Possible "Helice" Clouded Yellow.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Testudo Man

Possible "Helice" Clouded Yellow.

Post by Testudo Man »

Im still learning here :wink:

After looking through this forum for a couple of days now, ive come across the word/term Helice which i confess of not hearing/knowing about until now!

I know i had a fantastic time on the 11/8/13, when i captured emerging/mating shots of the clouded yellows. But the day before, was when i first saw a clouded yellow. It was at a different location(approx 20 miles distance) and i only saw the one CY on the day.
I went there for Small Blue, Adonis Blue, Chalk hill Blue etc. which i was pleased to see/photograph.

This "strange" butterfly caught my eye, i gave chase and stalked it until it landed, i took record long distance shots with my Nikon at first, then i used my FZ45 bridge camera, with the raynox 250 macro lens attached(which meant getting within 6 inches of the target) in order to make the shot. This all happened pretty quick, the CL was gone in an instant, in the next 3 hours of searching i didnt sight it again.
I was very happy, i had seen a new species, and got some pics.

The question is, is this CL a helice??? from the pics/threads on this site, it appears it might be?

Cheers Paul.

A couple of photos(close ups).
10th-August-2013-226-to-600.jpg
10th-August-2013-220-to-600.jpg
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Possible "Helice" Clouded Yellow.

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Having managed to get a few photo's of the Helice type of CY this year, I would say yes and it's a lovely fresh one too, very nice photos especially the first one :D
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Having managed to get a few photo's of the Helice type of CY this year, I would say yes and it's a lovely fresh one too, very nice photos especially the first one :D

Thanks for that, and good to see a few of these helice type about too.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Definitely helice, and the first shot is definitely worthy of the species-specific albums!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Pete Eeles wrote:Definitely helice, and the first shot is definitely worthy of the species-specific albums!

Cheers,

- Pete

Thanks very much for that Pete, funny you should say that about the species-specific album too :oops: :roll: :wink:

All joking aside, Im really lucky that my first ever CL sighting, turned out to be a helice
If I had not found this great forum/site, then this image would still be gathering dust on my PC, because ive sat on this photo since the 10/8/13, i havent uploaded/shown it anywhwere before.

I might just have to upload this one on my Flickr account now :D

Cheers Paul.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Testudo Man wrote:If I had not found this great forum/site, then this image would still be gathering dust on my PC
Thanks Paul. The sentiment you've just expressed is exactly why we have the facility for members to upload images - to put all of those wonderful photos to good use! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Identification”