

The use of tripods

Post by Chris »

Hi Robin,

I would like to use a tripod for every single shot but it just isn't possible. However, there are a couple of things I can share that make it easier for me:

1) Get up very early (before dawn)
If I can find the butterflies before they've warmed up, they make better subjects than the greatest supermodels. However, this is by no means easy and I have about a 5% success rate, particularly when searching for the more elusive species. In my experience, the easiest subjects to find at this time are those that roost low to the ground, such as the blues, pearl-bordered fritillaries, orange-tips and the browns. After this I find I have about a 30 minute window when the butterflies are active enough to be conspicuous but not active enough to be a problem, and then it's too late...

2) Use a flexible head and tripod
I use a Manfrotto 055PROB, which allows me to get right next to the ground (and 6' off the ground for other photography) with a 322RC head, which is a ball head with a squeezy quick release handle. It is amazing how sturdy this is when you use one and the time it takes to frame a shot is tiny compared with a normal head. However, constant use does require superman-fingers... or trumpet-player's fingers like mine :D

3) Frame a flower and wait for the butterfly to come to you
You need the patience of a saint. I rarely do this unless it is really hot or the Mrs wants to "sit down for a bit", however the extra time for composition makes more shots "keepers".

4) Go on a cloudy day.
See point (1) regards difficulty... see point (4) regards keepers.

I'd be fascinated to see what others do to enable them to use a tripod. There is no question about it, the sharpness achieved for making the effort makes it extremely worthwhile. I think the use of a tripod fits snuggly in both the fieldcraft and equipment sides of photography.

Regards,

Chris

Regards, Chris.[/i]
Oy

Post by Oy »

I use a tripod whenever possible for my insect photography - probably about 80% of the time.

Using a long focal length macro lens (150mm) makes this a lot easier.
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thanks Chris,

I really appreciate your guidance. Can't wait for next year to put it in practice. Looks as though I will have to swap my tripod for something more flexible like the 055PROB..........and get some leather patches for my trouser knees :lol:

Cheers,

Robin
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm a user of the Manfrotto 190PRO with ball head.

Soon as I spot an area where I notice the butterflies keep coming back to then out it comes, and I wait....

Those semi-cloudy days are good too, when the sun goes in, sneak up and quickly/quietly set tripod up and wait for the sun to come back out!

Remote shutter release is handy too.
Wayne
Oy

Post by Oy »

I use the 190ProB too - but with the 222 Joystick head. It makes using a tripod for insect photos a LOT easier.
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.

Return to “Photography”