Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 1

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
kevling

Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 1

Post by kevling »

My family and I have just returned from a wonderful holiday in the French Alps. It was my first real go at observing continental European species, so with my 'L' plates well and truly displayed, of we set.
The weather gods were looking down favourably on us and we enjoyed almost wall to wall sunshine for the entire two weeks. In fact it felt more like Egypt than French Alps, which of course meant plenty of Butterfly activity. At times it was so hot, that many of them didn't settle for long, making photography a challenge.
My wife and I have spend the last fortnight going through my photos, pulling our hair out, scratching our heads and hoping that we have identified correctly. So my reports come with a slight health warning and inevitability that we may have made some errors in identification. Please forgive us and I welcome the experts amongst you putting us right.

Our first field trip was in the Brevent/Flegere area of the Chamonix valley. At an altitude of 2000-2500 metres.
The first soecies seen was an Alpine Grayling, picking up some minerals in an area free of any vegetation.
Alpine Grayling.jpg
Close by was what looked like a Dewy Ringlet.
Dewy Ringlet.jpg
There were a good number of Satyridae, but only one or posed long enough for me to capture. This Marbled Ringlet was especially brave, resting on the cold snow.
Marbled Ringlet.jpg
A little lower down, this Mnestras Ringlet looked to have found a warmer spot to sit.
Mnestras Ringlet.jpg
Next up were some Fritillaries. The first being a Queen of Spain, with it's unmistakeable underwing design.
Queen Of Spain Fritillary.jpg
Then the Frits got a little more challenging for me. I believe the next two are Pearl Bordered.
Pearl Bordered Fritillary 1.jpg
Pearl Bordered Fritillary 2.jpg
This next one was difficult, but I'm taking a punt at Weavers ?
Weavers Frit - Brevent Q.jpg
Finally, what I think might be Female Heath Fritillary
Female Heath Fritillary 1.jpg
Female Heath Fritillary 2.jpg
I was delighted to see some skippers next. I had been enjoying a good year in Blighty, seeing my first Grizzled and Silver Spotted, so was hoping to add to my haul here. I believe the first one is an Olive Skipper, followed by Safflower?
Olive Skipper.jpg
Safflower Skipper - Q.jpg
As we reduced in altitude slightly, the blues started to put in an appearance and my copy of Tristan LaFranchis ' Butterflies of Europe' was pulled from the rucksack with worrying abandon. I admit now, that I may have made some errors with these, but with fingers crossed, here goes.
The first two are Mazarine Blue, followed by a Geranium Argus.
Mazarine Blue 1.jpg
Mazarine Blue 2.jpg
Geranium Argus.jpg
Having only ever seen a Small variety, this Alpine Heath was a nice find and not half as flighty as his small relative.
Alpine Heath.jpg
The highlight of my first day was my first ever Clouded Yellow. This was a Moorland Clouded Yellow on a hillside full of Northern Bilberry.
Moorland Clouded Yellow.jpg
A great day of hiking and Butterflying which also included Swallowtails, Black Veined Whites, Small Tortoiseshells, Whites and numorous blues that never made landfall. Patience would prove to be a virtue later in the week (report to follow).

Regards and thanks for any corrections

Kev Ling
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 1

Post by Padfield »

Hi Kev - lovely pictures!

Your first picture - the 'alpine grayling' - is an Erebia species. To be honest, I'm a little unsure about which - partly because of the single eye visible on the forewing. On the whole I go for gorge (silky) but I might think differently in the morning! Here is a gorge underside showing the same general colour scheme that I took this year:

Or is it a very dark tyndarus (yours, that is - I know mine is gorge)?

I can't see Weaver's frit in the butterfly you suggest as that - I'd go for Titania's on that picure alone, but obviously an underside would confirm. The position of the hindwings is a little unfortunate as I can't rule out a slightly melanic and heavily marked pearl-bordered.

I would say your female heath frit is a male heath frit.

The first Pyrgus is difficult from the upperside alone. It is compatible with olive skipper but at altitude large grizzled skipper can look very like this (though there is usually some very diffuse pale marking on the hindwing). A glimpse of the underside would be definitive.

The second Pyrgus is a grizzled skipper - malvae or malvoides. I can't tell from the appearance alone and I don't know which flies in Chamonix (it may depend on altitude).

I look forward to the next instalment!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

On first impressions:
The Erebia underside and the second upperside as gorge?
The Boloria as a melanic euphrosyne, not uncommon like this in the French Alpes.
For the Pyrgus, maybe cacaliae? The markings look a trifle elongated, but the size and separation and unmarked uph suggest cacaliae.
No detailed analysis here, just some thoughts offered for consideration.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes - I agree the 'marbled' ringlet is probably also gorge. I passed too quickly over that one! And cacaliae too for the first Pyrgus - definitely the most likely. It's been a long day in the sun ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
kevling

Post by kevling »

Guy,Roger,

Thanks for your help so far. As a rookie European butterflier, I found it quite a challenge with some species. I tried to get topside and underside shots of everything I saw, but of course our little friends don't always co-operate. Despite a few ID errors that you have already highlighted, I am learning so much by analyising my photos. Practice makes perfect (one day I hope).

Kind Regards
Kev

Return to “Overseas”