August 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

August 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Checked my Hop plant and found that a lot of the Comma eggs noted last week had hatched. In all I counted 21 first-instar larvae on the under surfaces of the leaves, with many eggs still to hatch.
First-instar Comma larvae on Hop - Caterham, Surrey 1-Aug-2013
First-instar Comma larvae on Hop - Caterham, Surrey 1-Aug-2013
First-instar Comma larva on Hop - Caterham, Surrey 1-Aug-2013
First-instar Comma larva on Hop - Caterham, Surrey 1-Aug-2013
I have already produced an "Early Stages" report for this species, so this has been updated to include additional images. This can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6582

Also in the garden, my single Nasturtium is taking a hammering form Large White and Small White. To date there are 4 batches of Large White eggs and countless ones deposited by Small White. Although the latter species lays eggs singly, some favoured leaves have 17 eggs on them. New Garlic Mustard growth is also being used.
Large White eggs on Nasturtium
Large White eggs on Nasturtium
Also some first-instar Small White larvae on the undersides of the leaves.
First-instar Small White larva on Nasturtium
First-instar Small White larva on Nasturtium
I may have to get some more plants in to support all the larvae :)

Vince
ChrisC

Re: August 2013

Post by ChrisC »

I've not known a year like it. a week ago I was inundated with peacock, tonight I came home to easily 40 butterflies in the garden, the largest quota going to brimstone, a conservative estimate of 15+, peacocks 8-12, 4 comma, 5 large white, small whites, painted lady, red admiral, at least 3 large skippers and the list goes on. all on various Buddliea.

Chris
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Had the day off work today. Visited Sherwood Heath near Ollerton in Nottinghamshire first. My main target was Essex Skipper (this site is right on the edge of its range). I was successful, also seeing lots of Small Skipper. There were lots of Small White and Gatekeeper, as well as Small Copper, Meadow Brown, the odd Large White, and a few Ringlet. In places, there were literally hundreds of butterflies within eyesight. Not something I've seen in my lifetime before. This summer will long live in the memory.

Later I travelled to Ladybower Wood near Ladybower Resevoir in Derbyshire. I'd been tipped off about a colony of Purple Hairstreak that would give good views as the path looked down onto the canopy of the "Master" Oak Tree. Again I wasn't disappointed. There were probably around 20ish Purple Hairstreak fluttering around the canopy. With binoculars I got some great views, and an ok picture on maximum zoom with my camera. But sadly they didn't flutter close enough for a macro picture. Next year maybe!
David M

Post by David M »

Lots and lots of Whites flying about our car park at work by the hedgerows.

Long time since I've seen so many and it is most welcome.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Many hundreds of chalkhill blues on Arreton Down Isle of Wight tonight, roosting on long grass.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

ChrisC wrote:I've not known a year like it. a week ago I was inundated with peacock, tonight I came home to easily 40 butterflies in the garden, the largest quota going to brimstone, a conservative estimate of 15+, peacocks 8-12, 4 comma, 5 large white, small whites, painted lady, red admiral, at least 3 large skippers and the list goes on. all on various Buddliea.

Chris
There were several large Buddleias where I was working today in Fordingbridge. I did a 15 minute count between 2 and 2.15. I counted 27 Peacocks :shock: across 4 bushes, as well as half a dozen Brimstone, a couple each of Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Small White, 4 Large White and a Comma. As well as the many whites fluttering away in the distance. What would we do without Buddleia :D :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It was both very hot (32C) and very windy on the slope at Aston Rowant NNR this afternoon, which meant that butterflies were keeping down and in the shade as much as possible. Indeed, at first, there seemed to be very little activity, although it became apparent after a while than many Skippers and Blues were making short fast flights between flowers.

The path to the slope from the car-park was 'guarded' by several Speckled Woods, poised on leaves along the edges. Once on the slope, there were plenty of Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Small Skippers. I've often noticed that there seems to be a sort of 'Wallace Line', a short distance along the top path of the slope, where Small Skippers are replaced by their Silver-Spotted relatives.

At first, photography seemed almost impossible, as attempts to focus on a Skipper on a flower head produced an image dancing all over the screen, in the gusty wind. Fortunately, with digital, one can fire away, hoping to catch the brief moments of calm! So, out of a rather large collection of images, I managed a few that were reasonably sharp.

