French Alps - July 2012

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Reverdin

French Alps - July 2012

Post by Reverdin »

Roger Harding and I took a late decision to fly out to the French Alps at the beginning of July. I was familiar with the Geneva region, and wanted to explore a little further south, so Grenoble was felt suitable as a base. This would give access to the Ecrines and Queyras National Parks, as well as the beautiful Vercors region and further south into the Drome.

Everything went smoothly and we arrived during the early evening of Thursday 5th July. Our booked room turned out to be with a double bed... thankfully there was the same aaaaargh reaction from both of us :shock: ( would have been worse if ONE of us LIKED the idea!!!). So a single upgraded night into a family room would be followed by the rest of the week at another joint nearby. We regrouped at a local establishment, ate and drank well and planned the first full day....

Day 1 - 6th July 2012

We decided to hit the road long and hard, with our longest trip, into the Queyras, fantastic Haute- Alps scenery and a hot day were drank in on the 3 hour journey, with some pretty scary switchbacks along the way.

Roger spoke to Roger Gibbons and we met up at the site he had kindly pointed us towards... a lofty 2200m+ Alpine valley with stream running through the kaleidoscope of flowers and long grasses gently sloping either side into woodland.

We walked to a puddling spot rutted into the track... within seconds I had my first and long dreamt of encounter with the Silvery Argus, a smart male, happy to pose a while before disappearing off into the grassland.

Silvery Argus

He was accompanied by idas, glandon, mazarine and eros blues which were equally accomodating.

Idas Blue

Glandon Blue

Mazarine Blue

Eros Blue

I felt immediately like a kid in a candy shop, and didn't really know where to look... a profusion of species showed up along the way... probably the richest diversity I have ever witnessed. The highlight was the finding by Roger of what we eventually decided was a female Cynthia's Fritillary, puzzlingly some way from where the males were said to hang out.

Cynthia's Fritillary, female

We moved further up the valley to even higher altitude to where Roger G said we would find Cynthias more easily. We were pleased to find both this and Dewy Ringlets, and I met up with Alpine Blue again.

Cynthia's Fritillary, male

Dewy Ringlet, ups & uns

Alpine Blue, ups & uns

Roger H was blessed with a Small Apollo and friendly Peak White, both of which I missed as I wandered off... hopefully he will add pics in due course... they were pretty good!!! Roger also has a count of the number of species we think we saw.

We had to return relatively early to secure our room... which sadly turned out to be smaller than that needed to swing a cat... something RH does like to do now and again :twisted: . After eating at the "Hungry Hippo" :roll: we separated our single beds by the foot that the room allowed and spent the rest of the night trying to out-snore each other. :roll: :P
Last edited by Reverdin on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rogerdodge

Re: French Alps - July 2012

Post by Rogerdodge »

An excellent first day as Paul said.
I was particularly pleased to see the Cynthias, as I had missed them on our Swiss trip two years ago.
The Small Apollo were about the same size as the Apollo which was also flying there. That made for tricky identifications until they settled.
Roger G had never seen the Peak White in France before, so was delighted when my individual stopped and posed for him again - uncharacteristic behaviour for this restless species.
I ought to point out that, once again Roger G made our trip to France even more productive than it would have been thanks to his vast knowledge.
We ended up with 94ish species - the final total is dependant on a few pyrgus and erebia identification sort-outs.
Great company, great scenery, great butterflies.
Attachments
Cynthia Habitat
Cynthia Habitat
Small Apollo
Small Apollo
Peak White
Peak White
Peak White
Peak White
Cheers

Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm so happy for Roger! He did the right thing two years ago, though, as I couldn't have carried him down the mountain ... Cynthia's fritillary is a butterfly you never tire of and I hope you see many more. The female is definitely that, by the way. It's quite a characteristic look.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the days. You were lucky to miss the downpours that happened earlier in July - clever timing!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This looks like an excellent trip - and great photos!!

