Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Grayling

I was slightly worried about Graylings. After an epic and frustrating search for Green Hairstreaks I thought it was going to be the same with Grayling. I’d been around and about on the heaths of Dorset (Arne, Purbeck and Hardy’s birthplace) in prime conditions but hadn’t seen any. Still Godshill was much better for them. I took an evening visit there and found one and the next time I went they were everywhere. This shot was the second of that trip and it’s my favourite as it obligingly moved for me. I’d focus in and mutter to myself “if only you were on that log” and it flew to the log. Then “if only you’d sit on the top” and it crawled to the top and finally “it only you’d move an inch to the right the grass wouldn’t be in the way”. Low and behold it did and remained there for the next 10 minutes while I got some shots and watched it. It was still there when I left – not like the others of the day which were very much snatch shots!
Grayling.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

didn't see any in the garden this year and only 1 around the forest. i spent a while with this one, it was a cloudy day and it was the only other butterfly i saw on the walk apart from a couple of large skippers. it didn't nectar for long before taking up the usual pose on the gravel.
grayling.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I had seen Graylings at Arnside Knott when I was there at the end of July but had not managed to get any decent photos other than a few record shots. I found them difficult to get close to on the loose scree on the slopes of the Knott where most of them were.

In September, I spent a week in Dorset and was happy to find them at a number of sites. I particularly like the female below that I found on a Buddleia at Durlston Country Park.
Grayling female - Durlston CP 03.09.2012
Grayling female - Durlston CP 03.09.2012
Also this mating pair in the early evening sun at Sandford Heath.
Grayling pair - Sandford 05.09.2012
Grayling pair - Sandford 05.09.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My discovery that there were Graylings at the Dawney's Hill site near Woking last year has given me another great species relatively close to home. I love their ability to fly in ungainly but surprisingly speedy fashion only to dive down and utterly disappear - or to jink behind you and settle on the back of your leg. Great characters. Difficult to choose as always, so here are three - one posed nicely nectaring on heather, one in camouflage mode on the mossy ground litter, and a final one with a typical Surrey heathland habitat backdrop with gorse and heather.

Dave
Attachments
GY3 resized.JPG
GY4 resized.JPG
GY6 resized.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The Downland colony of Grayling are only a few miles away and my visit this year was on a particularly hot day. Many were flying and they regularly settled on trousers as well as bush stumps. Later in the year I came across 2 or 3 flying on High and Over unexpectedly, a site where no Grayling have been seen for several years.
Attachments
DSC_0109 (800x556).jpg
DSC_0106 (800x565).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took some really great shots this year, for me any way :D But I like this one because of it's cheeky exprestion :D Goldie
Attachments
Grayling BDS 3rd Sept 2012 RSCN9710.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Although I've already had a go with Grayling, due to an enforced lay off I've been sorting out photos from the past and I came across some shots of a Grayling from August 2007. This was taken at the top of Windover Hill, near to Deep Dene where they are still found. It had settled on the main footpath just short of the brow of the hill. I was laying across the past on my belly getting the odd shot and waiting for the forewing to show. For just a split second this happened before it flew off. I was very lucky at this point as just after I stood up a mountain biker shot over the brow of the hill, if I was still laying on the ground it would have run over me. Who said that butterfly photography was a safe hobby!!!!
Attachments
DSC_1091 (800x532).jpg
DSC_1090 (800x532).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

This is a particularly interesting species behaviour-wise.

I was delighted to watch a courting pair in the Isle of Man in August; even more so when the male started to flick his wings open periodically to entice the female to come into contact with his androconial scales:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:This is a particularly interesting species behaviour-wise.
Indeed- and you caught this moment superbly!

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:
David M wrote:This is a particularly interesting species behaviour-wise.
Indeed- and you caught this moment superbly!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. My photography skills are limited but every now and again a rank amateur spends sufficient time to obtain a rare shot. Graylings WILL present themselves wings open occasionally (as a few others have recorded). You just need a bit of luck.

Return to “Grayling”