Heath fritillaries out yet?

Discussion forum for sightings.
dilettante

Heath fritillaries out yet?

Post by dilettante »

We had a single report of heath fritillaries in Essex on 26th May (http://www.cambs-essex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.php, but I've not seen any more reports. Has anyone here seen them this year? Is a trip to Hockley Woods next week likely to be worthwhile?
Hoggers

Re: Heath fritillaries out yet?

Post by Hoggers »

Eight reported at East Blean NR near Canterbury today - see Kent BC site
kevling

Post by kevling »

Small numbers of Heath Fritillaries have been seen at Hockley Woods and Hadliegh Wood nre Rayleigh. Weather dependent of course.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Yep, I've seen some reports (and excellent photos). I nearly went on Sunday, but decided to go to nearer Fleam Dyke instead. Given how few butterflies I saw there, and the chances of any decent weather any time soon, I wish I'd made the trip to Hockley. Nearby Starvelarks Wood seems to be doing OK for Heath Fritillaries too.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

If you are travelling to Essex, Little Haven/Starvelarks is looking in superb condition and has had the best counts thus far, 12. Nice to see some heather growing there as well. Pound Wood is looking good and Hockley Wood has had some work this winter - both have had sightings. But this week's weather looks poor and you may only see the odd one basking if at all. Emergence seems slow this year.

Return to “Sightings”