A quick question re. the photos. To aid my attempt to ID these unfamiliar French species, do your photo codes help with this? Are they linked to some other database with species info? I've seen others on here refer to the numerical codes of photos but am not sure what's going on!
Cheers,
Dave
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

sorry, the numerical codes are just those my camera allocated to the shot..... I will amend the above to name species better.... Guy's website is the best I know for showing a European database. :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Reverdin wrote:Guy's website is the best I know for showing a European database. :D
Thanks Rev! Before someone else does so for me, I'll add that Roger's and Matt's sites are probably even better! Matt's is notable for its completeness - he has been all over Europe tracking down obscure species (though he still doesn't have a page for sthennyo - ha!) - and Roger's for his amazing pictures and attention to detail.

I must update mine soon. Its younger cousins have grown up and overtaken it (I started my site in 1999, when there were very few butterfly sites on the web).

Guy

PS - have a list of useful European butterfly links here: http://www.guypadfield.com/links.html.
PPS - and I don't seem to give a link there to this site by Philippe Bricaire - a mutual friend of many of us: http://www.fleetingwonders.com/. He has spent a lot of time and energy making that both beautiful and useful.
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

padfield wrote:
Reverdin wrote:Guy's website is the best I know for showing a European database. :D
Thanks Rev! Before someone else does so for me, I'll add that Roger's and Matt's sites are probably even better! Matt's is notable for its completeness - he has been all over Europe tracking down obscure species (though he still doesn't have a page for sthennyo - ha!) - and Roger's for his amazing pictures and attention to detail.

I must update mine soon. Its younger cousins have grown up and overtaken it (I started my site in 1999, when there were very few butterfly sites on the web).

Guy

PS - have a list of useful European butterfly links here: http://www.guypadfield.com/links.html.
PPS - and I don't seem to give a link there to this site by Philippe Bricaire - a mutual friend of many of us: http://www.fleetingwonders.com/. He has spent a lot of time and energy making that both beautiful and useful.
Great links, thanks! Found Matt's very useful for testing myself on my Greek Blue IDs...
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

A question for Guy: we found male cynthia only at 2500m (and I found a few females at the same location last year) but the 2012 female was several km away and much lower at 2000m. Why was it so far away? How would the males locate her?

Similarly, I found female Shepherd’s Fritillary (Boloria pales) at the same 2000m location but again only found the males very much higher.

I see you decided – very wisely – not to publish the photo of the Dewy Ringlets (Erebia pandrose) feasting on the rotting carcass of a marmotte. As we observed at the time, in nature everything is part of the food chain.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Male cynthia seem to engage in hilltopping, in which case it would be the females who come and choose their males when they feel ready for it. :wink: Whether this is the sole mating mechanism or whether males also rode in search of females, as so many male fritillaries do, I don't know. Obviously it is far easier for us humans to find (and particularly photograph) the males at lek than it is when they are flying over often rather difficult terrain. I suspect that is why our encounters are so often at great altitude.

Guy
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 2 - 6th July 2012

Neither of us felt like as long a drive as yesterday. The traffic into the Alps seemed backed up last night, and with cycling going on nearby, we did not chance driving east. This left us with the Vecors just to the west, as recommended once again as suitable butterfly territory by Roger G. The drive meandered higher with magnificent views over sprawling Grenoble, and having stopped to admire this, a White Admiral joined us, nectaring avidly.

We moved on slowly, stopping in several places.
One pull-in yielded female Coppers, scarce we believe, although they were already too hot to photograph. A smart male Queen of Spain had to suffice.

Queen of Spain, male

Eventually we hit our most plentiful site, a chunk of rough flowery grass leading into coniferous woodland at approximately 1200m. This entertained us much of the day. Outstanding opportunities to photograph Coppers, and my second new species of the trip... Clouded Apollo, quite worn, but new all the same. I nearly lost all my photo attempts to over exposure.... but rescued one at least presentably.

Purple Edged Copper, male

Purple Edged Copper, female

Purple Edged Copper, underside, male

Silver Studded, female ( at least I think, rather than idas... :? )

Geranium Argus.... not on Geranium, but I'm sure!

