resizing photos

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Stevie69

resizing photos

Post by Stevie69 »

I wonder if someone could help, I have resized photos and they have uploaded to my Gallery, but will not show up on a post. Using photoshop could someone possibly run through the process via photoshop how to get the right sizing, I would be very greatful. Steve
Catteraxe

Re: resizing photos

Post by Catteraxe »

Hi Steve,

Not sure what the original format of your photo is, but if it is RAW you will need to make sure you select 8 bit colour then you can do a 'Save As' jpeg format, changing the pixel size to 800 x 600 in the small window that displays. Your image should then upload OK.

C
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I use the crop tool set to 640 x 480 pixels and then use 'save to web' and adjust the quality to give a final file-size of about 100kb. I then use 'Upload attachment' on this site and use the option to place inline. I use the 'File comments' to record the location and date, and camera exposure details.

Note that there is a 'Test' area in the forum, where you can try things out until they work!

After the crop, it is sometimes necessary to adjust contrast and sharpening to get the best effect at the new size.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Stevie69

Post by Stevie69 »

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a go. Steve
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

That's interesting, Mike.

What I do is open in Microsoft Picture Manager and crop in there. If it's going to be a full frame image, such as a landscape, I'll compress file size here instead.

I then open in PS and sharpen and adjust saturation if neccesary.

Now granted I know pretty much naff all about PS, am I wasting my time?

NB - I do know I need to try the other sharpening techniques posted about a while back, as I just use 'sharpen' at the moment.

Any advice taken!

Thanks

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Any advice taken!
As the saying goes - there are many ways to skin a cat.

I actually have a handy little free app called VSO Image Resizer, which allows me to re-size directly from Windows Explorer but I'm not sure if it is still available. Otherwise, I use the method in PSE as I described before.

The 'sharpen' command is rather inflexible, which is why I use 'Unsharp Mask', where you can make various adjustments to get the best effect on your photo.

Photoshop has seemingly endless 'nooks and crannies' - I still keep discovering new ways of doing things after many years! I describe a few techniques in the technical notes on my website.

Mike
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Mike - I will have a search through your website when I have a bit of time.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “General”