Spring in the Air!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

Spring in the Air!

Post by MikeOxon »

Not butterflies but ...

I went down to Abingdon sewage works :) this morning, bird-watching. I was amazed to hear a couple of Chiffchaffs (Phylloscopus collybita) in full song - it produced a real feeling of Spring, even if my fingers were freezing. In fact, there has been a group of Chiffchaffs over-wintering in the area, including two of the rarer 'Siberian' tristis race.

Until quite recently, these birds were only Summer visitors and their arrival was regarded as one of the indicators of Spring but, presumably due to climate changes, several now over-winter here. It was a great pleasure to see and hear them! A few of the pics I took this morning ...
Chiffchaff_1.jpg
Chiffchaff_2.jpg
Chiffchaff_3.jpg
Chiffchaffs, Abingdon - 21st January 2014

Mike
William

Re: Spring in the Air!

Post by William »

Lovely shots Mike - as you say Chiffchaffs are true harbingers of spring, for me even before Swallows :D. Though as you pointed out, this has changed in recent years.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I believe that Chiffchaffs have a peculiar migration strategy. The ones that occur here in winter are immigrants from the Alps (or somewhere in that area) and are not those that migrate to Britain in the Spring from Spain and Africa. Our wintering Chiffchaffs presumably return to SE Europe in the spring.

Not too sure of my facts but am pretty certain that apparently early arrivals (singing in say January) are not true harbingers of spring but over-winterers from the southeast that enjoy our milder weather. No doubt, someone will put the record straight.

Jack
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Here in Sussex we have an over-wintering Swallow. My son also found a Willow Warbler which should not be here. Chiffchaffs are however seen quite regularly. We even had one in the garden yesterday and the day before. However, they are normally quiet until the days warm up a bit so it still is a great sign of spring to hear the actual 'chiff chaff' call.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Badgerbob
Here in Sussex we have an over-wintering Swallow.
Now that really is a sign of change.

In passing I might mention that I have yet to record an air frost in Tobermory this winter although there have been a couple of ground frosts. Long-term residents tell me that this is slightly unusual (although the temperature never drops particularly low). However, everyone is talking about how wet it has been. I have recorded 510 mms rain since the beginning of December. But it runs off quickly so no real flooding problems.

I have yet to see an Aurora here but a couple of nights ago we went out to a dark spot a few miles away. Wow! The Milky Way as I haven't seen it since childhood (when street lights were minimal). Isle of Mull should be selling itself as a "dark sky" locality. As I say no Aurora but pretty strong evidence of "nightglow" (airglow).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airglow

The problem when stargazing on these clear nights - even with temperatures just above zero - is that the cold becomes a real issue after some 30 minutes or so (Well it does for a 75 year old frame).

Jack
maverick

Post by maverick »

snow drops are the first signs that i look foward too
DSCF1598.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I was in Amsterdam over the weekend and was surprised to see daffodils out in Vondelpark!

It has been mild (and wet!) so far, compared to the last two winters.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Overwintering by chiffchaffs is not uncommon these days. Like the blackcap,this habit seems to have increased in the last forty years. To hear one singing,however,is remarkable-congratulations.

Living in East Anglia,i only wish the turtle dove could get into the habit of not migrating. Much of the reason for it's sad demise seems to be on migration and in it's winter quaters in Africa. Spending the winter in much safer Britain,perhaps feeding on farms and in gardens like it's close relative,the collared dove,could stem it's demise toward seemingly inevitable extinction in Britain. :(

I too have snowdrops in my garden,and the hedges are full of hazel catkins. A little early perhaps,but i feel the need to remind people that winter is only half-way through,and there is plenty of time for cold weather.

Return to “General”