Clouded Apollo

We lunched well at the road end, and made our way back to Lans en Vecors. From here we ventured south as far as Les Glovettes, not particularly promising as we got there but again we spotted a reasonable pull-in, again at 1200m. A flower stuffed meadow beckoned, and uphill we ventured.... Almond Eyed Ringlets were common ( throughout the trip)

Almond Eyed Ringlet

and finally Roger H found his first ( I think) magnificent male Amanda's Blue, which behaved well. Another good end to a day of devoted butterflying.

Amanda's Blue, male
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Another excellent day, topped, as Paul suggested by the beautiful Amanda's.
The coppers were particularly showy, and we had a tantalising fly past of a Woodland Grayling in one high woodland clearing.
Attachments
PurpleEdgedCopper2.jpg
AmandasBlue3.jpg
AmandasBlue.jpg
Cheers

Roger
NickB

Post by NickB »

Fabulous images, guys!
I can imagine the routine quite well :lol:
The Harding "Hire-cars CAN go anywhere....." approach certainly worked for us....
I noted the resting Peak White :wink:
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 3 -8th July 2012

Sunday. Some cloud around this morning, but promising to break up during the morning. We planned to go to a site where Asian Fritillary had been seen. Having found our way to the small pull-in next to a bridge over a sparkling stream we set off up the track (1200m).... unfortunately it was little short of trashed, as Forestry workers were hauling massive trees off the site. The Blue Honeysuckle was present.... but nothing else at all.
I determined to keep walking uphill until the carnage was left behind, but it was a long long slow way.... eventually I passed the last chewed ground and entered a stretch of woodland cleared by nature's scree.... butterflies at last!

Spotted Fritillary

(edit) Provencal Fritillary

Sooty Copper

As the morning went on we met up again and decided to abandon our Asian Frit quest... another year maybe. On the way back to the car our eye was caught by a bunch of twitching Camberwell larvae... never seen that before.

Eventually arriving back at the car, there were other butterflies around, and a new species for me.... Tufted Marbled Skipper.

Driving onward, aiming for the Col du Glandon, we found a site in the shadow of a huge dam, (1500m) where along the road butterflies were gathering on patches of something on the ground. All was far too hot, and nothing paused long enough to photograph... and I only came away with this photo of what I assume to be a Piedmont Ringlet..

Further up the mountain we were blocked by a cycle race, resembling, but not I think the Tour de France... had to turn back. I stepped out to see what was around,(1800m), and took a photo of this wierd and tiny skipper... the fringe gives the best idea of just how little. Roger G has since told me what he thought it must be, but sadly I've forgotten, and need reminding!

The last species in the area was a lovely fresh Chalkhill Blue.

As we retraced our tyres, we could see a waterfall, with cars nearby way off to the right... and Roger H, being Roger, determined to get there.... well I wouldn't have taken MY car up the road to it! :roll: .. but what a fantastic setting, wildness and flowers were recapturing this abandoned bit of metalled road, and the waterfall was magnificent! Butterflies were all around again, but still far too hot to handle!

Another great day.

Last edited by Reverdin on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Rev. That fritillary underside is not phoebe (unless you trump me by producing an upperside...). I'd suggest it's most likely deione, both from the general appearance of the uns and the very pale palpi.

I'm interested in that tiny skipper!! It's difficult even to hazard a guess, given that it's definitely 'come out wrong' in at least some ways. I hope Roger will say what he suggested.

Sorry about the intermedia. My experience is that this is a rather low density butterfly and I usually spend a (very pleasant) day seeing just a handful at my Swiss site. If your site has been disturbed recently it is not surprising that they have moved off somewhere else within the larger area.

Guy
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

hmmmmm.... I'm delighted to go with that - was just basing ID on what I could see of the forewing edge... it was a beautiful butterfly.... and I suffered from photographer's yips, otherwise I would have a spectacular upperside to show!

and Roger.... we have another species!, as well as the Piedmont, is that 96?

