Small Tortoishell pupa

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
hilary

Small Tortoishell pupa

Post by hilary »

Some weeks ago I saw a very late batch of newly hatched Tortoishell caterpillars and I thought I would try rearing a few (5).
When it got colder 3 weeks ago I brought them into the warmer conservatory and they have overtaken their wild siblings (of whom some at least are still caterpillars) and pupated last week. I am getting worried about the survival of them both lots.
My questions are: Before they hibernate do they need to feed? It is quite likely it will be too cold outdoors when they hatch and I'm not sure if there will be much left for them to fatten up on anyway, so would it be any good to create an 'artifical flower' with watered down honey and try too keep them indoors for a couple of days or will they just battle against the windows to get out?
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Small Tortoishell pupa

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Hilary,

It's my understanding that second brood individuals enter hibernation quite quickly after emerging from the pupa. I don't have details, but I imagine that they hatch with a reasonable amount of fat reserves which should enable them to get through the winter. The survival of these particularly late individuals will however depend on the type of winter we have. If it's cold and dry, then they are more likely to remain in torpor and avoid using up any energy reserves.

I still think it would be a good idea to provide them with the opportunity to feed when they emerge. However in my experience they are more likely to just fly off once the temperature reaches a certain point. There are still nectar sources available at this time of year, notably ivy flowers, so the opportunity to build up fat reserves exists.

An early stages report for this species can be found here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7156 if it helps.

Please let us know how you get on :) .

Vince
hilary

Post by hilary »

Thanks Vince for the advice - I'd forgotten about the ivy!. Its a bit of a relief to know that they may, given a good winter, manage to hibernate on their fat reserves because at the moment the weather is completly dismal. But from your timings of 12 days as pupa ( from your brilliant life cycle reports - all of which are spellbinding) gives mine at least another week. I'm supposing the cooler weather will slow them down - the conservatory is unheated but warmer than outdoors.

One that pupated amonst the neetles is the beautiful golden colour. the others that pupated on the frame are brown.
hilary

Post by hilary »

Just in time for the 'Hurricane' most of the crysalises are darkening and just showing colour.

Return to “General”