This Silver-spotted Skipper showed particularly strong rust hues on the underside of the fore wings:
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Most Chalk Hill Blues were keeping their wings firmly closed while feeding but, eventually, one obliged me with partially opened wings:
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Later, I saw some others, demonstrating that they can equal Purple Emperors when it come to feeding habits :shock: :
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Burnet Moths were adding colour to the slope and I also saw a few Peacocks flying across. There were also a few very bright 'Robin's pincushions' - galls of the Diplolepis rosae wasp.
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/125s@f/5.6 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/125s@f/5.6 ISO400
The light was turning quite golden as I headed back towards the car-park, and a Small Copper provided an attractive 'stained-glass window' effect against the low sun:
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
I met two people on the slope who were fairly new to butterflying, though they had already seen Purple Emperors and Silver-washed Fritillaries at Bernwood. I recommended this website to them and hope we shall see posts from them in due course :D .

Finally, my commiserations to anyone who was trying to travel South along the M40. The carriageway was essentially stationary for the entire duration of my visit - over 2 hours!

Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I went to the local garden centre to get a large potted Nasturtium to help feed the the Large Whites that will soon be hatching in my garden. There were no nasturtiums for sale, so I had a look at the cabbages. These were all too small to be of any use and were dotted with Small White eggs. One plant also had a batch of Large White eggs on it which I rescued. I did not manage to get any extra plants, but now have an extra 30 Large White eggs :roll:

In the afternoon I walked my usual route around my local site at Happy Valley and found that the first Chalkhill Blues of the year had emerged.
Chalkhill Blue male - Coulsdon, Surrey 2-Aug-2013
Chalkhill Blue male - Coulsdon, Surrey 2-Aug-2013
The colony here is very small, but it's only a mile from home so I cannot complain :D .

Vince
Neil Freeman

August 2013

Post by Neil Freeman »

Went down to Aston Rowant today to see Chalkhill Blues and Silver-spotted Skippers. Loads of both, too many to count :D

Species seen as below, all at north side of M40.

Chalkhill Blue - hundreds if not thousands all over the hillsides.
Common Blue - 6.
Brown Argus - 5.
Small Copper - 7.
Silver-spotted Skipper - At least 100+ mostly on the shorter turf but also in the longer grass areas.
Small Skipper - 30+ in longer grass areas lower down slope.
Large Skipper - 2 one of which looked in surprisingly good condition and no, it wasn't a SSS.
Essex Skipper - 5 identified by photo mostly in the first long grass area.
Meadow Brown - All over the place.
Gatekeeper - Loads, mostly along the hedge line at lower slope.
Marbled White - 3 faded examples.
Ringlet - A fair number dotted about along the hedge line at lower slope.
Small Heath - 5.
Speckled Wood - 3 in wooded area by car park.
Red Admiral - 1 by car park.
Small Tortoiseshell - 1 by lower path.
Peacock - 10+ mostly along lower hedge line and path.
Large white - All over, too many to count.
Small White - as for Large White.
Green-veined White - 12+ mostly along lower hedge line.
Brimstone - 3 males 4 females nectaring along lower hedge line.

Total of 21 species seen at Aston Rowant.

I called in at Bernwood Meadows for an hour on my way back up the M40 and along with the usual Browns, Skippers, Common Blues and Small Coppers etc. saw half a dozen Silver-washed Fritillaries on the brambles around the meadows making it 22 species for the day :D .

Loads of photos to sort through as usual so will update my diary over the weekend.

Neil F.
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Not my sighting, but I've just read on the BC Herts & Middx sightings page that a fresh male Orange-tip was seen this afternoon on Harpenden Common.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Vince,i have exeactly the same problem! My nastutium has several Large cabbage White egg batches on it,as well as two batches of small caterpillars and countless Small White eggs. The cabbages at my local nurseries are thin and small. I'm torn,i din't know whether to put the potted nasturtium into a net,to protect the larvae,or leave it out,to attract more female cabbage whites to lay!
I'm going to get those cabbages though,and grow them in a pot,they should grow quickly in August.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Mark,

I've now netted my nasturtium to stop any further egg laying, because it will not be able to support any more larvae. I plan to transfer the large egg batches to cabbages in the next few days.

Vince
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

essexbuzzard:
My nastutium has several Large cabbage White egg batches on it
Isle of Mull is normally a Large White free zone (except for occasional immigration). So for the first time for years, I can grow nasturtiums.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

The first day of August found me heading towards Dorset and Fontmell Down in the hope of seeing Silver-spotted Skipper it was very frustrating to find the wind there very brisk and I knew I would be very fortunate to see my target species, I don't believe their ever found here in good numbers even in the very best of conditions, it was also rather early when my search started and the temperatures were still around 17c - far too cool for this insect. Chalkhill Blue on the otherhand were up and about in small numbers and so my forty-sixth species of the year was recorded. I ended my search for S-sS at around mid-morning and headed on down to the coast, promising myself a return evening visit if time allowed on my journey home.

