can you take a catpillar home ?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
feralkitten

can you take a catpillar home ?

Post by feralkitten »

i found out that the catpillars i found are peacocks and now my hubby and kids want to go back to get a few as from what i read there about to turn into butterflys soon and the eat stingy nettles . is it ok to do that and if so how is best to care for them untill we let them go as butterflys . i was thinking about taken 5 as they like to be togther
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: can you take a catpillar home ?

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Sarah,

Rearing caterpillars is a great way to entheuse the kids and give them an appreciation for the wonders of nature. With a species as common as this one it will be perfectly acceptable to take 5 home and watch them develop. A perfect environment would be an old aquarium (but keep a lid or fine netting on it). Actually any container would do, but it needs to allow daylight and air to get in. You will also be able to observe them better as well. Keep it out of direct sunlight or anywhere where it can get too hot and regularly topped up with fresh stinging nettle tops. Don't forget to clean out the droppings and old food every two or three days. Judging by you photo, they look like they have completed 2 moults so still have 2 to go. At a later stage you may need to lean some long twigs in the container so that they can attach themselves to them when they pupate into a chrysalis.

Be prepared for some of the caterpillars to die. This may be for a number of reasons, including disease or parasitism, and would not usually be through any fault of yours. If they huddle up at the top of the plant and stop moving for a day or so, do not be alarmed, this will be a resting phase prior to a new moult.

I have actually got some I am rearing at the moment in connection with a report that I am preparing, but they are slightly older than yours. If you keep us updated of your progress we can give you further advice.

Vince
feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

geat we will def keep you updates i maybe will do a wee blog on them lol i have a fish tank so that fine i can do that . what best a mess lid or a a fish take with a light on it ?
we are gona take 6 now as there is 6 people in are family me , hubby and 4 kids so it will be good to have one each to name we wont be able to tell them apart but thats part of the fun.
i'm going to get them tomorow as i need to set up there new home tonight and a container to brng them home in as there safety is my main concern
feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

do they need water ? if so do they need it sprayed in or a wee dish ? sorry i have looked after baby heghogs and birds but niver catpillars lol
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Sarah,

Having seen your latest photos I think that these may be Small Tortoiseshells rather than Peacocks, but time will tell. Regardless of the species, they will not need a supply of water or to be sprayed. A mesh top would be best for the tank, but if you do use the old top with the light in it, make sure the light is not switched on as this will overheat the caterpillars.

If you can show us some more photos of the caterpillars when they get larger I can then confirm the species.

Vince
feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

lol my little catpillers are causeing some comfusing at least there making this intersting lol

Return to “General”