Waxwing irruption

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

Waxwing irruption

Post by MikeOxon »

We seem to be experiencing an irruption of Waxwings, so watch out for these delightful birds! - almost as colourful as butterflies! There are several flocks around Oxford,including one in St Giles churchyard,in the city centre. I took my photo in 2010, when there were large flocks close to my home, so I'm keeping a look-out for their imminent arrival.
Waxwing, Abingdon - 26 December 2010<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300lens - 1/350@f/9.5 ISO400
Waxwing, Abingdon - 26 December 2010
Nikon D300s with 70-300lens - 1/350@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike
P.J.Underwood

Re: Waxwing irruption

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Mike,
It seems that every few years we get a good influx of Waxwings.They appear first in the north and east and then slowly come southwards as they consume the berries.In Denmark this year they moved south rather quickly as there was not much food available,so they came here.They like supermarket car parks with all the berries.They were in the Ipswich area about a month ago.I have alerted people around Hambledon Surrey as we have a good chance of seeing some here.Their favoured places are around the cathedral at Guildford and trees opposite the church at Puttenham.However with the poor growing season I am expecting them to run out of food early so they may have to go even further south.
P.J.U.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's a great picture, Mike. I'm wondering whether to hang out fruit with my bird food this year, after seeing this video of waxwings gorging on apple (from the 2012 irruption, in the Hebrides):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS4HS1v1wM[/video]

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks for the comment, Guy - and an amazing video. I shall have to wander round the garden with an apple in my hand.

Mike
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Another Waxwing shot (566x800).jpg
Took this around 2 weeks ago when a flock visited Darley Dale near Matlock Derbys, also saw a flock fo around 30+ at Allestree Derby. Couldnt re-size my best effort to post it for some reason, this was the next best option. Hope you like :D
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:That's a great picture, Mike. I'm wondering whether to hang out fruit with my bird food this year, after seeing this video of waxwings gorging on apple (from the 2012 irruption, in the Hebrides):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS4HS1v1wM[/video]

Guy
Wow, that's amazing footage (and I never realised how beautiful and colourful Waxwings' long flight feathers were).
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

X-Posted from Padfield's thread ... :~

Clouded Yellows and Queen of Spains still about in the cold Swiss sunshine. Remarkable.

Very cold in Gloucestershire the past few days. Too cold for any insect flight. One or two dead Bumble Bees on the garden path. Frozen to death. They were nectaring on the Arbutus only a few days ago. Very little rain now and plenty of sunshine.

I'm expecting a harsh winter this time. There are reports of large flocks of Waxwings, Fieldfares, Redwings and a few Bramblings all over the county for the past couple of weeks or so. These regular winter visitors are much earlier and in larger numbers than most winters.
It's a sign ...
... ;)

I'm wondering what they know that we don't.

These images of the beautiful Waxwings from the Gloster Birder web site :~

One flock of 125 reported in Cheltenham closeby the office where my wife works :~

In all my three score years and ten observing wild things in the British Countryside, it was only a few years ago that I knowing saw Waxwings for the first time. A Flock feeding from the Rowan Berries on a small tree in a neighbour's garden.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Smashing photos everyone :-)

It doesnt surprise me that the waxwings are coming through early, I have been looking for sites with good amount of berries on which I can check when I know waxwings are in the area but there are very few trees/bushes with any berries on at all. Regardless of whether this is a cold winter or not it's going to be a hard ones for the birds as there is so little food about.

Definitely worth putting food out, including sticking apples on branches as well as the more usual bird food.

I put apples on branches every year, blue tits in particular enjoy them. Once they fall to the ground the thrushes eat them with gusto. I also sprinkle soaked raisins over the garden for the thrushes and pigeons in cold weather. Supermarkets sell value bags of dried sultanas which arent too expensive.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

They were up here three or four weeks ago, but they seem to have continued their journey down south and I haven't seen any in a while. They were eating the apples in my neighbour's garden and I was able to get within a few feet of them.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Some great photo's everyone.

I'm very lucky living in Sheffield, I see Waxwings every year as Sheffield seems to be one of the places that gets them even in non-irruption years. What's more amazing is that since I moved into my current house in 2010, I now get them in my front garden every year!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I just came across a flock of 50+ by the side of the road in S Cambs. Lovely! First time I've seen them.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

This picture was taken a few minutes walk from where my wife works.

A delight to the eyes.

Picture from a report on the Gloster Birder.

Reports of flocks of varying numbers from all over the county this past month. A delight to the eyes. Some seen even in the centre of Gloucester on the pavement feeding on fallen fruit from the ornamental trees.

With the exception of one small moth in the kitchen, no lepidoptera seen for several weeks now.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “General”