Unknown Species of Swallowtail Like Butterfly

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
PhilB

Unknown Species of Swallowtail Like Butterfly

Post by PhilB »

Living in South Cumbria, I was more than a little surprised to see an Butterfly showing chracteristics of a Swallowtail in the garden this morning.

I have had experience of the Common Swallowtail in Continental Europe and this clearly was not one. It was predominantely white - the markings were more reminiscent of a Large White, although the size and presence of a swallowtail clearly meant it wasn't.

There was surprisingly little black on the forewing - just really at the tips. Again not like Common or Scarce. The butterfly was in good condition with little sign of abrasion.

I am a reasonably experienced butterfly observer, but am completely mystified and cannot see it in any of the European guides.

Phil
Pat

Post by Pat »

hi Phil
what about a swallow tail moth, its yellow, but goes whiter with age, and has brown spots on base of tale, re Field guide to moths of Britain and Ireland
Pat
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Phil
I think Pat could be right - was this the one?
The Swallow-tailed Moth Ourapteryx sambucaria

Brian
PhilB

Swallowtail

Post by PhilB »

Thanks for the photo. It was definetly a Swallowtail butterfly sp and not a moth. I am inclined to think that it was an escape from somewhere.

Return to “Identification”