Best place for Butterflies and Moths in London?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
jj_researcher

Best place for Butterflies and Moths in London?

Post by jj_researcher »

Hello all!

We are a small production company called Kindle Entertainment and are currently in the process of making an educational TV series for CBeebies. The aim of the programme is to encourage inner city children and their families to get outside and explore their local parks and gardens with a focus on 'minibeasts'/invertebrates.

We are looking at 20 invertebrates (1 per episode). One of these is the butterfly, and also the Moth. (no one specific species). I was wondering if I could pick your brains on where you believe the best place to see them in London is? (a wild setting within the M25). I have the pressure of almost guaranteeing that we can find butterflies on a given day (impossible I know if it rains or is cold), so I am trying to find the place with the best chance of seeing them!

Id really appreciate your input. Thanks so much!

Will
will@kindleentertainment.com
millerd

Re: Best place for Butterflies and Moths in London?

Post by millerd »

You could try Horsenden Hill, Wembley (OS grid ref TQ163845). In a week or so, given good weather, you should see something and even on a dull day then Meadow Browns and Ringlets might be flying.

Dave
David M

Re: Best place for Butterflies and Moths in London?

Post by David M »

Perhaps a good idea would be to opt for one of the locations near the southern limit of the M25 where Chalkhill Blues can be found.

This species is particularly attractive and can usually be found in numbers in those places where it is resident.

Return to “General”