August holiday to Suffolk

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

August holiday to Suffolk

Post by Philzoid »

As I don't have a Personal Diary I've decided the best place to stick this is "General"

Holiday to Sibton part 1
After meeting up with Wurzel for a trip to Shipton Bellinger where both male and female Brown Hairstreaks were photoed along with an open winged male Brimstone :shock: :D I was determined to keep the impetus going in my family cottage holiday break to Sibton Suffolk. Last year I took my moth trap so that I could get my lepidopteran 'fix' (for me there's more to holidays than just lying on a beach :wink: ) and this year I did the same making sure all the dodgy wiring was rectified to avoid any repeat of last year's tripping out the cottage's main fuse :oops: .
The view from our bedroom window
The view from our bedroom window
The moth trap was largely contingency as I had made some plans :twisted: :lol: . Last year after eventually finding the 'hidden away' location of Strumpshaw Fen my missus and the kids huffed and puffed at the idea of taking a walk around Swallowtail country :shock: :( . With a mixture of huge disappointment and a little nagging guilt for even considering to put them through 'such a torment' on what was after all a family holiday, I had to grudgingly concede to their disapproval :roll: . This year I wasn't going to miss out.

As I expect you all know, it has been a great year for Buddleia butterflies. My own bush has been adorned with Peacocks and Large Whites with Comma; and the odd Small Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady; Red Admiral, Brimstone and even Large Skipper putting in an appearance. East Anglia was no different except the bush flowers were less spent, and the proportion of Small Tortoiseshell was much higher than in Surrey. Red admirals on the other hand were noticeable by their absence. The Garden at the cottage had its fair share of vanessids and whites :D .
Great to see and photo decent numbers of Small Torts
Great to see and photo decent numbers of Small Torts
Lots of Large Whites this year
Lots of Large Whites this year
D IMG_5033 Small Tortoiseshell, Cardinal Cottage, Sibton.jpg
E IMG_5043 Small Tortoiseshell, Cardinal Cottage, Sibton.jpg
Perhaps the most numerous vanessid this year?
Perhaps the most numerous vanessid this year?
All commas seen were past their best. This one visited the cottage garden every day
All commas seen were past their best. This one visited the cottage garden every day
On my trips into Southwold I would purposefully park the car in a sidestreet some way from the sea-front and then carefully avoid taking the most direct route to the beach so I could check out the Buddleias and then nip back later-on under the pretence I'd left something in the car :wink: .
H IMG_4904 Small Tortoiseshell on Buddleia, Southwold.jpg
Large numbers of Silver Y's this year.
Large numbers of Silver Y's this year.
Painted Ladies in tip top condition
Painted Ladies in tip top condition
K IMG_4962 Painted Lady on Buddleia, Southwold trim.jpg
L IMG_4966 Painted Lady on Buddleia, Southwold trim.jpg
M IMG_4976 Small Tortoiseshell on Buddleia, Southwold trim.jpg
Lots of the best bushes were in very shallow front gardens so it looked a bit dodgy with a bloke standing there pointing his big lens at their front windows. Likewise taking the camera into gents and illuminating it with my flash to get pictures of roosting moths must have raised some eye-brows :shock: ... all par for the course of nature photography :wink: .
Marbled Green (I think ... may be Marbled Beauty?)
Marbled Green (I think ... may be Marbled Beauty?)
Southwold is the main attraction on our holidays to Suffolk what with gentile pace and non-tacky feel, great beaches, fantastic beer (Adnams in the Lord Nelson and Solebay Inn), unusual pier attractions and free parking :D :!: .
Southwolds famous beach huts
Southwolds famous beach huts
Southwolds lighthouse now with constant illumination
Southwolds lighthouse now with constant illumination
From here there are plenty of other places to explore. This year we paid a visit to Africa Alive a zoo in Kessingland Nr. Lowestoft and it was well worth it. 8)
The Fossa looks like a cross between a cat and an overgrown stoat and hunts Lemurs in its native Madagascar
The Fossa looks like a cross between a cat and an overgrown stoat and hunts Lemurs in its native Madagascar
Some people's worst nightmare ... my missus squirmed when she saw these
Some people's worst nightmare ... my missus squirmed when she saw these
After a couple of days of lounging on Southwold beach; snapping vanessids on Buddleias I was getting itchy feet so decided it was time to hatch my plan. Surprisingly it was met with a modicum of approval ("OK as long as you're not there all day") :shock: :D . Fat chance :x . First there was a long morning session at Southwold's Maize Maze, followed by packed lunch and it wasn't until 14:00 :roll: before I was able to bundle the family off to the beach and head off for Norfolk.
It seems there are no quick roads heading North/South in East Anglia. As it was cereal harvest time there were plenty of tractors pulling corn carts to slow the traffic further. It took me close on 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to Strumpshaw Fen. However immediately on arrival I met a couple of walkers with cameras and bins. They told me they had seen 3 Swallowtails out on the fens and a Clouded Yellow in the Dr's Garden :o . Without further ado I set off for what turned out to be a long walk.
The Dr's garden revealed nothing but a few Small Whites in the vegetable plot. However nearby is a stile to cross over a railway line and this leads into the fen. A perimeter walkway takes you all the way around an RSPB nature reserve. In addition close by to where I had entered, was a short board-walk disappearing into neck-high reeds and it was in there with the help of a knowledgeable local that I saw my first ever Swallowtail ... not an imago mind, but nevertheless a great find :D .
Swallowtail larvae
Swallowtail larvae
T IMG_5185 Swallowtail larva, Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk 20.08.13.jpg
U IMG_5188 Swallowtail larva, Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk 20.08.13.jpg
Along the walk were numerous Buddeia bushes which were covered in Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, and the three Whites. The sun was blazing, Dragonflies buzzed all around and mosquitos took their fill in broad daylight :o . Everyone I met along the way said they'd seen a Swallowtail on a Buddleia ... but which Buddleia :roll: ? A tiring sweaty mile and a half later and I got my answer. As I fumbled for my camera and pulled the trigger the butterfly made a dash for it. However brief a sighting it was still a first ... a lifer :D .
V IMG_5191 Swallowtail (making off (first ever sighting)) , Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk 20.08.13.jpg
more to follow
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: August holiday to Suffolk

Post by Wurzel »

Great report so far Philzoid with great shots and congrats with the lifer :D looking forward to the next instalment even if it does mean you're in the lead again :mrgreen: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Ps did you add Silver Spots today?
Philzoid

Re: August holiday to Suffolk

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for your comments Wurzel :)

Part 2 will continue in the Suffolk tourist brochure theme, with a few butterflies and moths thrown in :wink: There may even be a part 3 if I'm not careful :shock:
Wurzel wrote:even if it does mean you're in the lead again
taking the lead is riding on a a correct ID of a smessex .. and we all know how tricky they can be :?
Wurzel wrote:Ps did you add Silver Spots today?
No Silver-spots unfortunately :| I got a tip-off from Milerd for Brown Hairstreak that diverted me from going to Denbies to Bookham Commons instead. No Brostreaks seen but nevertheless an interesting morning's butterflying :) .

Phil

Return to “General”