Fixing a live butterfly's wing

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
FlutterbyCall

Fixing a live butterfly's wing

Post by FlutterbyCall »

Yesterday while out walking my dogs I found a damaged peacock butterfly. She has a broken leg, and where her back and front wing are supposed to join they don't. She can move she back wing but the front is hanging limply.
I've been looking around for anything on exactly how they are joined, and information on fixing a wing.
So far the only information I can find is if they are missing part of a wing, which she isn't.

So what I'm really wanting is: How does a peacock butterfly's back and front wing join together?

Thank you in advance.
FlutterbyCall

Re: Fixing a live butterfly's wing

Post by FlutterbyCall »

Just got her out to have a little look, looks like we lost the top wing at some point between getting her home and putting her in a box. Now trying to find someone with a dead one >_<
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Sadly, there is little you can do. Adult butterflies have very little capacity for growth and repair and when they are damaged, the damage stays.

In general, it is best to leave an injured butterfly where it is. If it cannot live productively it will at least be able to provide food for a hungry bird or lizard.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

Can she still fly? It is remarkable just how resilient butterflies can be and they can often fly when their wings are in a terrible state. If she can fly enough to feed then best let her go free the next time there is a sunny day.

It is kind of you to want to help but sticking another butterfly's wing on where the lost one was isn't really practical.
David M

Post by David M »

You could allow the butterfly to live out its life in your home environment. It can climb perfectly well and will take nectar from any plants you might have in the house.

Clearly, it will not survive long in the wild and as Guy says, it will doubtless soon become prey for a creature higher up in the food chain. If you don't wish to condemn it to this fate, then feel free to keep it indoors as it now has no role to play reproductively and consequently cannot add any benefit to future generations.
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

i found a red admiral years back that hadnt had its wings pumped up properly, so i took it in and fed it on some buddlia cuttings and fruit, but died after a couplr of days, but at least had abit of life :)

Return to “General”