Remove GPS info from EXIF data

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
MikeOxon

Remove GPS info from EXIF data

Post by MikeOxon »

dilettante wrote:Windows users can download Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools 2

Having started this hare, I'm very pleased to see that you have found a good solution :) It certainly seems to work on my old Windows XP system. I noticed that altitude and time data from GPS are retained.

I had been doing a little research too and came across this tool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ It's a very comprehensive tool for modifying any EXIF data (and a lot of other things as well) but is 'clunky' to use, since it needs to be driven from the command line. It does, however, provide a solution for MAC OS X users (and LINUX).

For WINDOWS, follow the instructions to place the file exiftool.exe in the Windows directory and then press the 'Start' button and select 'Run...'. If you then type in the box: exiftool -a -gps:all= DRIVE:\PATH\ FILE.jpg , where DRIVE is usually C, PATH represents the full path to your file and FILE is your photo file, ALL GPS info will be removed. There are some caveats associated with using the command line, as the PATH cannot contain spaces, so directories like 'Documents and Settings' have to be expressed in their DOS equivalent names. I may try to write a routine to automate this operation and will post here if successful.

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Re: Remove GPS info from EXIF data

Post by MikeOxon »

I've found a 'user friendly' Windows front-end for exiftool called Geosetter. Download from http://www.geosetter.de/en/

With this tool,it's easy to place your photos wherever you like on Earth - I tried putting some of mine on the equator at zero longitude :lol:

Mike
CFB

Re: Remove GPS info from EXIF data

Post by CFB »

Mike,

Another possibility is Picasa. I have a Canon PowerShot S100 which can be used to add GPS information to the EXIF data of a photo. Then Picasa can show the location on a map, but can also be used to change or delete the information, or to add it if, for example, a fix had not yet been obtained when taking a photo.
--
Colin

Return to “Photography”