December 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

December 2012

Post by David M »

Surely someone must come across a butterfly this month?

I checked out what's left of the flowering ivy at Cwm Clydach this morning (before the rain set in) and there wasn't even a fly to be seen!
Cotswold Cockney

Re: December 2012

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Dead flies, Hover flies and Bumble Bees only in my garden lately. Soaked during the rain then frozen to death when the skies clear during the night and the temperature drops rapidly. Still plenty of waxwings about locally too.

It's a sign ... :(
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We had a snow storm Thursday most landed on the Moors no chance of Butterflies where I live I'm afaid Goldie :(
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A hint of warmth in the sun yesterday (very pleasant :D ) and still a fair bit of Ivy in flower. I thought I would get out along my local footpaths with fingers crossed.
No luck unfortunately :( Though I was not expecting much.

How long is it till spring :?: :?: :?:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

FAO anyone in the Cumbria area -

just in case you're keen (aka crazy!) enough to visit Arnside Knott in search of Northern Brown Argus eggs, keep your eyes out for the THREE HUNDRED Waxwings up there today. Would be a nice diversion from all that rock rose scrutininsing, I'd imagine! :wink:

Noboby seeing any hibernating butterflies yet? This thread is incredibly blank thus far....

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Not seen any at all, Seth, though given that the forecast for Swansea is 11c and partly sunny tomorrow I might pay Cwm Clydach a quick visit to see if there's anything around.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Red Admiral reported on a couple of dates in Cornwall this December,and a Peacock on the 10th. Not seen by me,sadly.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hummingbird Hawk seen today (but not by me) at Easton on Portland, Dorset.

So there IS life out there after all! :D

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I was in my back garden getting some firewood when I saw our cat chase and catch something when I looked saw that it was a Peacock butterfly. I rescued it from the cat and put it in a safe place in the woodshed. I got a photo of it on my phone.

Have a great christmas and a happy new year.
Attachments
The Peacock is now safe in the woodshed
The Peacock is now safe in the woodshed
David M

Post by David M »

Did you disturb it from amongst the firewood, Reddog, or was it genuinely active of its own accord?
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Hi David M I dont think I disturbed the Peacock. I keep the firewood at the side of the house and the cat found the butterfly about 30feet away in the middle. of the garden.
David M

Post by David M »

Reddog wrote:Hi David M I dont think I disturbed the Peacock. I keep the firewood at the side of the house and the cat found the butterfly about 30feet away in the middle. of the garden.
Congratulations are in order then! A genuine December sighting is as rare as a dry week at this time of year!

I've only ever once seen a butterfly in December - it was the Saturday before Christmas in 2008 when a Red Admiral was flying around the hanging baskets outside Burton's in Abergavenny. Mind you, it was 13c and sunny at the time so maybe it wasn't such a bizarre event.

Return to “Sightings”