Moths ID + Fly/Beetle

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
BrockwellBee

Moths ID + Fly/Beetle

Post by BrockwellBee »

Trap set last night (1st July) in an urban residential garden in London. Would you mind telling me the species name of these moths? I am a complete beginner so sorry if these are really common!

I understand these are Micro Moths (they were pretty small) so used a macro lens to photograph them. I am not sure on the beetle/fly either. Thank you so much for any help and for being patient with a beginner!

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Moths ID + Fly/Beetle

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi there - not sure I can help here! However, I did want to mention that you can attach images directly to a post using the "Upload attachment" option; you seem to have posted your images to the April 2009 monthly photo competition!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I can't help with identities either, but have moved the images into a personal album
gallery/album.php?album_id=2166 where they can be inspected in greater detail.

Vince
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Just to start things off - this will put you in the right area I think.

1) Hymenoptera (bees/wasps etc)
2) is a macro-moth - one of the Noctuidae - possibly one of the yellow underwings??
3) Pyralidae - Scopariinae (these are difficult)
4) Tortricidae?
5) not sure
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi BrockwellBee
I have got hold of a trap myself and am enjoying trapping in my garden when the weather permits. There are plenty of moths out there so learning to identify them takes some considerable time. I'm pretty much a novice too having only got into the hobby last year.
The last three of your pictures look like micro moths which people usually graduate onto once they're more familiar with the Macro Moths. Just to confuse matters not all the macros are big and not all the micros are small. If you haven't got one already I would recommend a book such as Waring and Lewingtons Concise Guide to the moths (macro) of Britain and Ireland (paperback around a tenner). With respect to the ID's, I wouldn't disagree with Matsukaze's assessment except that I think the 2nd is a Pale Mottled Willow.

Happy trapping

Phil
JKT

Post by JKT »

I agree with Philzoid on second: it is either that or very close relative.
For the fourth I'll tentatively offer Cydia pomonella and for the last I'd go for Tortricidae. The genus could be Cnephasia or close to it.

Return to “Identification”