Visitng Cumbria - Sites and Species

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Yashca

Visitng Cumbria - Sites and Species

Post by Yashca »

A friend of mine has got some time off work this coming weekend (30th June, 1st July) and we were wondering about visiting Cumbria if the weather holds up.

The main butterfly that comes to mind is the Mountain Ringlet, so I wondered if they were out on the wing, where is the best place to look/ time of day etc.,

I also wondered what other species are likely to be on the wing that I've not seen before. Northern Brown Argus would be a new one as well, so any reliable sites would be much appreciated, and the same goes for Large Heath. I don't know if it is too early for High Brown Fritillary and Grayling, or too late for Marsh Fritillary & Pearl Bordered fritillary, s any local knowledge would be very much appreciated. The weather looks a bit mixed at the moment for the weekend, so feel free to tell me I've got no chance.

If anyone knows the area well, then I would love to know any good sites for anything else unusual, Orchids, Slow worms, etc., I think White-Faced Darter can be found in Cumbria can't it?

Only just come up with this idea today, so quite short notice planning. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Goldie M

Re: Visitng Cumbria - Sites and Species

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Yashca, the only place I know that has Marsh Fritilary is in North Cumbria, they've been reintruduced there. The place is called Finglandrigg Woods NNR west Carlise. This may be abit out of your way though. I personally like Gaits Barrow NR, it's got the Northern Brown, High BF Dark GF, they should be about ready to come out now, weather permitting of course :D I was up there recently no sign of them yet .
The Slipper Orchid was out there, don't know if it will be when your there.
Gaits Barrow is inbetween Arnside and Silver Dale map ref SD 478 774 , also PBF and SPBF are there hopes this helps you Goldie :D
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

I'll certainly have to give Gait Barrow a go, Northern Brown would be great, hopefully there might be a High Brown out there this weekend? The first Dark Green has been reported in Yorkshire already, so they can't be too far off. You say SPB and PPb are there as well - both still on the wing?

I might give the Marsh Frits a miss this time, they are quite a bit further north and right at the end of their season anyway.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yes Yashca, both SPBF and PBF were flying last week, I didn't see too many PB but there was certainly lots of SPBF. You may want to check the weather before you go has the last 2 days it's been dreadful up there, land slides, you name it. Then again Gaits Barrow has it's sheltered spots, follow the White posts for the short Route and the Purple for the long. I perfer the White myself. There are pictures posted along the way for the Slipper Orchid, you follow them and you'll come to the White post first. Carry on, don't take the White path and you'll come to the Purple post thats where the Slipper Orchid was, or is, I'm not sure now if their still at their best.
If you go to the Lake D another place you could visit which, has all the species you mentioned is, Leighton Moss, you have to pay to go in there though, you could use their car park to go to to the newly opened Myers Allotment if you do that it's easy to find. Come out of the car park(after P)turn right onto the lane, at the top turn left, walk until the first turning right,(be careful you'll be on the main road and there's no foot path, it's only a short distance up the road though) walk up that lane and you'll see the gate and the sign post. I'm not sure what MA is like we only found it after we'd walked alot that day so we left it for another day. Good luck if you go, if you don't you've still got the information for another time Yashca Goldie :D
Photo taken 18th of June 2012
Attachments
SPBF 18th JUne 2012 GB 036.JPG
LauraS56

Post by LauraS56 »

No High Brown at Gait Barrows as of last Weds when I did the transects (warden being on holiday) though NBA, SPB and DGF were present. The weather since then has been unfavourable, to put it mildly.

As we all know, despite the topic title, Gait Barrows is in Lancashire.......
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

Thanks everyone for the advice. As was astutely pointed out, the weather was dreadful, and I ended up sitting at home weeping instead.

Well, actually I went and found an adder in the drizzle. Good, but not quite the same.

But, as Goldie said, I do have the information for another time. Maybe next year?

Return to “Sites”