Silver Studded Blue - South Wales

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David M

Silver Studded Blue - South Wales

Post by David M »

Saturday 28th June 2014

Very little attention is paid to the UK's most isolated populations of Silver Studded Blues, i.e. those occurring on the Pembrokeshire Coast by the Castlemartin Firing Ranges, near Bosherston.

I had only checked these colonies out once before, in July 2012, and on that particular day saw just five individuals.

Last Saturday, Bill (Willrow) and I spent an entire day in this magnificently beautiful part of Wales and what we both saw just blew us away.

Our official count was 101 Silver Studded Blues (mostly males, but at least a dozen females seen).
1SSBmaleupp2(1).jpg
The females were mainly devoid of blue, although a small number had a handful of blue scales:
1SSBuns2(1).jpg
The undersides of the females are the most striking feature of this species:
1SSBfemuns2(1).jpg
The sheltered Trevallen Downs part of the site was particularly productive:
1TrevallenDowns(1).jpg
After having undertaken a thorough search of the known area for SSBs in this location, Bill and I decamped to Stackpole Head (a fair distance away) to see if we could locate any there. We couldn't, but we got a major shock when we headed back via the sheltered path west of Broadhaven Bay and found 5 Male SSBs and 3 females in a small area just near the main gate.

I've done plenty of research into this species in S. Wales and I've never seen any reports of them occurring in this area, so to see a colony in this location is really significant.

Here's an overview of the terrain in which they were found:
1SSBhabitatBroadhaven(1).jpg
So, this precious species appears to be thriving in this unlikely location. It's also an area of abnormally profound beauty (it's not a World Heritage Site for nothing). Plenty of other rarities are resident here - otters, seals and a variety of coastal birdlife. We saw Guillemots and Choughs galore, including this individual who allowed us an unprecedented approach to within 20 yards:
1Chough2(1).jpg
Last edited by David M on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Re: Silver Studded Blue - South Wales

Post by Neil Hulme »

The SSBs are great David. But for me the winner is that Chough - love it!
BWs, Neil
Chris Jackson

Re: Silver Studded Blue - South Wales

Post by Chris Jackson »

David,
The blue on that male is quite intense compared to those down my way.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are many unknown colonies of many species around the UK, but to discover them you have to go and explore the terrain like you have done. Who knows what riches you'll discover next :) .
Cheers, Chris

Return to “Sites”