I reached Durleston Country Park, Near Swanage around mid-day and had some lunch before exploring this busy and popular location, I will admit now that I ended my visit feeling more like a 'natural history' tourist guide than a simple seeker of butterflies, loads of fellow visitors (and I mean loads!) wanted to know what I was photographing and why :roll: I should have been on the park payroll :lol: Onward...my mission here was twofold Essex and Lulworth Skipper the former has to go down as just 'very probable' however in the rank grasses and heat that was now into 30c+ I was unable to attain a record photograph...double drat!!! Lulworth Skipper by comparison were evident in their hundreds, again the grasses proved a hindrance to any real good photograph, having said that I managed an acceptable few, my years total now reaching at least 47 (48 if I add Essex Skipper!) and my hoped for total of the 'Fabulous Fifty' is within range...and get this - I still haven't managed to see a Holly Blue...the little b****rs have even hid sneakily behind leaves to avoid me this year :twisted:

Another great day with twenty one species seen in all. I returned for a final hour or so to Fontmell Down on my way home and although the winds had eased somewhat and the temperatures on the Silver-spotted Skippers favoured upper slopes were still in the low 20c's not a sign of the insect was to be had, so perhaps its still a tad early here in comparison to the species more southerly sites, I shall return in a couple of weeks and also be able to enjoy the spectacle of second generation Adonis Blue on their most quintessential downland habitat :wink:

Bill :D
Attachments
Lulworth Skipper nectaring on bramble at Durleston.
Lulworth Skipper nectaring on bramble at Durleston.
Beautiful female Chalkhill Blue in the evening light at Fontmell Down.
Beautiful female Chalkhill Blue in the evening light at Fontmell Down.
This male Chalkhill Blue greeted me on arrival at Fontmell Down
This male Chalkhill Blue greeted me on arrival at Fontmell Down
These Marbled White were among hundreds seen at Durleston Country Park
These Marbled White were among hundreds seen at Durleston Country Park
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
jenks

Post by jenks »

Willrow wrote: my years total now reaching at least 47 (48 if I add Essex Skipper!)
Bill :D

48 species !! Ye Gods, you must have done some travelling ! I know how you feel re Holly Blue. I saw 50 species last year , my half century being reached with Brown Hairstreak on 29 September at West Williamston, Pembs, and I still managed to miss out on Holly Blue and Wall !.

Good luck over the rest of the summer.

Jenks.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bill,

Glad to see you got you Lulworth Skippers at Durlston, guessing it does get a bit busy in peak season, when I went in September it was a bit quieter (kids back at School by then :wink:)

I managed 50 species last year which surprised me when I totted up at the end of the season. I think I am on 40 something so far this year, will have to check. I have some firsts this year (Marsh and Heath Frits and Large Blue) but have missed out on a few from previous years.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Willrow wrote:I was unable to attain a record photograph
We seem to be reaching the stage where we don't feel we have seen something unless we have the photo. I think it does make it easier to understand the Victorians who, without the photo option, felt it necessary to collect such large 'bags' of specimens, just to 'prove' they had found them!

I agree that Essexes can be very difficult. I took several photos recently of one at Aston Rowant that I was pretty sure was an Essex until photos proved otherwise :(

Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I did the same at Aston Rowant yesterday but in the end managed a couple of blurry record shots to confirm Essex of which the one below (cropped and sharpened a bit in PhotoScape) is about the best.
Essex Skipper - Aston Rowant 02.08.2013
Essex Skipper - Aston Rowant 02.08.2013
Cheers,

Neil F.
A_T

Post by A_T »

Large Whites seem to be doing very well around here
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Isle of Mull

I have concluded that it is easier to report where Scotch Argus does NOT occur. So far, none in my garden although I have seen less than a kilometre away. Maybe just a matter of time before this common roadside butterfly is in the garden.

The three commonest species on Mull would seem to be: Green-veined White, Speckled Wood and Scotch Argus in that order. The rarest of those I have seen is Orange Tip with just two sightings (but several species that apparently do occur here not yet seen, eg Ringlet, Large Heath).

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sightings”