help with burnet moth id please!

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
petesmith

help with burnet moth id please!

Post by petesmith »

Any experts on burnet moths out there??
The attached 3 burnet pics were taken in the Queyras Regional Park in France last week (7-14th July). Looking at various online resources I am getting conflicting IDs from different websites!
Burnet 1 was taken at 2600m on open alpine grassland - my best guess is Z.exulans
Burnets 3 and 5 were taken at around 1800m in flower-rich sheltered meadows, my best guesses, Z.carniolica for 3 and Z.hilaris for 5, but I would welcome any opinions.

And just for entertainment value, if anyone wants to have a go at seeing how many Lycaenid species they can spot in the mud-puddling pic, I would be very interested to compare notes!

Many thanks for any help.

Pete
Attachments
burnet 1 id.jpg
burnet 3 id.jpg
burnet 5 id.jpg
aggregates blues and large ringlets id.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: help with burnet moth id please!

Post by Padfield »

I think 1 is exulans and all the others are carniolica - a very variable species. In hilaris the red markings on the forewings are typically more confluent and bordered with orange or cream rather than white.

I'm not an expert on Zygaenids - I just have some rather good books - so please don't consider that authoritative. I am closer to being an expert on alpine Lycaenids, though, and would love to see a higher resolution photo of that puddling group! I can make out damon, coridon, icarus, glandon and a Plebejus species but can't really see any details and would expect there to be more in there. I'd like to do the Erebia too! They look like predominantly aethiops but some have hints of euryale.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Identification”