I think RG might have said serratulae, but not sure!!

Yes... shame about the Asian.... the site sure was messed up, bigstyle. :(
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Paul
We saw Provencal the next day. Also I had Knapweed down for the following day, so we haven't "lost" one.
Piemont is new and brings it to 95.
Cheers

Roger
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Below is the email I sent at the time that died with Paul's laptop. At the location we were at, only malvae and cacaliae were flying: (note how I carefully bounced it back to Guy)

My initial reaction is that it is an aberration, judging from the smudginess of the markings. It looks like the white markings should have been more extensive especially in the cell area, which may tend to rule out warrenesis. Hard to say what it actually is, as aberrations always are, but I would guess malvae from the size and wing shape (warrenesis has noticeably narrow wings).

This is a carthami from the Col de la Cayolle (2320m) last year, with smudged out markings
http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... es_10Jul11_

This is the one I have seen for sure:
http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... es_15Jul11_

This (30804) was very small at <site> on the second day, very small and a candidate warrenensis I think.
Pyrgus_30804.JPG
Matt’s page:
http://www.eurobutterflies.com/species_ ... nensis.htm

It would help if it were from a known location (there is no logic to this assertion, I agree) as it has only been found at two locations in France.

There is a skipper ID thread running on UKB – see what Guy thinks.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

What an amazing range of butterflies. I can't wait to see more!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I hope Matt won't mind my pointing out to you, as I pointed out to him (and he readily agreed), that the first four pictures of warrenensis on his site are cacaliae. :D It came up when we were preparing pictures for the app and I saw he had stuck in some warrenensis of dubious identity! Cacaliae doesn't have a centre white spot at the base of the hindwing underside but it is often white there, as in his fourth picture - just not demarcated. The ups are a giveaway too, with that very characteristic powdery grey. True warrenensis has a rather blotchy gold look. Sadly, I only have netted individuals to show, but here is one:

This is a different individual - also female, unfortunately:

For the record, the underside of the warrenensis I caught showed a very complete discal band - even more complete than alveus - though I don't know how much can be read into two individuals.

I need to go back to that site and photograph some in natural surroundings!

I think Paul and Roger's aberrant butterfly is compatible with warrenensis but not with cacaliae. However, as we all agree, being clearly aberrant it can't readily be compared against the usual standards. It could, as Roger says, be malvae/malvoides.

Guy
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 4 -9th July 2012

We travelled further down the Vercors today, towards the Col de St Alexis, at about 1200m. With no specific site in mind, we ended up in a small skiing centre, with a tempting looking path up into the conifers, and towards the Col.

Within a couple of minutes we saw our first Purple Shot Copper of the trip, just out of easy reach. Roger managed a photo, but then it set off, settling even further up the rocky face... I made the very silly decision to climb up after it, fell down and ouch :x ... bit of a scrape... thankfully the camera was ok :wink: . The PSC had by now flitted off over the trees, never to be seen again. :roll:

Onwards up the track with bruised shin and ego :oops: .... eventually the track opened out into a meadow of tall grass and flowers. The butterflies were fast, too much for my camera, and I took few shots. There were not many Blues, we saw just Small and Large Blues, but Coppers were well represented. Medium sized Frits abounded and Apollos fluttered. Hayfever and Horseflies took over my day, forcing me back down the hill. The most spectacular insect of the day was indeed a species of horsefly about an inch long with a viscious bite - saw me off alright.!

Scarce Copper

Lunch in the village. The telepherique was working! Up to the top, to see hilltopping Swallowtails, erebia and other fast movers. The slow walk down bought some low flying fast military jets, screaming by, love to see that sort of thing!..

Swallowtail

Silver Studded Blue

The last decent butterflying was behind the largely empty blocks of ski Chalets, where there was a Long Tailed Blue female, providing me a poor record shot only, and what I assume is a Carline Skipper. Not as fruitful a day

Carline Skipper
Last edited by Reverdin on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Overseas”