Is This Cuckoo Flower ?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Paul Harfield

Is This Cuckoo Flower ?

Post by Paul Harfield »

I have been looking round my local patch over the last few weeks identifying where particular foodplants grow. I have not been able to find Cuckoo Flower anywhere except one particular boggy area where there are a few plants.

I visited my parents this evening and was surprised to see this growing out of my parents lawn.
Cuckoo Flower ?
Cuckoo Flower ?
Cuckoo Flower ?
Cuckoo Flower ?
Cuckoo Flower ?
Cuckoo Flower ?
Could somebody confirm that this is Cuckoo Flower. There are maybe 10 or so individual plants but they are all quite small less than 6 inches high. I have never noticed them there before, either recently or when I was growing up. Unusually they have not mowed their lawn recently due to the weather so maybe that is why I have not seen them before. My Mum proudly told me she pulls it out because it gets every where. I think she is getting confused with a similar looking plant, Hairy Bitter Cress which has similar leaves.

I have brought one plant back home with the intention of planting it in my garden, I have also instucted my Mum to preserve the plants or save the seed for me. Will I regret this? I have a small garden that is generally on the wet side for most of the year. Is Cuckoo Flower a perennial plant and if so does it increase in size/height each year?
Susie

Re: Is This Cuckoo Flower ?

Post by Susie »

Yes, that's cuckoo flower and I don't think you'll regret having it in the garden. It doesnt get too big and although it self sets it isnt a nuisance.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Spot on Susie! Cuckoo Flower is a lovely addition to a damp garden. It is perennial,whereas Hairy Bittercress is not. If growing in sun or light shade, Orange Tips might lay their eggs on them!
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

I've had 4 plants growing in my garden for 2 years and last year they ended up covered in Orange Tip caterpillars. Well worth having.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

If they are in an area of lawn that is due to be cut, dig them up with a good core of soil and replant. It's so wet now that I have moved a number that managed to flower in my lawn into the wildflower patch.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Many thanks for confirming the id Susie, JohnR, Butterfly Gardener and essexbuzzard.

I will make sure I retrieve the remaining plants from my parents garden. I will also try and convince them to encourage some in their own garden. Maybe in a couple of years there will be Orange Tips laying eggs in both gardens :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

If you look further down this section of the forum and read the thread about cuckoo flower it will explain how to propagate cuckoo flower very easily.

I've also got cuckoo flower growing wild in my front lawn at the moment. I never know quite what is going to turn up there as it used to be woodland and I get all sorts of things. There are some beautiful wild bluebells - it's a good excuse not to cut the grass! :D
A_T

Post by A_T »

It's a lovely flower - I have some of it in my lawn and delay mowing where it is until it's died off. I have always called it Lady's Smock.
Wattsy

Post by Wattsy »

its edible too quite a nice peppery flavour
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wattsy

Yes I did read that it is edible, as is Hairy Bitter Cress. Is it the whole plant ie flowers, leaves and stalks or just leaves :?: I assume one would eat it like Watercress :?:
Wattsy

Post by Wattsy »

I've eaten it all apart from the roots with no ill effects

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”