October 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Perseus

October 2013

Post by Perseus »

2 October 2013
In Shoreham town there was a least one Small White Butterfly on an overcast day with brief spells if sunshine. The Pixie Path route to Mill Hill added a Speckled Wood and a Red Admiral. On Mill Hill Road , north of the bridge, I spied a Dark Bush Cricket by the hedge. Venturing down to the dry lower slopes of Mill Hill, the first of over a dozen Meadow Browns fluttered around more rapidly than usual. Even more restless was two sightings of a Clouded Yellow (a half an hour apart) which may have been the same butterfly. Of note was a large brown butterfly which I suspected was a female Adonis Blue. There was also a probable male Adonis Blue as well as a female Common Blue. The difficulty of identification was because the butterflies edges were tattered. The identification was made on size and brightness of the blue and on previous appearances. Most butterflies were at the northern end by the Devils Bit Scabious, where a fresh Large White Butterfly fluttered around. There appeared to be a shortage of nectar plants. Meadow Browns used the Devils Bit Scabious and Bramble and made a fleeting visit to Wild Basil. There was also a an orange-brown moth that flew from the ground to hedgerow height and disappeared. I have seen these before in September and they have never been positively identified, although they could be Vapourer Moths?
Eight butterfly species http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2013.html
Matsukaze

Re: October 2013

Post by Matsukaze »

7 torts, 4 commas, 2 red admirals, 2 small whites on garden buddleia. Commas have been scarce so far this autumn but I rarely see this many at once.
Perseus

Blue Query

Post by Perseus »

I don't know if this is an Adonis Blue or Common Blue? It was seen chasing away a blue butterfly half its size which was thought to be a Common Blue.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I'd go for Adonis myself...
David M

Post by David M »

FISHiEE wrote:I'd go for Adonis myself...
Me too. The spots on the hindwing and the powdery blue hue are very Adonis-like.
Perseus

Mill Hill

Post by Perseus »

David M wrote:
FISHiEE wrote:I'd go for Adonis myself...
Me too. The spots on the hindwing and the powdery blue hue are very Adonis-like.
Thanks. I went for Adonis as well.

"Notably there was a large brown butterfly which I suspected was a female Adonis Blue. There was also a probable male Adonis Blue as well as a female Common Blue. The difficulty of identification was because the butterflies edges were tattered. The identification was made on size and brightness of the blue and on previous appearances."

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/MillHill2013.html
IainLeach
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by IainLeach »

Notts today, 35+ Commas on a small area of brambles nectaring on the berries and enjoying the warm sunshine, plus 15 Speckled Woods and a few Red Admirals. Not seen so many Commas in one spot for a while.
David M

Post by David M »

7 species of butterfly seen at West Williamston Nature Reserve in Pembrokeshire today.

Speckled Wood 8
Red Admiral 6
Small Copper 5
Comma 3
Small White 2
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Brown Hairstreak 1

Evenings still continue to be as warm as days, so we may as well get out and see what we can see.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Southerndown, Glamorgan Heritage Coast. Lovely day here in South Wales with temperatures around 20c, the coastal footpaths and grassy areas were very healthily populated, at least 50 Small Whites seen and Small Tortoiseshell numbered two dozen or so, a few Comma and Red Admiral enjoyed the Blackberries and several Speckled Wood entered the count where the overhanging trees covered the footpaths. Probably the highlight of a rather pleasant few hours though - supposedly taking photographic seascapes :roll: - were the good numbers of Small Copper which appeared to be in great condition, this probable third generation raises hopes of a rare fourth generation later on if these temperatures hold up...here's hoping!

I spent lunch on a grassy knoll (it wasn't painful :wink: ) watching a rather annoyed pair of Chough chasing a Buzzard off their patch, corvids are not exactly my favourite birds, I make an exception with Chough I could spend days watching them...and come to think of it I have :shock:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:Southerndown, Glamorgan Heritage Coast. Lovely day here in South Wales with temperatures around 20c...
Don't rub it in, Bill. :)

It was equally lovely all the way to Broadmoor (where the East Williamston turn off is), whereupon a layer of cloud formed a frustrating 'Maginot' line.
David M

Post by David M »

A leisurely, 90 minute stroll around the sheltered canal in Pontardawe early this afternoon resulted in the following sightings:

