Forestry Commission spraying

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Mark Tutton

Forestry Commission spraying

Post by Mark Tutton »

I noticed the following, by Matthew Oates, on the Purple Empire website
" the Forestry Commission is proposing to aerial spray a small SSSI wood near Pangbourne, Berks, with Bacillus thuringiensis, which kills Lepidoptera larvae, in order to eliminate Oak Processionary Moth.  The wood is reputed to hold Purple Emperor.  Does anyone know this site - Herridge's & Broom Copses near Pangbourne? "

Whilst i am not familiar with this area it seems very worrying that the FC can apparently spray an entire copse with agents that kill larvae without consultation? I know this is quite close to Pete can any anyone shed any light?
Mark :twisted:
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pawpawsaurus

Re: Forestry Commission spraying

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

BC has issused this statement regarding the spraying.

Paul
millerd

Post by millerd »

I posted this link several days ago in a thread about Purple Hairstreaks, but curiously no one commented:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... ar-england

Dave
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Yet another instance of the damaging effects of imported non-native species... :evil: , in this case carried on/in imported Oaks. Genarally speaking, as with the imported Ash debacle, why on earth are these trees imported by organizations (Woodland Trust especially) to be planted up when they occur naturally here ?!
Very sad situation indeed, and totally avoidable.. :(
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Have just seen on my local news that the spraying commenced today. On checking the article on the FC website they state "Non-target caterpillar species present at the time might be affected, but are expected to re-colonise the area from surrounding woodland." however they are not specific about species but I would guess that it would be most? There is also reference to five year study post treatment to monitor the effects. It will be interesting to see? :o
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuts wrote:Have just seen on my local news that the spraying commenced today. On checking the article on the FC website they state "Non-target caterpillar species present at the time might be affected, but are expected to re-colonise the area from surrounding woodland." however they are not specific about species but I would guess that it would be most? There is also reference to five year study post treatment to monitor the effects. It will be interesting to see? :o
Yes I have just seen it on the local news as well :shock: . So the deed has been done, lets hope the consequences for non-target species is not too serious. I will not hold my breath though :(

Return to “Conservation”