Lapwings threatened by clay pigeon shooting on Gower

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Sylvie_h

Lapwings threatened by clay pigeon shooting on Gower

Post by Sylvie_h »

I am sorry if this is not related to butterflies but there is a new clay pigeon shooting ground at Whiteford in Gower very close to the National Trust Nature Reserve and about 200 meters away from the lapwings enclosure (OS coordinates SS435941). No doubt that this will create great disturbance not only for the lapwings but for the peregrine falcons, buzzards, kestrels, wheatears and whitethroats (the latter make their nests about 50m away from where the shooting takes place). This shooting ground was authorised by Swansea County Council (ludicrous) and has been active for about a month. Moreover, the shooting ground is very close to several public footpaths and the noise will be horrendous for anybody who want to get access to the National Trust Reserve from this end. This is very bad news for this beautiful area and a frustration for the staff of the National Trust who have worked very hard and succeeded in preserving the habitat for the Lapwings. According to Alan Keasley Evans who is the head ranger of Gower, there is nothing much they can do as this is on private land (see his comments below) but they have suggested that the more complaints the Council receives from the general public, the more likely they will have to do something about it, this was also suggested by Swansea County council when I rang them.

So for any of you who feel strongly about this, who live in the area or know Whiteford Burrows (very good area for the marbled white, grayling and small copper by the way), please email a letter of complaint asap to chris.dale@swansea.gov.uk who is the Footpath Officer at Swansea County Council.

This is what I wrote (to give you a picture of what is happening):
Dear Sir,
As a regular visitor of Whiteford Burrows, I was dismayed on April 1st to see that a clay pigeon shooting ground had been set up close to the National Nature Reserve. It is indeed ludicrous that such an antisocial sport was authorised so close to a public footpath and in such a beautiful and touristic area.
For the last 10 years, I have regularly enjoyed the peace and quiet at Whiteford and there is no doubt now that this peace and quiet will be broken by the sound of repeated shotguns. The noise will be so unbearable that most of the tourists, dog walkers, families and holiday makers will stop coming to the area. In the long term this will have a negative impact on the local economy. I cannot imagine what it must be like for people who live in the village itself. My concern also is for the unsupervised young children who play in the woods just above the shooting area. It would be a shame if their parents had to forbid them to play in these woods for fear of their safety.
Shotguns are antisocial and most of the visitors will feel threatened not only by the noise (which can definitively cause ear damage - there are many public footpaths close by) but by the shards of clay fluttering about. I did find some sharp debris of clay more than 50 meters away from the shooting area and on the public footpath. These are of a very bright orange colour and have been left scattered on the ground along with empty cartridges. A big metal container has been put there and is a real eyesore. Rubbish of any kind is also piling us. Quad bike tracks are visible. Motorised vehicles are a nuisance and add to the disturbance of the area. What is the sense behind all this?
Last but not least, the local wildlife will more than likely suffer from the disturbance of the noise. Whiteford is one of the last stronghold for the Lapwings in Glamorgan and the birds will be affected especially during the nesting period. The Staff at the National Trust have been working very hard and have succeeded in protecting this threatened species. It is evident that all their work and efforts will be destroyed in a few months. Other migrants such as Whitethroats nest very near the shooting ground. Hunting Peregrine Falcons, Buzzards, Kestrels and Wheatears who like to perch on the hill opposite the shooting ground will be frightened away. What will be left to see and enjoy once all these birds and many others have deserted the area?
I am asking you to reconsider the Council’s decision about this shooting ground. The shooting takes place twenty four days a year on two Saturdays every month, this is twenty four days where I will feel compelled not to visit Whiteford and many other visitors will feel the same. Let me reiterate the fact that in the long term, this will have a negative impact on the whole area. Whiteford is primarily a peaceful Nature Reserve, please keep it that way!
I am looking forward to receiving a reply which I hope will be positive.
Kind regards,
Sylvie Hérault

Here are the comments I received from Alan Keasley-Evans:

This is a hugely frustrating issue that has been ongoing for a few months now. This is the basic points as I am aware of them;

The council’s rights of way team have given permission for the shoot to happen near the footpath and he has been given permission by the police to have an event using firearms. The shoot isn’t on NT land so we can’t stop him and as he is only shooting on 24 days in the year he ducks under the 28 day rule which is when you start needing permissions for new commercial ventures. NRW may have some leverage to stop him if they can prove his disturbance to the lapwings but obviously this will be too late by time they are able to do anything.
I think the best thing to do by anyone who objects to the shoot is to make a formal complaint to the council as I think the only questionable issue we have any chance with is disturbance of the peace. I will keep an eye from an NT point of view and if the situation changes to where it directly affects us I will act immediately.

He has access to his land through NT property but this is his right written into the deeds when we acquired the land. We were aware of his plan to shoot earlier in the year and hoped that a more formal access agreement would give us some element of control; however this refers only to how many vehicles he can use at a time and a time restriction.

Many thanks
Alan

Return to “General”