Small Tortoiseshell 20
Comma 13
Red Admiral 11
Small White 10
Speckled Wood 2
Small Copper 2
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

My thanks to Nigel for finding another Long-tailed Blue yesterday near Eastbourne, one of it seems, many sites along the Sussex coast where these lovely little butterflies have been found. It took a lot of patience to relocate it after I had arrived but it was time well spent!!
http:// bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Attachments
male Long-tailed Blue
male Long-tailed Blue
Last edited by badgerbob on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

6 October 2013
Under a mixed cloudy sky, it was warm enough for the few remaining butterflies to come out in the sunshine. At least four Speckled Woods were seen in the shade of bushes and trees at the top of Chanctonbury Drive (SE of Mill Hill Road Bridge over the A27). The sun then disappeared behind a cloud and did not reappear until I was on the lower slopes of Mill Hill. Meadow Browns were the first butterflies to be seen and this trek I counted 19 in the one acre transect in about half an hour and more after I stopped counting. All but one of the butterflies were congregated at the northern end but other species were sparse in numbers with just two Small Heath Butterflies, a Large White, and two brown females, one each of Common Blue and Adonis Blue. Pride of place was given to a good condition Small Copper. A restless Clouded Yellow was the one exception as it fluttered continually the full length of the lower slopes and back. A Small White was noted as I returned by the winding path through the lower slopes. http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-lis ... l#6October
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Brilliant warm sunshine on Sunday (6th.Oct) brought out Vanessids in force!

The late-Summer border at Waterperry Gardens, nr. Wheatley, Oxon, with its array of Michaelmas daisies and other nectar-rich plants is a magnet for butterflies, and well worth a visit on any warm day at this time of year.
Waterperry Gardens,Oxon - 6th. Oct. 2013<br />Herbaceous Border
Waterperry Gardens,Oxon - 6th. Oct. 2013
Herbaceous Border
The purple flowers seemed to attract the most butterflies, including Brimstone, Large White, Small Copper, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, as shown in the following photos:
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
Waterperry,Oxon - 6th.October, 2013<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
A splendid late-Season display of colour :)

Mike
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Long-tailed Blue sightings in Sussex. Not me though. In my area but only occasional visiting areas.

http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

badgerbob wrote:My thanks to Nigel for finding another Long-tailed Blue yesterday near Eastbourne, one of it seems, many sites along the Sussex coast where these lovely little butterflies have been found. It took a lot of patience to relocate it after I had arrived but it was time well spent!!
bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Bob, this new LTB photo of yours is an absolute corker! :D
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I was in Brompton Ralph in Somerset for the weekend in what seemed like glorious summer weather.

On Saturday 5th October, in one of my favourite spots, at least 25 Comma, 2 Red Admiral, 10 Speckled Wood with a lovely dark Comma aberration with too much black. I've never seen so many Comma in one place; this seems to match reports from a few other observers. Every bramble bush held some, drunk on sunshine and blackberries.

Later, in Taunton, a Peacock, a Small Tortoiseshell and a Small White were also seen.

Photos to follow in my diary, including the Comma ab :D

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Perseus wrote:6 October 2013...Meadow Browns were the first butterflies to be seen and this trek I counted 19 in the one acre transect
I can't believe you're seeing Meadow Browns still.

They disappeared from S. Wales a month ago.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

David M wrote:
Perseus wrote:6 October 2013...Meadow Browns were the first butterflies to be seen and this trek I counted 19 in the one acre transect
I can't believe you're seeing Meadow Browns still.

They disappeared from S. Wales a month ago.
They were fresh. They will only hang on in the short chalk vegetation.

I am sure they will seen every year in October. Only three last year. Weather probably poor.

Looking back to October 2007 and they were seen in previous years but not so many.

Other people have seen as many as 23 in October. Usual hour total is about 8 at this time of the year, so 19 in an acre is exceptional. I did not think it was unusual. At a cattle pasture today, none were seen.

6 November 2007
A Meadow Brown Butterfly fluttering around the green herbs over the northern part of the lower slopes of Mill Hill was the first ever of this species recorded locally in the month of November. This is the sixth species of butterfly recorded in this month. I think it was a male, but I did not get a closer look because I was buzzed by the first wasp.
Last edited by Perseus on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sightings”