Whixall Moss

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Debbie

Whixall Moss

Post by Debbie »

Can anybody please tell me about Whixall Moss and where we should go when we get there?

Any tips welcomed :)

Debbie (DMS)
David M

Re: Whixall Moss

Post by David M »

I went to Whixhall's neighbour, Bettisfield, last June. There were plenty of Large Heaths on the wing although they will be a little later this year so probably late June/early July would be better.

Giving directions is tricky as the entire site is surrounded by minor roads and it is easy to lose one's bearings.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I parked over the bridge in the NNT carpark from the canal. I then went out of the car park and turned left up the track and into the site by the big gate. To a long grassy area that leads you up to a dirt track cross road (there may be a hide nearby).
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Debbie,
Park by the canal in the CP at SJ493354. Walk NW down the grassy track opposite the CP, passing the bungalow to your right. After a couple of hundred metres you will come to a juction at SJ490358, where the moss becomes open and clear of scrub. Turn left and you should start seeing Large Heath in the boggy areas to your right. Bog hopping can be treacherous (and is discouraged) but there should be enough within reach along the track margins. To the left of you will now be the area of birch scrub - keep a look out for Argent & Sable day-flying moths (rare and very pretty). Further along this track, near the scrapes and standing water, you may see the rare White-faced Darter dragonfly.
Good luck, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Crowle Moors in the extreme north of Lincs was certainly good in 2010. Easy to get to, park and find the butterflies.
Mind you, lots of other less appealing insects will find that you make a very tasty meal :P

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=47 ... 14820&lm=0

Jack
A_T

Post by A_T »

All around the edge of the Moss where there are trees and wild flowers you might see Peacocks, Brimstones (Spring and then again in August), Green Hairstreaks (May and June), Ringlets and Meadow Browns (late June and July). White-faced Darter and Black Darter dragonflies also perch on shrubs on the edge of the Moss. The course of the old railway line which runs west/east on the northern end of the Moss is particularly good in late summer. For Large Heaths in June and July you need to go inwards away from the trees - in the pools here can be found damselflies.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Many thanks to everybody for the information, I did pop up to Whixall last weekend but as soon as I arrived the sun went in :( - my outing was before I read the posts, so a return trip is a must.

On the way there I a saw a white, speckled wood and when I arrived I saw brimstone and a fleeting glance of a brown / green butterfly which I hope would be a GHS. All flying very fast and not coming close enough to try photographing or returning for a second fly past.

I did manage this record shot of this moth - I have not had chance to ID it yet.

Looking forward to my return trip. :) :) :)
Thanks Debbie
Attachments
IMG_3567.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hello Debbie,

Pity about the weather conditions for your trip to Whixall Moss, hope you have much better weather and luck for your intended return visit :roll: 8)

Your moth could be Silver-ground Carpet Xanthorhoe montanata - they're easily disturbed from herbage.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Good luck on your return visit Neil and AT spot on with directions you should see Large Heaths if you go on a sunny day in a couple of weeks or so :D
Tricky to be exact as the weather has gone all to pot this year

Return to “Sites”