Help needed!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Ickle Welshy

Help needed!

Post by Ickle Welshy »

Hi!

I have a wooden summer house in my garden, and have recently discovered I have some lodgers hanging from the ceiling in there! I think they could be butterflies but have no knowledge of the different species and I hope someone can help me identify them. They're about an inch long, look grey/light brown with stripes, and have little horns. Not sure if their metamorphis has been interrupted/stopped as to me they haven't changed in weeks. There is one the looks like it didn't survive the start as it is about quarter inch without any horns. I have a picture but no idea how to upload!

If anyone knows what they may be, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

With thanks

Kim
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Help needed!

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Kim, a photo would be very helpful :)

Instructions are here: videogallery.php?mode=view&id=167

Alternatively you can e-mail it to me at vince@ukbutterflies.co.uk

Vince
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for e-mailing an image to me, Kim.
image-01G.jpg
It looks very much like the chrysalis of a Small Tortoiseshell. This is the wrong time of year for finding them, so it's either empty or dead.
You can see full details of this species here: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... es=urticae . Just scroll down to the bottom for images of the chrysalis.

Vince
Ickle Welshy

Post by Ickle Welshy »

Thanks very much Vince :) we've had a look and are all agreed that there is a striking resemblance :) at least we know that it's something beautiful and not something that might hurt us like a hornet (which was one suggestion!)

Kim

Return to “General”